"Original Album Classics" CD box set series - Quad or not?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Does anyone know if the titles in this series, where there are 3 to 5 albums per box, are SQ encoded where the original release was available in Quad?
After all - a lot of the early CD releases, before the dark days of excessively done dirgital remastering still had the SQ matrix.

How can I know - short of buying the bugger, decoding it & hoping?
There are literally hundreds of these sets.....Original Album Classics, Original Album series (and Rhino version) so it might be worthwhile checking.....

Neil i dont have a clue to be honest but I ahve been picking great swathes of artists cataloges very cheeply. ZZ Top and Joni Mitchell just recenly for less than 20 quid each

There was an SQ logo but I guess there's little chance that would have survived the revised packaging. I'm certainly interested in buying some of these sets so if there's a relatively easy and objective means to tell for sure (other than listening in PLII, which I guess will be subjective) we could keep a list running?

i have a bunch of classical CDs from EMI, previously released on Angel label.
they retained matrix mix, albeit as you know, usual classic quad have quite subtle difference between front and rear lines.
some compilation has mixture of quad and stereo tracks. best bet is to see if reissue haven't been remastered.

Back