OPPO 103 advice

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so maybe the updates don't automatically install. I went into menu and didn't see anything to that effect. Anyone recall how this works?

Hi GOS. Here's the route...Set Up Menu - Device Set Up - the third entry down is "Firmware Notification". Set that to OFF and updates will not happen automatically. (Page 72 of the 103 manual). :)

For SACD's you need two oppos, a 103 to rip to an .iso file and a 93 to play the SACD-R disc created from that file.

I had both but I sold my 93 because I found playing .dsf files off the hard drives attached to the 103 was better than keeping all those SACD-R physical discs around. Hence no need for the 93 at all.

I would also like to add that the inability to play ISO files is also not a big deal because DVD's or Blu-Rays can be ripped to .mkv files retaining their original quality 100%. Also DVD's can be split apart so each chapter is in the original .vob container. Entire Blu-Rays including their menu structure can be written to a hard drive and played back by the 103 and 105 (as well as the previous series I believe) just like an ISO.

So what is this ISO support thing all about anyway? I can play iso files on my Oppo 105. Played an iso of Foreigner 4 just the other day. Burned the file to disc with imgburn.

So then you are no longer playing an ISO file but a regular full fledged DVD structured disc.

To me the best features of the 103 and 105 is 1) their ability to have multiple hard drives attached to them with 2 GB partitions. Currently I have 4 x 4 TB = 16 TB drives attached (with the resulting 8 x 2 GB partitions). Access is flawless. 2) the ability to rip SACD.

I might add that redundant backup however is required in case of crashes making this a fairly expensive proposition. I have 4 other hard drives off-line that mirror the drives attached to the Oppo. This mirroring is done manually as files are added to the in-line drives. I also back-up all these added files on Blu-Ray discs as a second mirror. These are stored in those hard black DVD boxes that hold 6 discs each. So far I have 50 of these or 300 discs. (So that means that about 8 TB's of the 16 TB's on the drives are currently full). I don't want the disc surfaces to touch anything hence the storage in DVD cases and not binders. One of these back-ups should also be offsite. So just the 8 drives alone will set you back around $1200. But the amount of stuff on there at fingertip access is just incredible and getting more voluminous with each passing day.

But the crappy user interface makes it a no go for most people

A lot of this "crappyness" has to do with how you structure your partitions or folders on the drives. I find that my structuring of the 8 x 2 TB partitions, "Stereo Music", "Surround Music", "Music Video" (which are DVD's and Blu-Rays mainly and take up two 2 TB partitions A-M and N-Z), "SACD A-D", "SACD E-K", "SACD L-P", "SACD Q-Z" make everything very easy to find within seconds. You can also search for your next track while a current music track is playing. Folders within the partitions are named by artist. Files within folders have album name or movie/concert name. etc etc Sorry for hogging the thread.

A lot of this "crappyness" has to do with how you structure your partitions or folders on the drives. I find that my structuring of the 8 x 2 TB partitions, "Stereo Music", "Surround Music", "Music Video" (which are DVD's and Blu-Rays mainly and take up two 2 TB partitions A-M and N-Z), "SACD A-D", "SACD E-K", "SACD L-P", "SACD Q-Z" make everything very easy to find within seconds. You can also search for your next track while a current music track is playing. Folders within the partitions are named by artist. Files within folders have album name or movie/concert name. etc etc Sorry for hogging the thread.

Understood because that is what I did for a while. However, as the collection grew, it became an untenable position. First, many of my recordings are in stereo and in multichannel. Second, it became hard to recall the format of the music I wanted to find. Third, the search interface and engine in the Oppo is functional but crude. Since switching over to JRiver (after sampling several alternatives) with its configurable displays and searches, I find the Oppo GUI completely intolerable. I can still play music through the Oppo but I no longer play music with the Oppo.

BTW, I have the same objection to many of the dedicated server boxes with their tiny screens and lack of mouse/keyboard that require the use of a tablet.

Understood because that is what I did for a while. However, as the collection grew, it became an untenable position. First, many of my recordings are in stereo and in multichannel. Second, it became hard to recall the format of the music I wanted to find. Third, the search interface and engine in the Oppo is functional but crude. Since switching over to JRiver (after sampling several alternatives) with its configurable displays and searches, I find the Oppo GUI completely intolerable. I can still play music through the Oppo but I no longer play music with the Oppo.

BTW, I have the same objection to many of the dedicated server boxes with their tiny screens and lack of mouse/keyboard that require the use of a tablet.

I have no issues finding anything so far with 8 TB's of files. If recordings are in stereo and multi-channel I usually just load the multi-channel. Anyway, I play all stereo as well using my 7 channel stereo setting on my receiver.

I don't use the search engine on the Oppo as I don't have issues recalling where anything is. I do use the application on my Android phone a lot with the Oppo. I always use my large screen TV to navigate when I use the Oppo directly so no small screen there.

However, I do see that if you had multiple versions of classical music you may have an issue with the Oppo. I file everything by composer in that case then I have folders by composition below that and conductor/soloist below that. The album cover display when playing also helps.

I have no issues finding anything so far with 8 TB's of files. If recordings are in stereo and multi-channel I usually just load the multi-channel. Anyway, I play all stereo as well using my 7 channel stereo setting on my receiver.

I don't use the search engine on the Oppo as I don't have issues recalling where anything is. I do use the application on my Android phone a lot with the Oppo. I always use my large screen TV to navigate when I use the Oppo directly so no small screen there.

However, I do see that if you had multiple versions of classical music you may have an issue with the Oppo. I file everything by composer in that case then I have folders by composition below that and conductor/soloist below that. The album cover display when playing also helps.
If that works for you, that is certainly fine with me but it does not work for me. I do agree that the cover display is of great help and find the multiple custom views afforded by JRiver as invaluable in scanning and locating files.

What Kal said. It is all about being able to change the views of a collection and the flexibility. A lot of other things too...

What Kal said. It is all about being able to change the views of a collection and the flexibility. A lot of other things too...

You both are likely correct but I find the Oppo view simple and easy to use and I like the fact that the drives are directly connected to the player with a short cable and doesn't have any effect on my internet network when I am playing back the files..

You both are likely correct but I find the Oppo view simple and easy to use and I like the fact that the drives are directly connected to the player with a short cable and doesn't have any effect on my internet network when I am playing back the files..
Evidence, if it was really needed, that there is no single solution that will satisfy everyone.

Evidence, if it was really needed, that there is no single solution that will satisfy everyone.

Would/have you compared the hdmi inputs, using a PC, of the Oppo's you have listened to, vs your favorite multichannel usb DAC's? If I have missed your comparison somewhere, just let me know and I will seek it out. I trust your opinion on this more than anyone.

To me the best features of the 103 and 105 are 1) their ability to have mujtiple hard drives attached to them with 2 GB partitions. Currently I have 4 x 4 TB = 16 TB drives attached (with the resulting 8 x 2 GB partitions). Access is flawless. 2) the ability to rip SACD.

This firmware (Main Version BDP10X-50-0422) for the 103 says: https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-10x-Firmware.aspx

16. Improved the support for large capacity external hard drives. The maximum size for a single partition can be up to 16 TB when using GPT partition table and NTFS or ExFAT file system.

Would/have you compared the hdmi inputs, using a PC, of the Oppo's you have listened to, vs your favorite multichannel usb DAC's? If I have missed your comparison somewhere, just let me know and I will seek it out. I trust your opinion on this more than anyone.

Nothing published but the USB out to the exaSound DAC is superior to the HDMI out to the Oppo, particularly with hi-rez DSD or PCM. Not that the 105 is a slouch.

OTOH, in the CT system, I prefer the HDMI into my Marantz 8802a to running it into the 103 and it is more convenient. If I swapped the Oppos, I might have a different opinion.

As you probably know there is a way around playing a Blu-Ray "image" on the 103/105

There is? Are you talking about playing an blu-ray.iso file directly with the 103/105? Or do you consider an mkv file an "image"?

Last edited:
Back