Ovation Records' Sector 4 Stereophonic Sound (QS encoding in disguise)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
These last few days I've been enjoying many of the fine Black Jazz titles I have. This got me to digging to find out what some of the artists have done after the label folded. As Black Jazz was distributed by Ovation Records, some of the artists did get to release one or two albums on Ovation. Although Discogs makes no mention of it, I've seen that Ovation was still releasing QS encoded LPs in 1976 and 1977 but they referred to the process as Sector 4 Stereophonic Sound.

Here's what can be found on the back cover of these albums (see how they avoid mentioning Quad at all which makes it quite a vague description of the process):

SECTOR 4 STEREOPHONIC SOUND
This record features OVATION RECORDS NEW SECTOR 4 recording process which combines exclusive recording and remixing techniques with advanced design computerized master cutting, and represents the "state-of-the-art" in compatible multiple channel STEREOPHONIC Sound.

I've found this post by the great Fizzomatic which includes a magazine clipping stating to that fact.

Ovation Records advertisement on their new "Sector 4 " QS releases as it appeared in Sansui's 4 ch Scene .

This is from their April 77 issue .
Although Ovation Records still believed in the Quad recodings , most other labels were burying the format entirely .
The consensus in the quad recording industry was souring big time for anything that was quad labelled hence the Sector 4 indications.

index.php

The article clearly quotes Dick Schory, President of Ovation Records:

"...I moved the Quad markings to the back of the jacket. Interested quad record buyers will find the QS logo mark and and the words 'Sector 4 Stereophonic Sound'. This is my way of describing our unique Quad recording techniques."

These can be found in Mark Anderson's surrounddiscography, but I thought it would be interesting to have a thread dedicated to this period of Ovation's Quad history. I don't know how many of these Sector 4 Stereophonic Sound LPs have been released as Discogs doesn't show every back cover. It would be easy to assume that every title was QS encoded, but I'm not willing to make that assumption. What I can do is list the ones I've found so far which state to be encoded with Sector 4 Stereophonic Sound. I welcome everyone's input and thoughts about these titles. I'll be adding some of these to my collections in time and I will add my thoughts in this thread.

Bonnie Koloc ‎– At Her Best (compilation of material found on her Ovation albums most of which were QS encoded)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1701

Doug & Jean Carn ‎– Higher Ground (compilation of material found on Doug's three Black Jazz albums which were QS encoded)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1702

Cleveland Eaton ‎– Instant Hip
Ovation Records ‎– OV/1703

Willie Dixon ‎– What Happened To My Blues
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1705

Glenn Derringer ‎– Plays Great American Music People
Ovation Records ‎– OV/1707

Rich Mountain Tower ‎– Can't You Feel It
Ovation Records ‎– OV 1709

Steve Birchall ‎– Reality Gates
Ovation Records ‎– OV/1712

Morello - Burton - Christian ‎– Percussive Jazz
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1714

Ron Steele ‎– Everybody's Baby
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1717

The Kendalls ‎– Heaven's Just A Sin Away
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1719

Mark Gaddis ‎– Carousel Man
Ovation Records ‎– OV 1720

Please note that this LP was originally issued as a private pressing on Merrimae called "Heart Travels" before Ovation picked it up and released it under the title "Carousel Man". Which makes me doubt that it actually offers a Quad mix even though the back cover shows the Sector 4 Stereophonic Sound blurb. Mark Anderson's surrounddiscography states that it is Quad but I believe he may not be aware of the album having been released privately.

Harold Sliger ‎– We're Gonna Love
Ovation Records ‎– OV/1722

C. J. ‎– My Lady's Eyes (artist's name is Curt Johnson)
Ovation Records ‎– OV/1724

Don Barnett ‎– They Call The Wind Maria
Ovation Records ‎– OV 1725

Henry Franklin ‎– Blue Lights (compilation of material found on his two Black Jazz albums which were QS encoded)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1801

The Awakening ‎– Brand New Feeling (compilation of material found on their two Black Jazz albums which were QS encoded)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1802

Gene Russell ‎– Listen Here (compilation of material found on his two Black Jazz albums of which one was QS encoded so the other tracks may not be real Quad)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1803

Calvin Keys ‎– Criss Cross (compilation of material found on his two Black Jazz albums of which one was QS encoded so the other tracks may not be real Quad)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1804

Rudolph Johnson ‎– Time And Space (compilation of material found on his two Black Jazz albums of which one was QS encoded so the other tracks may not be real Quad)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1805

These last few days I've been enjoying many of the fine Black Jazz titles I have. This got me to digging to find out what some of the artists have done after the label folded. As Black Jazz was distributed by Ovation Records, some of the artists did get to release one or two albums on Ovation. Although Discogs makes no mention of it, I've seen that Ovation was still releasing QS encoded LPs in 1976 and 1977 but they referred to the process as Sector 4 Stereophonic Sound.

Here's what can be found on the back cover of these albums (see how they avoid mentioning Quad at all which makes it quite a vague description of the process):

SECTOR 4 STEREOPHONIC SOUND
This record features OVATION RECORDS NEW SECTOR 4 recording process which combines exclusive recording and remixing techniques with advanced design computerized master cutting, and represents the "state-of-the-art" in compatible multiple channel STEREOPHONIC Sound.

I've found this post by the great Fizzomatic which includes a magazine clipping stating to that fact.

The article clearly quotes Dick Schory, President of Ovation Records:

"...I moved the Quad markings to the back of the jacket. Interested quad record buyers will find the QS logo mark and and the words 'Sector 4 Stereophonic Sound'. This is my way of describing our unique Quad recording techniques."

These can be found in Mark Anderson's surrounddiscography, but I thought it would be interesting to have a thread dedicated to this period of Ovation's Quad history. I don't know how many of these Sector 4 Stereophonic Sound LPs have been released as Discogs doesn't show every back cover. It would be easy to assume that every title was QS encoded, but I'm not willing to make that assumption. What I can do is list the ones I've found so far which state to be encoded with Sector 4 Stereophonic Sound. I welcome everyone's input and thoughts about these titles. I'll be adding some of these to my collections in time and I will add my thoughts in this thread.

Bonnie Koloc ‎– At Her Best (compilation of material found on her Ovation albums most of which were QS encoded)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1701

Doug & Jean Carn ‎– Higher Ground (compilation of material found on Doug's three Black Jazz albums which were QS encoded)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1702

Cleveland Eaton ‎– Instant Hip
Ovation Records ‎– OV/1703

Willie Dixon ‎– What Happened To My Blues
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1705

Glenn Derringer ‎– Plays Great American Music People
Ovation Records ‎– OV/1707

Rich Mountain Tower ‎– Can't You Feel It
Ovation Records ‎– OV 1709

Steve Birchall ‎– Reality Gates
Ovation Records ‎– OV/1712

Morello - Burton - Christian ‎– Percussive Jazz
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1714

Ron Steele ‎– Everybody's Baby
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1717

The Kendalls ‎– Heaven's Just A Sin Away
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1719

Mark Gaddis ‎– Carousel Man
Ovation Records ‎– OV 1720

Please note that this LP was originally issued as a private pressing on Merrimae called "Heart Travels" before Ovation picked it up and released it under the title "Carousel Man". Which makes me doubt that it actually offers a Quad mix even though the back cover shows the Sector 4 Stereophonic Sound blurb. Mark Anderson's surrounddiscography states that it is Quad but I believe he may not be aware of the album having been released privately.
Harold Sliger ‎– We're Gonna Love
Ovation Records ‎– OV/1722

C. J. ‎– My Lady's Eyes (artist's name is Curt Johnson)
Ovation Records ‎– OV/1724

Don Barnett ‎– They Call The Wind Maria
Ovation Records ‎– OV 1725

Henry Franklin ‎– Blue Lights (compilation of material found on his two Black Jazz albums which were QS encoded)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1801

The Awakening ‎– Brand New Feeling (compilation of material found on their two Black Jazz albums which were QS encoded)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1802

Gene Russell ‎– Listen Here (compilation of material found on his two Black Jazz albums of which one was QS encoded so the other tracks may not be real Quad)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1803

Calvin Keys ‎– Criss Cross (compilation of material found on his two Black Jazz albums of which one was QS encoded so the other tracks may not be real Quad)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1804

Rudolph Johnson ‎– Time And Space (compilation of material found on his two Black Jazz albums of which one was QS encoded so the other tracks may not be real Quad)
Ovation Records ‎– OV-1805

It is interesting how these companies tried to distance themselves from Quad when it was on the way down....and now.... decades later...we see a mild Quad resurgence in surround circles...it just makes these recent quad releases even more amazing....what AF...Rhino...and Dutton have done is just remarkable....great post Simon A

Back