Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray Disc Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still using the OPPO 93 as source for audio (mostly SACD, DVD-A) although as mentioned over HDMI to a Sony AV. So bypassing the OPPO DAC. One of the reasons I bought this particular 4K AV receiver besides the 4K is its ability to support DSD 5.6 MHz (2ch) decoding thru USB and network connections, as well as DSD 2.8 MHz (up to 5ch) decoding thru HDMI. On the 93 only the 2nd HDMI port supports DSD. Assume all the HDMI ports on the newer models support DSD. Now I didn't notice any major improvement in audio quality when using the OPPO's analog outputs to my Rotel 5.1 (1057) receiver vs. HDMI out to my Sony AV. Bottom line, everything sounds great in my room. Next purchase will be a 4k TV (when the OLED prices come down), but don't plan on purchasing any 4k blu-rays and will reply on 4K content from Netflix. So I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade to the 203 due to hardware limitations of my Sony AV receiver.

I apologize for not being specific enough. what I mean is the stereo analog output jacks on these machines have high end DAC s multichannel analog section is a different output board
from the stereo section. With Oppo, use of MC analog will employ the Oppo DACS, and the Oppo has control of the audio. Use of HDMI and the control changes to the AVR, or amp in use. HDMI is best for MC use.
Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

I apologize for not being specific enough. what I mean is the stereo analog output jacks on these machines have high end DAC s multichannel analog section is a different output board
from the stereo section. With Oppo, use of MC analog will employ the Oppo DACS, and the Oppo has control of the audio. Use of HDMI and the control changes to the AVR, or amp in use. HDMI is best for MC use.

I thought the same DAC was used for both stereo and MC processing, but the stereo analog board (and possibly the power supply) was different in the audiophile models vs the standard models. No?

Also the bolded statement in the above quote is not always true. It still all comes down to the quality of the conversion in the AVR/prepro versus the conversion in the OPPO.

I thought the same DAC was used for both stereo and MC processing, but the stereo analog board (and possibly the power supply) was different in the audiophile models vs the standard models. No?

Also the bolded statement in the above quote is not always true. It still all comes down to the quality of the conversion in the AVR/prepro versus the conversion in the OPPO.

I think at this point you ought to approach Oppo support with your concerns, and questions. I can explain it but, I feel it best if it comes directly from the scource. Of course the best way to get accurate information is to discover it your self, from the scource. Oppo support is the absolute best I have ever seen in a electronics company. If you e mail them, you will have an answer immediatly.

I have my 105 connected directly into my power amps, analog style. Sounds good, also for multichannel.

The 95 the 105 and obviously the 205 have special high-end stereo analog outputs that are separate from the multichannel analog output have special high-end dacs

From Oppo Wiki : The BDP-95 uses two ES9018 DAC chips - one for the 7.1-channel output, and another for the dedicated stereo output.

The 95 the 105 and obviously the 205 have special high-end stereo analog outputs that are separate from the multichannel analog output have special high-end dacs

I know, and I use the stereo analog out also with multi channel listening. Apparently that is no good, as it is no HDMI. Whatever, I and and a lot of others enjoy their stereo and multichannel listening using the analog outs from the Oppo.

I know, and I use the stereo analog out also with multi channel listening. Apparently that is no good, as it is no HDMI. Whatever, I and and a lot of others enjoy their stereo and multichannel listening using the analog outs from the Oppo.

I use the analog outs as well on my 83SE. I also use the dedicated analog stereo outs whenever I play stereo media through the player. I do not know why anyone would feel that would produce poorer quality sound, unless they have a megabuck stand alone DAC at their disposal, or a truly high end DAC inside a megabuck pre/pro.

Here we GO AGAIN, ssully. Over the years I have owned numerous receivers and some pretty quality pre/pros and if you can't hear the difference, I suggest you go to the ear doctor and get your hearing checked.

Ah, then I counter-suggest you see a psychologist.*

And the HDMI JITTER that you cite might well be a thing of the past with today's better players and DACs.

It might, or might not. You won't know until it's measured.

(NB , I didn't say it was audible.)

Do your homework....and get off your soapbox [and/or change detergents].

And miss out on the superior education you can impart to me?? Wouldn't dream of it.

(*Because a psychologist can explain cognitive/perceptual bias to you....that's what I mean, of course.)

DAC refers to Digital > Analogue Conversion. When going analogue out that signal is maintained to the pre/pro all the way to the speakers unless you have a Meridian pre/pro which converts all incoming analogue signals to digital or you have digital amplifiers.

You realize that *any* pre/amp unit that allows DSP on an analog input -- which I'd venture to say is most of them on the market today, e.g. AVRs -- is going to convert it to digital first, right? Unless you set it to some sort of 'pure' mode (and even then...)

None of which necessarily makes them 'digital amplifiers' i.e., Class D amps.

Ah, then I counter-suggest you see a psychologist.*

It might, or might not. You won't know until it's measured.

(NB , I didn't say it was audible.)

And miss out on the superior education you can impart to me?? Wouldn't dream of it.

(*Because a psychologist can explain cognitive/perceptual bias to you....that's what I mean, of course.)

Whew, ssully, you really know how to make a man feel good about himself!

I don't need a psychologist to explain perceptual/cognitive bias to me....because I trust my ears when it comes to such matters.

You're going to love this ONE: You vehemently don't believe in Liquid sprays on 5" media.....ANATHEMA to YOU, especially. Well today I just took possession of a quart of Ultra Bit Diamond + from Digital Systems & Solutions in El Cajon, California because my EYES and EARS tell me that it is indeed a miracle solution. And it's MY dirty little secret. As you know, I just took possession of a 55" OLED 3D set and "this stuff" is de rigeur for making those 3D BD~Vs look and sound spectacular. I've also treated EVERY 5" disc, whether SACD, DVD~A, BD~A/BD~V, stereo or multichannel and WHEW, its transformative. Even RBCDs, whether MoFi, Gold, silver or otherwise sound pretty spectacular [even though they're, um, 16/44.1]. Those older DTS Entertainment DTS discs likewise sound like (on occasion) DVD~As so I know I'm not imagining the stellar results from this 'miracle liquid.' And it's a snap to apply, is water soluble and only needs to be applied ONCE.

You're shaking your head and calling me every name in the book but who cares.

I'll probably go to my grave extolling its virtues but my eyes and ears [which are pretty stellar] reinforce my conclusions.

And ssully......Physician [psychologist or psychiatrist] HEAL THYSELF!

You're a persistent, stubborn old coot.......but always fun as hell to lock horns with.

If ssully didn't exist we'd surely have to invent him!

And take that as an off~handed COMPLIMENT!

Those older DTS Entertainment DTS discs likewise sound like (on occasion) DVD~As so I know I'm not imagining the stellar results from this 'miracle liquid.'

I also (on occasion), think those older DTS disks sound like DVD-As, and I've never even been in the same room with the "miracle liquid."

What does it smell like anyway?

Actually, I don't think that has anything to do with cost, but rather the new architecture as governed by the new Mediatek SOC. Pretty sure HDCD decoding is handled by the Mediatek chip on the BDP-10X, and the apps also have to run on it. The UDP-20X uses a new Mediatek chip, which may not support HDCD decoding (no confirmation either way, but certainly possible due to near-deprecation of the format) and likely does not yet have many apps developed for it. Just as new apps have surfaced for the 10X over time, I imagine so will it be with the 20X. But I could be wrong... There was some press to suggest that they're abandoning apps due to the prevalence of smart TVs and other system components with such functionality.

It is a function of the new chip, as verified by an email to Oppo (which I thought I posted on here. I already deleted the email so I can't repost it).
When I get the new model, I'll have to keep the old one for HDCDs. So the new one is no longer a "universal player".

I found out that I have quite a few HDCDs in my collection (a lot are not marked as such). And it DOES make a difference.

Hi:

I have a big collection of Blu ray (music and filmes), Blu ray audio and SACD.

I am thinking to buy The UDP-203. Now I use a SONY BDP-S790 and I am happy with it but I am looking for something better acording to my AV MARANTZ SR-6010 and my 7.1 Q ACOUSTIC (I expect change The frontals and center soon) . I think that my equip is not so good to wait for the 205 but the 7.1 analog outputs of The 203 can do it sounds better to me.

What do you think about it?

Thanks and sorry for my english

Does the 203 stream DSD MCH gapless yet, or do you still have to use Queue sheets like the older Non 4K Oppo's? Thanks.

I'm a very lucky QQer!

I bought my Denon DBP-2012UD Universal player from Richer Sounds (UK chain) in 2012 and I took out an extended guarantee on it as it was only 10% of the purchase price, which for 5 years was good value. Well a little over a year ago it went weird and wouldn't play discs, plus it sounded like a train rumbling when playing a BD. So I took it in for repair, and it came back fixed. Then 6 weeks ago I had to take it back again as it wasn't playing discs and the guarantee was about to run out.

So I got a phone call today to say it couldn't be fixed and they'd repaired one fault when more appeared, so as I had a guarantee would I like a replacement. So I said can I put whatever the value is towards an Oppo UDP-203, they said yes, we've one in stock. So I went down to Richer Sounds and it only cost me £300, not £650!! My £35 guarantee meant that they would take £350 off the cost as that was what the guarantee insurance covered.

Its a very nice machine, way way better than the Denon. So I'm a very very happy QQer. :banana::banana::banana::banana:

NB: And I bought the 6 year extended guarantee at £65, as you never know!

So its a definite :upthumb for Richer Sounds

I'm a very lucky QQer!

I bought my Denon DBP-2012UD Universal player from Richer Sounds (UK chain) in 2012 and I took out an extended guarantee on it as it was only 10% of the purchase price, which for 5 years was good value. Well a little over a year ago it went weird and wouldn't play discs, plus it sounded like a train rumbling when playing a BD. So I took it in for repair, and it came back fixed. Then 6 weeks ago I had to take it back again as it wasn't playing discs and the guarantee was about to run out.

So I got a phone call today to say it couldn't be fixed and they'd repaired one fault when more appeared, so as I had a guarantee would I like a replacement. So I said can I put whatever the value is towards an Oppo UDP-203, they said yes, we've one in stock. So I went down to Richer Sounds and it only cost me £300, not £650!! My £35 guarantee meant that they would take £350 off the cost as that was what the guarantee insurance covered.

Its a very nice machine, way way better than the Denon. So I'm a very very happy QQer. :banana::banana::banana::banana:

NB: And I bought the 6 year extended guarantee at £65, as you never know!

So its a definite :upthumb for Richer Sounds

That's awesome Duncan. OK, I'm an OPPO fan, through and through. But, you're gonna love this thing.

You bet! :cool: The Oppo UDP-203 is a much better constructed machine than the Denon DBP-2012UD, the disc mechanism is excellent, and I'm not getting so many bit errors when playing discs either so the sound has improved. The Denon was starting to sound a bit 'harsh' even when playing CDs, due to persistent mistracking. So a very happy :51banana:

I've been using my old Denon DVD-2930 whilst the cr*p unit was out for repair, and it still is a much better machine than the DBP-2012UD!

That's awesome Duncan. OK, I'm an OPPO fan, through and through. But, you're gonna love this thing.

Back