OPPO 103 advice

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not being argumentative but you're not acknowledging the blatantly obvious.
The difference between the Oppo-93 & Oppo-95 which was carried over to the 103 & 105 is the analog audio output section.
To believe that Oppo would market a $600 player and a $1200 player where the only difference is the analog output section and to
maintain that Oppo recommended the best audio output for both of these series players would be HDMI, WHICH BYPASSES THE ANALOG OUTPUT SECTION is ludicrous.

Al,

The primary difference of these players is the analog audio conversion accuracy and the ability to use the device as an external DAC.

We recommend using HDMI for all audio and video with the BDP-103/D players, HDMI for video sources and analog for audio sources when using the BDP-105/D players. You want to use HDMI for video sources because Bitstream will allow the receiver to do better audio processing like room and speaker correction, which is not available for analog. This kind of correction will make video sources, like movies or television shows, sound better in most multi-channel configurations.

While analog audio will sound better with audio source, like CDs and SACDs, because the quality of analog conversion is second in performance only to the amplification.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]

So it has firmware version BDP9x82-1009 so this would be ISO support removed, is that correct?

So what is this ISO support thing all about anyway? I can play iso files on my Oppo 105. Played an iso of Foreigner 4 just the other day. Burned the file to disc with imgburn.

I'm not an expert on the .iso thing but here's what I know about the Oppo's capability.

Certain Oppos are capable of playing SACD-R which I'm assuming is a SACD ripped to .iso and burned to whatever while still retaining the .iso format.
If the SACD .iso thing is a big deal there's no reason once you have a .iso ripped from a disc to bust it to .dsf file.
It can be done on any PC.
The key part is being able to get a SACD into .iso format in the first place.

Up until a few months ago you needed a first gen PS3 and certain software to rip a SACD disc to a .iso file on a USB stick.
You take that .iso file, copy it to your PC and run a program that busts the .iso to the .dsf format.

Recently, some smart guy figured out that Oppo 103-105s with the right software can rip SACDs to .iso files and then convert to .dsf.

I've been doing the same thing with a PS3 for a few years now but it's comforting to know that if my PS3 ever pukes I can continue doing it with my 105.

So what is this ISO support thing all about anyway? I can play iso files on my Oppo 105. Played an iso of Foreigner 4 just the other day. Burned the file to disc with imgburn.

I believe that iso support means that you can play .iso files from a hard disk, USB stick or network as opposed to burning them. It was a way to keep from handling your discs. It was frowned upon because of the possibility of sharing the .iso files online.

ISO file support appeared in firmware 50-0608 and was removed in firmware 64-0119.

It was removed because the studios objected.

This was done by the decoder chip maker and there was nothing OPPO could do about it.

I believe that iso support means that you can play .iso files from a hard disk, USB stick or network as opposed to burning them. It was a way to keep from handling your discs. It was frowned upon because of the possibility of sharing the .iso files online.

The support to play an ISO file directly was removed even before my BPD-83 was released. I thought, in addition to that, the newer ones also would not play SACD-R's. I know that inability has been discussed on the board, because I remember being surprised when I learned about it.

.iso support is not just for SACD.iso files, it's for ALL iso files, including DVD-A.iso, Blu-ray.iso, DVD.iso, mlp.iso, etc.

BTW, NO oppos will play SCAD.iso's directly, they must be burned to an SACD-R disc and then played as a disc in a supported oppo (like a 93, not a 103)

For SACD's you need two oppos, a 103 to rip to an .iso file and a 93 to play the SACD-R disc created from that file.

DVD-FAB will clone ANYTHING to a single iso file. Everyone of these files (except sacd.iso) can then be played as is (no conversion, no burning, etc), with a supported oppo. The oppo internally does all the conversion from iso to whatever format.

AFAIK, it's not possible to downgrade the firmware from a non-supported oppo to a supported oppo so never ever upgrade the firmware on your supported oppo.

Basically you can just hook up an external hard drive full of terabytes of only iso files and have your entire media catalog play on your supported oppo.

Imagine 2 TB worth of single iso files, that's a helluva lot of different format discs compacted down to one single hard drive. 93's have 2 usb ports and 1 e-sata port so it's possible to have three 2TB HDD's hooked up simulataneouly to an 93, that's a 6TB media library. :spot

It's was the greatest thing since sliced bread until they removed it, that's why I would never sell my iso oppos.

you didn't play an iso file, you played a disc created from an iso file, huge difference.

Last edited:
Okay, that would be cool to play iso files directly from a hard drive and hard to give up.

But the crappy user interface makes it a no go for most people who have used PC media software like jRiver, Musicbee, foobar2000, ect. The PC input via hdmi on the newer models allows the best of both worlds. Quality UI AND quality dacs, with of course, disc playback. I wish their new DAC had multichannel support, for me, it would have been a game changer and an instant purchase.

But the crappy user interface makes it a no go for most people who have used PC media software like jRiver, Musicbee, foobar2000, ect. The PC input via hdmi on the newer models allows the best of both worlds. Quality UI AND quality dacs, with of course, disc playback. I wish their new DAC had multichannel support, for me, it would have been a game changer and an instant purchase.

good point, foobar will play sacd.iso with the correct plug-in, a featured sorely missed in iso supported oppo's

the crappy UI is somewhat alieviated by the fact that you can control the oppo by remote if you are on the couch whereas a PC hooked up to an oppo would be much more difficult to control

good point, foobar will play sacd.iso with the correct plug-in, a featured sorely missed in iso supported oppo's

the crappy UI is somewhat alieviated by the fact that you can control the oppo by remote if you are on the couch whereas a PC hooked up to an oppo would be much more difficult to control

jRiver does SACD iso but no DVDA iso but it really isn't a big deal because going from DVDA iso support in Foobar2000, to flac, is a VERY simple process. Musicbee is my favorite because of the layout, although no iso support, but I use all three regularly.

Do we know yet if the new Oppo 203 or 205 will have the right chipset to create SACD iso files like the Oppo 9x & 10x models?

Do we know yet if the new Oppo 203 or 205 will have the right chipset to create SACD iso files like the Oppo 9x & 10x models?

The 203 and 205 will basically be the 103 and 105 disc players with 4K Video added and perhaps some 103 and 105 features (like the apps) dropped to keep the price about the same.
The big question on the ability to copy DSD files from SACDs is whether the player firmware will be changed in a way that disables that feature. Too early to know.

The 203 and 205 will basically be the 103 and 105 disc players with 4K Video added and perhaps some 103 and 105 features (like the apps) dropped to keep the price about the same.
The big question on the ability to copy DSD files from SACDs is whether the player firmware will be changed in a way that disables that feature. Too early to know.

Based on your comment about firmware - should those of us who have a 103/105, then disable any future firmwares....just in case they disable it on these models??

OK, so maybe the updates don't automatically install. I went into menu and didn't see anything to that effect. Anyone recall how this works?

Back