Oppo 103 and DTS 5.1 problems on recent BR disk's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happens if you set the Oppo to always export PCM over HDMI?

If you still get it then its the way Oppo handles the DTS, if not then its the way your Receiver handles the DTS.

I can't be the only one having these problems. I know LPCM 5.1 is fine but many times I just put disk's in and just press play as to lazy to turn screen on, well with dts 5.1 usually being your default track when just pressing play this is not good for my ears and speakers.

Have 3 BR Disk's now that have issues with DTS 5.1

Steven Wilson-4 1/2
Alan Parsons-Tales of Mystery and Imagination
Blackfield-V

First time I came across the problem was Steven Wilson 4 1/2 and its between songs 3 and 4 that the blast of static happens
Now its happened on the Alan Parsons and Blackfield and its as soon as you press play on the dts track you get just static.

LPCM works fine for all 3 of these disks so happy about that.

I reported this for the Steven Wilson here but no one had a issue or everyone plays LPCM.

Put the bluray in my Oppo 103 and sat back and as all SW's are such clean recordings cranked up the receiver.
Everything sounding awesome and then when it goes from song 3-4 pure STATIC noise(went on for a while), didn't have my controller near me so almost fell out of my chair and got over to receiver to turn it down.
Has anyone else had this problem, this is on the dts master audio 5.1,I think the Lpcm 5.1 is fine?
I put it back to the end of song 3 and then as it gets to 18 minute mark or there abouts and it does it everytime as it goes from song 3 to 4.

Is this a Oppo problem or do I have a defective disk?

peter

With the standalone hardware disc players like this you need to download and install firmware updates as new security codes are made for bluray discs. Installed from a USB stick is SOP I believe? (forgive me for not looking up the manual)

It's just a quick app update in computer land when a new disc doesn't play but you have to update firmware on the hardware disc players.

With the standalone hardware disc players like this you need to download and install firmware updates as new security codes are made for bluray discs. Installed from a USB stick is SOP I believe? (forgive me for not looking up the manual)

It's just a quick app update in computer land when a new disc doesn't play but you have to update firmware on the hardware disc players.

OPPO will furnish upon request to their toll free customer service # *, a physical firmware disc which usually incorporates ALL of the updates but I would talk to customer service first and ask their opinion as utilizing it incorrectly can totally screw up the machine.

https://www.oppodigital.com/support/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Support.aspx

*http://allcustomercarenumbers.net/Customer-Service-Number-Oppo-018129

When I started this thread it was only one disk problem and I didn't know if was Oppo or Marantz issue so the thread title is now misleading,should now say "Marantz Receiver(model xx07 year) and Ray Shulman authored BR disk issue" if a mod could change title for me would be great but as some people like Andreas and a few others from Germany have reported the same problem on Marantz receiver's and they have different bluray players so its definitely how the Marantz has problems with these Ray Shulman encoded disk's as Ray S. has done something different in past 1-2 years as its only his disk's that our Marantz can't understand what the Dts stream is doing.

Have never had any issue's with any Bluray movies,concert or music titles and I have a few 100 other authored disk's all good except these recent Ray Shulman ones.
His initial authored Bluray disk's did not cause this problem.

peter

I just use my computer network to update my Oppo(103-D)...or you can use a disc or a USB stick...

When I started this thread it was only one disk problem and I didn't know if was Oppo or Marantz issue so the thread title is now misleading,should now say "Marantz Receiver(model xx07 year) and Ray Shulman authored BR disk issue" if a mod could change title for me would be great but as some people like Andreas and a few others from Germany have reported the same problem on Marantz receiver's and they have different bluray players so its definitely how the Marantz has problems with these Ray Shulman encoded disk's as Ray S. has done something different in past 1-2 years as its only his disk's that our Marantz can't understand what the Dts stream is doing.

Have never had any issue's with any Bluray movies,concert or music titles and I have a few 100 other authored disk's all good except these recent Ray Shulman ones.
His initial authored Bluray disk's did not cause this problem.

peter

Peter...I had problems with one of the discs(I don't have the others mentioned)and I have a Denon...not a Marantz...but my problem is a little different...I don't get static...it just "cuts out"..I have never found another disc with that problem..it was on Alan Parsons Tales...I didn't contact Oppo because it's only 1 disc..

The problem is still there, now with the new Steven Wilson Blu-ray "Home Invasion". I almost got a heart attack when the loud static noise appeared. On this Blu-ray there's no LPCM 5.1 option, only DTS HD for surround. In order to be able to watch this I changed now the player audio output from 'bitstream' to PCM. I guess I have to keep it that way permanently.

Cheers,
Andreas

The problem is still there, now with the new Steven Wilson Blu-ray "Home Invasion". I almost got a heart attack when the loud static noise appeared. On this Blu-ray there's no LPCM 5.1 option, only DTS HD for surround. In order to be able to watch this I changed now the player audio output from 'bitstream' to PCM. I guess I have to keep it that way permanently.

Cheers,
Andreas

I also have an issue with the "Home Invasion" disc. With an Oppo BDP-103 or Oppo UDP-203 feeding a Denon AVR4308CI receiver, the sound has a brief hiccup or dropout about once or twice every second when set to Bitstream output. Switching the Oppo output to PCM cures the problem.

I tried the disc on my secondary system which has an Oppo BDP-83 feeding an Onkyo TXSR804 receiver. On that system, it plays fine using the Bitstream output on the Oppo. So it appears to be an issue with the way the Denon handles the DTS-HD stream from the Oppo on this disc. I haven't had this problem yet with any other discs that I own.

Mark

I also have an issue with the "Home Invasion" disc. With an Oppo BDP-103 or Oppo UDP-203 feeding a Denon AVR4308CI receiver, the sound has a brief hiccup or dropout about once or twice every second when set to Bitstream output. Switching the Oppo output to PCM cures the problem.

I tried the disc on my secondary system which has an Oppo BDP-83 feeding an Onkyo TXSR804 receiver. On that system, it plays fine using the Bitstream output on the Oppo. So it appears to be an issue with the way the Denon handles the DTS-HD stream from the Oppo on this disc. I haven't had this problem yet with any other discs that I own.

Mark

It’s definitely your receiver. Denon and Marantz are basically the same company.

Not just that receiver. I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-94txh and Oppo BDP103, and have the same problem as Mark. Switching to PCM output solves it.

Any discs I ever had any DTS problems with got fixed by a Pioneer update 7 years ago. This is the first disc I've had issue with since then.

Back