HiRez Poll Paul, Billy - LIVE IN EUROPE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Billy Paul - LIVE IN EUROPE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 Multichannel SACD release from Dutton Vocalion of the classic Billy Paul album "Live in Europe".
This Multichannel SACD release includes the original 1970s Quadraphonic mix, remastered and released for the first time in over 40 years! :eek:
(BTW, the Dutton Vocalion website lists this SACD as a 'LIMITED EDITION' release.)

(y):)(n)

LP KZ 32952 (1974) STEREO/ZQ 32952 QUADRAPHONIC

1: WAR OF THE GODS – INTRODUCTION (Gamble; Huff)
2: BROWN BABY (Gamble; Huff)
3: THANKS FOR SAVING MY LIFE (Gamble; Huff)
4: ME AND MRS. JONES (Gamble; Huff; Gilbert)
5: YOUR SONG (John; Taupin)

Arrangers: Billy Paul, Caldwell McMillan
Recorded at Hammersmith Odeon, London & Central Hall, Chatham, December 1973
Mobile recording facilities provided by The Rolling Stones & The Manor
Recording engineers: Jay Mark, Bob Hall
Remixed at Sigma Sound Studios, Philadelphia
Remix engineer: Jay Mark
Quadraphonic remix engineer: Jay Mark
Producer: Bobby Martin

Remastered from the original analogue tapes by Michael J. Dutton
Multi-ch Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SA-CD
This hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD players

81TkkIZ9%2BaL._SL1429_.jpg

I listened to this 2 nights ago and was laughing out loud..a WONDERFUL performance by ALL!!! ..and a "MODERN" surround mix to boot!!!!
This guy really had a great voice and the performance is top notch....
and let's not even go to the wonderful job that the warlock from Watsford has done on remastering these suckers!!!!
iknowiknowiknow..too many 10s but you know? I don't give a freakin flying shite!!!! a TEN!!!!!

..we are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LUCKY!!!!!!!

I listened to this 2 nights ago and was laughing out loud..a WONDERFUL performance by ALL!!! ..and a "MODERN" surround mix to boot!!!!
This guy really had a great voice and the performance is top notch....
and let's not even go to the wonderful job that the warlock from Watsford has done on remastering these suckers!!!!
iknowiknowiknow..too many 10s but you know? I don't give a freakin flying shite!!!! a TEN!!!!!

..we are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LUCKY!!!!!!!

SHORT, but OH, SO SWEET K'nK! Incredible rendition of Me and Mrs Jones.

And yeah, KAP, life would be oh so dull without Dutton Vocalion's massive amounts of STERLING QUAD SACDs.

Another 10 is right!

Getting in another vote for this one- it's a 9 from me. I spun it again last night, and for a live surround mix it's very good. I guess that shouldn't really be a surprise given it was mixed for SQ LP release, and CBS' engineers usually followed the SQ mixing rules (stick to the four corners, no center back panning, etc). Usually the brass, backing vocals, and some rhythm guitar are in the rears. Of course Billy Paul's studio quads are in a league of their own, but this is a great live performance and thankfully not an "in the audience" mix.

I've just ordered the SQ LP of The O'Jays' Live In London (from the same tour, if I'm not mistaken)- hoping the mix is on par with this. It's the only way to hear "Love Train" and "Back Stabbers" in quad.

Last edited:
Getting in another vote for this one- it's a 9 from me. I spun it again last night, and for a live surround mix it's very good. I guess that shouldn't really be a surprise given it was mixed for SQ LP release, and CBS' engineers usually followed the SQ mixing rules (stick to the four corners, no center back panning, etc). Usually the brass, backing vocals, and some rhythm guitar are in the rears. Of course Billy Paul's studio quads are in a league of their own, but this is a great live performance and thankfully not an "in the audience" mix.

I've just ordered the SQ LP of The O'Jays' Live In London (from the same tour, if I'm not mistaken)- hoping the mix is on par with this. It's the only way to hear "Love Train" and "Back Stabbers" in quad.

fwiw i prefer the Quad of The O'Jays Live In London (from the same gig as this one) the performance is stronger, the set is longer and the sound quality and mix are better.

Went with a “9” on this one, but it’s damn close to a “10”. I wish all live surround mixes were this good! And this sounds great for an early 70s mix as well. Great performances as well. Band is stellar, Billy sounds great.

The mastering is great too.

It’s too short for what one expects from a live album and I guess maybe I don’t love the material enough for this to be a perfect album for me. I don’t how often I’ll play it, but this one is very, very good.

Back