Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu Ray Disc Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One can hope. I agree that the box looks dynamite in all other aspects.

Perhaps a call to OPPO's customer service might shed some light on the lack of a mch USB DAC and if it could possibly be added with a future firmware update.

Seems incomprehensible this option was omitted from a 2017 flagship player.

What a sexy beast. Total cost for this unit is about $5,000. About $1,300 for the unit itself and the rest for buying,installing and reprogramming remotes for the new 4k ultra hd TV with Dolby contrasty atmos-pheric awesomeness. Plus I get to pay more for 4 k movies for eyes and ears whose performance is declining. Hell yeah sign me up!!! I can delay retirement for another month. No worries. ...Seriously...I want this.

What a sexy beast. Total cost for this unit is about $5,000. About $1,300 for the unit itself and the rest for buying,installing and reprogramming remotes for the new 4k ultra hd TV with Dolby contrasty atmos-pheric awesomeness. Plus I get to pay more for 4 k movies for eyes and ears whose performance is declining. Hell yeah sign me up!!! I can delay retirement for another month. No worries. ...Seriously...I want this.

$1300 for the unit.....$2K for a Curved 55" 3D capable LG OLED TV and I've roughly been paying about $15 each for UHD 4K movies and the rest is up to you (remotes, installation, etc.)

But just think of the vast uptick in quality and the fact that we only live ONCE!

Oppo has announced a few more details on their upcoming UDP-205 disc player....

Lossless High-resolution Audio
Audio format support has been expanded to multi-channel DSD64/128, as well as 192kHz/24-bit PCM used in high-resolution lossless formats such AIFF, ALAC, APE, FLAC and WAV. (DSD64 is played back in native mode or converted to PCM, DSD128 converted to PCM.)

http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

Oppo did it again on both DAC and HDMI sides:

"An asynchronous USB DAC input supports sample rates up to 768 kHz PCM and DSD 512."

https://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=129&ProdID=UDP-205

Kal,

Have they ever given a reason why they haven't offered it? (Again, on the 105 & 205, it just seems like the pieces are already there).

Unfurtunately nothing is perfect under the sun (except my wife :worthy ;)).

I emailed them - We'll see if they offer any insight... :)

My message:
Hi, I just wanted to ask a question on the UDP-205... Like the 105, the 205 offers a stereo-only USB DAC. I was wondering if it has been considered to offer a multi channel USB DAC in a future product? I was really hoping the 205 would have it, as I play multi channel and stereo flacs from a PC through JRiver Media Center. Thanks!

Response:
We have not considered such a product, no. This would basically be a receiver at that point, and we are just not interested in manufacturing such a device.

...Huh? Oh well... moving on. :)

Response:
We have not considered such a product, no. This would basically be a receiver at that point, and we are just not interested in manufacturing such a device.
And including an HDMI input does not? If so, in what way?

My message:
Hi, I just wanted to ask a question on the UDP-205... Like the 105, the 205 offers a stereo-only USB DAC. I was wondering if it has been considered to offer a multi channel USB DAC in a future product? I was really hoping the 205 would have it, as I play multi channel and stereo flacs from a PC through JRiver Media Center. Thanks!

Response:

...Huh? Oh well... moving on. :)
Thanks for asking.

Yet one of the cons is a fatal one for those of us that play multi channel flacs. It just seems like it wouldn't be that hard to include a multi channel USB DAC since the multichannel DAC already exists in the box...

Two possibilities.

One is they are trying to keep the 205 price similar to the 105 price by not adding features.
As they stated last Fall at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver.

The other is that Oppo is planning a separate line of DACs down the road.
Much as they recently did with the Sonica DAC.

I'm guessing both had an impact on the 205 as released.

Back