Opeth - Garden of the Titans: Live at Red Rocks Blu-ray/DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

von kulper

500 Club - QQ All-Star
The title is confirmed for release for 11/02/2018; however, I haven't read anything concerning a surround mix/audio formats, so I stuck this in the rumor section until more info is available

Anyway, it's up for pre-order here:

http://nuclearblast.com/opeth-gardenofthetitans

https://store.moderbolagetrecords.com/

But I'm sure it'll be readily available at the Amazons and Bullmooses of the world, soon enough.

Track List includes:

01. Sorceress (live)
02. Ghost Of Perdition (live)
03. Demon Of The Fall (live)
04. The Wilde Flowers (live)
05. In My Time Of Need (live)
06. The Devil's Orchard (live)
07. Cusp Of Eternity (live)
08. Heir Apparent (live)
09. Era (live)
10. Deliverance (live)

And here's the live performance of Sorceress.

Their second release from Nuclearblast, who if you recall, completely botched the surround for the Sorceress release (so I've read; I refused to purchase it...) If this does contain a surround track, hopefully they put a bit more effort in to it this time.

I'm torn because I love Opeth but I'm still really upset about that awful Nuclearblast "surround" release of Sorceress. What makes it even worse is that all of the previous 5.1 catalog from the band has been great, so it was really an unexpected and unwelcome surprise.

I hear ya. I felt that it was kind of a middle finger from Opeth - First to do such a piss-poor job of the surround mix, then top it off by sticking it in an expensive deluxe set. Being so chummy with Steven Wilson and having him work on a number of surround projects for Mikael Akerfeldt, the Opeth guys KNOW what a good surround mix sounds like. So... it can only mean they didn't really give a shit. How you go from the Heritage, Pale Communion, Deliverance/Damnation 5.1 set to Sorceress is beyond me.

The main album sounds like garbage too and it's a real shame because the songs are good but the mixing is atrocious - too muddy and full of bloated, flabby bass.

It wouldn't surprise me if this gets a piss poor 5.1 Dolby digital mix with reverb only on the rears. Probably a Dolby digital stereo mix too.

Also the set is rather short (I make it around 75-80min), a shame 1 or 2 more songs were not played.

I felt that it was kind of a middle finger from Opeth - First to do such a piss-poor job of the surround mix, then top it off by sticking it in an expensive deluxe set.
Actually, there's a 2CD+DVD-V [DD] configuration with the 5.1 mix (apparently the disastrous one) that isn't that expensive. Still, I'm not buying. What they could do is including a surround remix on the upcoming blu-ray... or at least mix the concert properly (The Pineapple Thief, anyone?).

Actually, there's a 2CD+DVD-V [DD] configuration with the 5.1 mix (apparently the disastrous one) that isn't that expensive. Still, I'm not buying. What they could do is including a surround remix on the upcoming blu-ray... or at least mix the concert properly (The Pineapple Thief, anyone?).

Hmmm, first I've seen that one. I'm wondering if that's a strictly European version. But, yeah, not buying (n).

Don't buy it, not worth it...
Oh, it was you who took one for the team this time around, right? Thanks again!

Well, I've got a friend who is a big fan and just can't believe Opeth would come up with a terrible surround mix... so I'm not buying AND not telling about this cheaper option.

Fingers crossed they get it right next time for us, the fussy bunch;)

It's as muddy as the stereo version, and I'm pretty sure it's just an upmix... sounds like one anyway.
Nowhere close to Pale Communion. Shame shame shame o_O

Got the beast ;)

The stereo mix is really really good. Won't try the surround until this week-end.
Never heard "Sorceress" better.

Opeth SW Blu-Ray.png

The surround mix of Opeth is very disappointing, I am going to stick with the stereo... And only 90 minutes with no extras and no standalone Blu-ray.

I’m reading a lot of opinions on this thread stating the surround mix is Terrible... are we talking about the live Blu-ray or the Sorceress DVD? (I’m kind of interested in the live Blu-ray :) )

I'm talking about the Live Blu-Ray now.

The rip is done. From the sound waves it seems that there's activity on the rear channels, Mikael voice in on center channel (with a little leakage of guitar I might add...)

But the 2.0 track is clipped. WTF, no problem with the "Studio Master" stereo download from Qobuz :mad:

Ok, keeping the stereo download and the 5.1 from the Blu-Ray.

I'm talking about the Live Blu-Ray now.

The rip is done. From the sound waves it seems that there's activity on the rear channels, Mikael voice in on center channel (with a little leakage of guitar I might add...)

But the 2.0 track is clipped. WTF, no problem with the "Studio Master" stereo download from Qobuz :mad:

Ok, keeping the stereo download and the 5.1 from the Blu-Ray.

Clipped audio, really? That's pretty disappointing.

Back