Patch cords

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bushmaster

500 Club - QQ All-Star
I have a new(to me) Dual CS 721 arriving tomorrow that someone removed the original patch cord and replaced it with a standard RCA patch cord. In as much as CD-4 patch cords are hard to find I will have to manufacture a new one. What is the microfarad requirement for about 4 feet of patch cord from the turntable and the demodulator? Or the uF per foot or yard.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Now where did all of the experts go? They were here a short while ago. I'll be damned! Absolutely quiet.

Last edited:
I wish I could help but I don't remember or just never knew.

Someone here should know, maybe winopener or quadtrade? "Quad First" is a CD-4 expert but he only stops by once in a while. You could try PM'ing him.

The lowest I"ve found is a Belden video cable, thin, easy to work with, haven't tried it yet, about 19 pF/ft.. Belden lists pF/ft for each wire number on their site.

Thanks Jon. I appreciate you prodding the experts out of the hinter land.

Picofarads (instead of microfarads) O K...That helps. Thanks.

This was not really an issue by the 80s, we had thick cords that work fine. This was an issue back when cd-4 started, if you are old like me, ya remember all cables were thin pieces of crap back in the early 70s. Grab a good thick cable and soldier correct and it will work fine.

Turntable and cables - 100pF max. (although up to 125pF will still work).

Thickness is not really an indicator. I have seen thin cables with very low capacitance and thick with high capacitance. It's all in the design. You have to go by specs or measure them.

Doug

Thanks Jon. I appreciate you prodding the experts out of the hinter land.

The French call it Noblesse Oblige.

That, and the fact that he's just a nice guy who happens to own and run the board. He cares. Like me, he's a music lover, not a tech guy (wish I had been, though, the repairs woulda been a lot easier to do and a LOT less expensive).

ED :)

I have a new(to me) Dual CS 721 arriving tomorrow that someone removed the original patch cord and replaced it with a standard RCA patch cord. In as much as CD-4 patch cords are hard to find I will have to manufacture a new one. What is the microfarad requirement for about 4 feet of patch cord from the turntable and the demodulator? Or the uF per foot or yard.

Thanks.

Bushmaster - If you really must have an OEM CD-4 cable, send me a PM and I can send you the one that came with my old Panasonic CD-4 demodulator. You can have it for the cost of shipping - consider it my QQ community service project for the year. Do you realize that this cable is only about 25" long?

Hogwash. I have never found a cable that does not work when i used my Harmon Kardon t60 which has rca outputs on the turntable for cables. Any monster cable will work fine.

Turntable and cables - 100pF max. (although up to 125pF will still work).

Thickness is not really an indicator. I have seen thin cables with very low capacitance and thick with high capacitance. It's all in the design. You have to go by specs or measure them.

Doug

ar surround...Recieved it yesterday. As my turntable is rather close to the demodulator it was a perfect fit.

Postage on the way.

Thanks Mike

Hogwash. I have never found a cable that does not work when i used my Harmon Kardon t60 which has rca outputs on the turntable for cables. Any monster cable will work fine.

You can ignore the CD-4 specifications all you want. It doesn't make you correct.

You're just being belligerent because I don't agree with your leftist politics.

Doug

Back