OPPO Digital Ends Audio Products Production (April 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone compared the analogue out between the 105 and the 203?

All you guys who are upgrading.... I'm looking for a gently used 103 for the ability to rip SACD disks. If you are interested in selling your 103, send me a PM with details. If the price is right and the deal sounds good, maybe it will happen.

Oppo just confirmed via phone to the sales dept that they are going to make an additional run of 205's and the 203's in stock are running low but they expect the last shipment of 203's in a month or so. Oppo corporate thinks these players will be dinosaurs in the near future with the digital age taking over so sez the sales guy on the phone. He also said that sales are great so ??????????

Why am I always reading that Oppo does not support gapless playback from USB attached files? My recently acquired 203 supports it just fine.

Oppo just confirmed via phone to the sales dept that they are going to make an additional run of 205's and the 203's in stock are running low but they expect the last shipment of 203's in a month or so. Oppo corporate thinks these players will be dinosaurs in the near future with the digital age taking over so sez the sales guy on the phone. He also said that sales are great so ??????????
I can confirm this as true. When I heard the news that they were stopping production I tried to order a udp-205 from their website only to find they were sold out. I sent them an email wishing them well, and asking to be put on a waiting list if they found more to sell. About 2 days later they sent me an email saying I was on a waiting list. Then yesterday they called saying they have a few more udp-205’s for sale. I ordered one and it will be here next Tuesday.

Oppo supports gapless playback of USB attached files. If you attempt to create a playlist from the attached files, they will not play back gaplessly. For example: Songs 1, 2, and 3 all play back without gaps. Playlist 1, 3, 2 plays back with gaps. I like to pick and choose among folders (albums) for specific songs to play. If I create a playlist, Oppo inserts gaps. The work around is to create the playlist on the PC, copy to thumb drive, and plug into Oppo. Then the selected files (songs) play gaplessly. Not a big deal, but I wish Oppo would do that from within the loaded files.

Why am I always reading that Oppo does not support gapless playback from USB attached files? My recently acquired 203 supports it just fine.

Oppo corporate thinks these players will be dinosaurs in the near future with the digital age taking over so sez the sales guy on the phone. He also said that sales are great so ??????????
Oppo HQ is probably right that player sales will decrease in the next few years. But why on earth are they not adding high quality items to their gamma. For instance a multichannel dac, or an A/V server with streaming apps. With their brand reputation they could easily sell these things within a $1.000 to $2.000 price range.

Oppo supports gapless playback of USB attached files. If you attempt to create a playlist from the attached files, they will not play back gaplessly. For example: Songs 1, 2, and 3 all play back without gaps. Playlist 1, 3, 2 plays back with gaps. I like to pick and choose among folders (albums) for specific songs to play. If I create a playlist, Oppo inserts gaps. The work around is to create the playlist on the PC, copy to thumb drive, and plug into Oppo. Then the selected files (songs) play gaplessly. Not a big deal, but I wish Oppo would do that from within the loaded files.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I don't use playlists personally, so that won't be a problem for me.

Wooow I got my baby yesterday and I'm so so so happy!!! :LB:SB:dance

Now I have my BDP95 as a region free DVD/Bluray player (It has the proper mod) and also as a player for my HDCD collection. But the UDP203 is just amazing, not only in the picture domain (HDR10/Dolby Vision support, amazing upscaling to 4k) but also for streaming. I almost buy a NAS so I can stream my HD (stereo/multichannel) files but this amazing unit can see my Airport Time Capsule (now discontinued by Apple) without doing anything but search in the Network option!!! It can playback all the files in their original resolution (not downsampling as Airplay does) and it's gapless!!! OMG!!!! :SB

If this unit works as my 95 (flawless), I then have a lifetime and magnificent new player! :)

...So sad oppo is closing the door!!! :cry:

I could voice a few minor complaints about OPPO, but truly have been a fanboy a good decade or so. Still have the 980H, BDP 93 and 95 -- all in working order (sold the 83 about a year ago).

Just ordered the 203 and hope it will take care of a future 4K TV upgrade, which is a few years off as I'm still quite happy with the Mitsubishi 7800 projector.

Man, I'm going to miss OPPO and its first-rate customer service.

Has anyone compared the analogue out between the 105 and the 203?

Yes. I’m an OPPO Digital Beta Tester. I sold both my 105 players after hearing what the analog outputs sounded like in comparison to the 205. I’ve read about one chap over on the Emotiva Lounge that preferred the 105. He stated that the 205 is worse in the treble, to his ears. I hear the reverse of that and wonder if his other equipment in the chain is contributing to this anomaly (don’t play well together). Though, a lot of people claim they don’t like the sound of the Sabre32 DAC that is used in both model players.

I could voice a few minor complaints about OPPO, but truly have been a fanboy a good decade or so. Still have the 980H, BDP 93 and 95 -- all in working order (sold the 83 about a year ago).

Just ordered the 203 and hope it will take care of a future 4K TV upgrade, which is a few years off as I'm still quite happy with the Mitsubishi 7800 projector.

Man, I'm going to miss OPPO and its first-rate customer service.

Me as well. I've had a small issue with my 203 that wouldn't crop up under normal circumstances. Have this little Westie dog who has this habit of watching tv. And he has an extreme dislike for anything animated or furry. So I'm watching The Last Jedi in 4K when one of those little Porgs comes on the screen. I can see that this creature has caught his attention and he's about to lose his 'composure', so I decide to 'Pure Audio' my way through that scene to blank the screen. Hit the button on the remote and nothing happens. Hmmm. Got through the movie and thought I'd try some other UHD discs to see if it was just that disc. I have the same issue on one other, Despicable Me 3. The common thread here seems to be Dolby Vision, they're the only 2 movies I have so far that use it. Some people are having the same issue as me, some are not. I mean, it's a button that most people that have Oppos here use a lot I suspect, with their DVD-As, BD-As, SACDs etc. And that was the response when I contacted Oppo, they never thought to try it the way I was using it, thinking it was being used for audio only discs. Anyway, they get right on the case within hours of my initial email, finally concluding it's something that will have to be fixed in a firmware update. In a world of "Buy our product and then good luck, you're all but on your own" companies, Oppo was always a breath of fresh air.... they will really be missed :(

Have this little Westie dog who has this habit of watching tv.

I've had a fat cat for several years who never paid attention to the TV at all until just within the last couple months. Now he's fascinated by it.

I decide to 'Pure Audio' my way through that scene to blank the screen. Hit the button on the remote and nothing happens.

The one time I played with that button on my 203 I was streaming multichannel FLAC from a networked drive. Gapless playback immediately broke.

I was let down by Magnolia at Best Buy where my Oppo UDP-205 paid order did not show up last week as promised. I cancelled my order and called other Magnolia stores around town and got lucky today. Someone returned their 205 after finding out that Oppo Digital was closing shop. I purchased the 205 as an “open box” item for $1000 plus $80 tax. The unit appears new. The music gods have taken care of me.

Last edited:
Back