OPPO Digital Ends Audio Products Production (April 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if the Sony UBP-X800 (the 2017 'Canadian' version) plays both SA-CD and DVD-A ?

The 2017 'US' version plays both SACD and DVD-A - can't imagine that the 'Canadian' version would not....

Additionally, it will play burned AVCHD discs but NOT burned DVD-A discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before everyone tosses out the babies with the bathwater....let's remember that any modern equipment--going back to the early turntables, tube radios and amps, etc.--may be hard to fix, but not impossible, for there is always someone who can find working vintage parts, or more recent replicas thereof. To this day a lot of styluses that are truly ancient are still available because the technology to manufacture them still exists, and there is enough demand to make that manufacturing possible. Not always easy to track down, perhaps, but who said anything is always going to be easy?

Oppo's decision shouldn't be seen in such gloom and doom lights. I still have working Betamax and laserdisc players, though I use neither anymore (I still have an old CED videodisc player that doesn't work, but I don't think it would be that hard to fix, it's just that there's no audio/videophile reason to do so, it was a bad idea from the get go). So even though Oppo is shutting down, maintaining hardware should not be hard to do for some years to come, and certainly within the lifetime of anyone reading this today.

And don't forget, if one of your machines should go south, there will be used or new machines to purchase, or a way to fix your original.

It's unfortunate Oppo is out, but it's hardly so dark a matter as I'm reading here.

ED :)

This is sad news, Oppo makes a top quality product. I bought one a few years back when the Samsung player I have couldn't play the Quadraphenia BD-A (I was like, "Oh yeah? We'll see about that! Nothing's going to keep me from listening to a complete version of this album in surround!"). I'd think about possibly buying a second unit to have in reserve, but I definitely can't justify one in the budget these days. I can see Oppo's continuing to be a really good resale value in the decades to come, just like some of the highly revered quadraphonic gear.

I mentioned over in the "Best.Customers.Ever." thread that it would be great if a company bought the rights to continue producing these products (just as someone else in this thread did), under the same licensed name, or another name. But if even possible, there's the issue of maintaining the same supplier chain because it's proven and familiar with what they each make. And then there's the risk that another owner could willing lessen the quality and functions that make the Opp's what they are.

Damn the slowly diminishing surround sound niche, once again.

very sad news. i had two OPPO players and loved them.. they're also one of the last ways to rip SACD since old PS3s are dying

Additionally, it will play burned AVCHD discs but NOT burned DVD-A discs.
Burned or watermarked? Not all burned discs are watermarked.

It’s not about watermark; it’s burned media (golds versus silver from pressing plant).

I had some of the same titles burned to AVCHD for Blu Ray player and they worked at home at least. Try to stick to DVDA so I can play in cars too.

It’s not about watermark; it’s burned media (golds versus silver from pressing plant).
That's really surprising.

So surprising that I returned one of the two Sony units that I bought when they were on sale. If it had also successfully played burned DVDA, that would have been a homerun, settling for a triple.

Last edited:
I too read the announcement and allowed my heart to drop as if a friend had just decided to take their own life. But, then I thought about it more and more. I have three Oppo's that all continue to serve me well. The biggest reality, that someone else in the thread mentioned, I rarely listen to disc material anymore. I listen to the disc the first then immediately burn it to my personal cloud. I do keep Video with Audio sometimes as well. My current 2nd house for retirement machine (80), my use all Home system (83SE) and purely for SACD ISO a (103) will have to do. I considered buying another just because they are going away but decided I've held on to technology that usually (not always) can be found later with better technology when you are ready and many times cheaper then too.

Back