OPPO Digital Ends Audio Products Production (April 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 203 just arrived....and a minor miracle happened...the Fed Ex employee actually knocked on my door...instead of just walking away like they always do....it's always nice to get new equipment...and Oppo doesn't disappoint in the presentation area...the double boxing...and the 203 came with a carry bag....

IMG_3092.JPG

...and the 203 came with a carry bag....

because I always see people walking around carrying their oppo's lol

I own two .iso 93's and two 103's, love them to death, but always thought that damn bag was the stupidist thing ever.

Eh...my wife uses my Oppo bag at grocery store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e38-perspective-800.png

Check out the exaSound e38 Multichannel DAC with DSD 256, DXD and PCM formats for $3,849.
A step up in sound quality from the Oppo disc players. It includes 8 channels of analog outputs via RCA jacks.

https://www.exasound.com/e38/e38DACOverview.asp
https://www.exasound.com/Blog/tabid...a-happy-e38-owner-Youve-produced-a-jewel.aspx

Very nice DAC, but after you add bass management and some world class video, you are far over $5k.
Tough to beat the value of the Oppo.

Is the Sabre implementation really that much better than Oppo's?

One to thing to note here is that the key is each audio designer's DAC design, not the DAC chip. In a number of cases, some of the features of the DAC chip are bypassed and not used at all.
That explains why DACs with the same DAC chip inside can sound quite different. As one audio designer said "what's really important isn't the DAC chip, but what comes after the DAC chip."
(Not to mention DACs that don't use a DAC chip at all)

In terms of Oppo vs. exaSound, have a look at some of the comments from listeners who went from an Oppo to an exaSound DAC.
One example from an owner named Kurt from Ft. Wayne, Indiana:
I’ve now spent a few days with my e38. It’s funny, now, to me that I actually mentioned in one of my emails to you, “…if I decide to keep the e38..” I knew, right away, that it was here for keeps!! Occasionally, one makes an improvement in their audio system that is monumental. My biggest improvement happened when I replaced my dynamic driver speakers with electrostatic speakers (Martin Logan Ethos). The e38 over the Oppo BDP-105 (which is no slouch) is an improvement on that level!!!

I was immediately stuck with a number of things. The word that keeps popping into my head is ‘visceral’. There is an intimacy in the sound. With solo instruments, you hear the resonance of the instruments. I play the ‘cello and I’ve never heard one reproduced with such accuracy.

When I got my electrostatic speakers, one of the big improvements was the suspension of the music in the sound field. The e38 has taken that to a whole new level. Soloists, both vocal and instrumental, now float with exact precision within the sound field. The sound field has become immense, and detailed. You can pinpoint individual instruments and their positions in the orchestra. The sound field has also expanded off to the sides beyond the speakers themselves. In a great recording, one hears the hall in which it was recorded. The e38 reveals this to a whole new level. The reverb in the space and the decay is jaw dropping.

One of my friends commented, yesterday, while we were listening to a chime playing within a piece that it sounded like it was coming from the next door neighbors house!! None of these comments should be construed as ‘analytical’. This is the most “musical” reproduction that I’ve ever heard.

The clarity of the sound is unparalleled. The overall sound is smooth (not to imply that is it’s ‘rolled off’). It’s like you’ve wiped away any coloration. Another immediate characteristic that I noticed is the incredible dynamic range. There’s a powerful surge in crescendos that I’ve never experienced with an audio system.

https://www.exasound.com/Blog/tabid...a-happy-e38-owner-Youve-produced-a-jewel.aspx

LOL! I dunno. She often shops at Aldi's for a number of lower priced non-brand items and takes that bag. She loves it.

Think about it....you see a woman shopping with a bag with Oppo on it and do you think it's some kind of "female" product...like makeup...or a new style of Yoga....maybe a "smoothie"...or a new product from Yoko Ono...the possibilities are endless...in a political sense it could be an abbreviation for Opposition Research...OPPO...check it out here

The newer Oppo's represent incredible value for true audiophiles. Try and and find a quality multi-channel DAC with Analog outs for under $5K.

You will see the 205 selling for crazy stupid prices by XMAS.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dac8

I found one of these for $145 yesterday. I use it on a second system along with a couple Conrad-Johnson amps. It has many more limitations compared to the Oppo's, but it is still a very interesting product, especially if you already rip EVERYTHING to a PC before playback. It will leave a lot of extra cash in your budget for speaker upgrades.

Until you hear the exaSound.... :)

No doubt the exaSound is a very fine unit, but if your comparing it to Oppo you have to take price into account.
$549 vs $1200 vs $3800 vs $5000+

The point of my original comment was that you have spend $5K to get better audio/video.

You makes a choice and you pay a price.
I still spell value O-P-P-O

Last edited:
One to thing to note here is that the key is each audio designer's DAC design, not the DAC chip. In a number of cases, some of the features of the DAC chip are bypassed and not used at all.
That explains why DACs with the same DAC chip inside can sound quite different. As one audio designer said "what's really important isn't the DAC chip, but what comes after the DAC chip."
(Not to mention DACs that don't use a DAC chip at all)

In terms of Oppo vs. exaSound, have a look at some of the comments from listeners who went from an Oppo to an exaSound DAC.
One example from an owner named Kurt from Ft. Wayne, Indiana:

As usual, you are spot on about DAC implementations and output stages
The exaSound uses the "older" 9028 pro dac but it uses multiple chips.
I will note that the user in the review was comparing the e38 to an Oppo-105.
The 205 has a much better output stage than the 105 and it does make a tangible difference. At least it does to me.

Back