• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

PC for Multichannel Music Playback - What's your Setup?

Kal Rubinson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
A huge section of settings one need not bother with at all in JRiver for bit-perfect playback, or trying to get dsf files playing in their full resolution state (no down-sampling). If you can see where I am going with this.
Not really. One can go either way.

Kal Rubinson

Somebody bumped this old post with a "like," so I will update my post, now, 3 years later.
CAPS V3 Zuma with JRMC v19 connected to exaSound e28 mch DAC via USB and/or Meridian 621/861 via HDMI. EQ options include DiracLive on the server or MRC in the 861.
Baetis Prodigy-X PC-based music server with JRMC v23 (64bit) or ROON, connected to exaSound e38 mch DAC via USB. EQ options include DiracLive on the server and filters/convolutions in JRMC or ROON. Meridian gone.

Download files or Rip with dBPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor, PS3. Store on remote QNAP NAS.
Download files or rip with dBPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor, SACD-Extract on PS3 or Oppo. Store on remote QNAP NAS.

A continuing delight to have easy access to spectacular assortment of HD, multichannel music and there are thousands more to rip.
No change here.

milt

500 Club - QQ All Star
Somebody bumped this old post with a "like," so I will update my post, now, 3 years later.
Baetis Prodigy-X PC-based music server with JRMC v23 (64bit) or ROON, connected to exaSound e38 mch DAC via USB. EQ options include DiracLive on the server and filters/convolutions in JRMC or ROON. Meridian gone.
Download files or rip with dBPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor, SACD-Extract on PS3 or Oppo. Store on remote QNAP NAS.
No change here.
Kal, do you use any of the "De-Crapifiers", i.e., USB, Ethernet, etc., so en-vogue today?

bmoura

Friendly Moderator
Staff member
Kal, do you use any of the "De-Crapifiers", i.e., USB, Ethernet, etc., so en-vogue today?
The various enhancers I've seen on the market focus on USB.

With Ethernet, you just run long lengths of cable. No enhancing needed.
That's certainly been my experience running Ethernet to the Multichannel NADAC from Merging Technologies here.

Steve Schoultz

No change here.
Hi Kal,

Appreciate the update. I've been looking at the Prodigy for awhile. Not sure the X version is in my price range. Might need to settle for the M-2 version. I intend to use the HDMI for multichannel to my Denon. SPDIF to my Oppo 105 initially until I can upgrade my DAC. I'm curious why you are using USB to interface with your exaSound. I see you have DiracLive installed on the server? Did Baetis assist you or Dirac? Thanks in advance for any reply or advice.

Kal Rubinson

I have tried several but, so far, none have stuck. More coming. I appreciate the attraction of getting a bootful of improvement from a gadget without buying a new major component.

Kal Rubinson

I intend to use the HDMI for multichannel to my Denon. SPDIF to my Oppo 105 initially until I can upgrade my DAC.
Should be fine. I use a similar arrangement in my weekend place with a Win-based (bootcamped MacMini) server with HDMI into my Marantz prepro and DLNA to the Oppo.
I'm curious why you are using USB to interface with your exaSound.
What else could I use and get multichannel?
I see you have DiracLive installed on the server? Did Baetis assist you or Dirac?
Yes, I have it on both servers but, no, I did it myself. It ain't hard.

Steve Schoultz

Should be fine. I use a similar arrangement in my weekend place with a Win-based (bootcamped MacMini) server with HDMI into my Marantz prepro and DLNA to the Oppo.
What else could I use and get multichannel?
Yes, I have it on both servers but, no, I did it myself. It ain't hard.
Thanks Kal. I was confusing two channel and multichannel.

drphibes

The Saga of HDMI and Disappointment, but victory lies ahead.

Back when I upgraded the Mac Mini to a model that came with HDMI, I was delighted. Finally I could play lossless multichannel audio on the same computer that controlled the TV and Stereo music. Previously I had to encode everything into DTS to fit it through the TOSLINK connection that was "required" on earlier models.

(Obviously I had non-Mac options. I had reasons other than music for this decision)

With great anticipation, I ripped Amused to Death into high res FLAC.

The tragedy was that (I thought at the time) the Mac Mini would see the TV in the HDMI chain and immediately downmix to stereo. Infuriating. The MIDI output would see all the channels, but when I'd play music, it would downmix to stereo. I was limited to 2-channel, 16 bit, 44.1 khz output with encoded digital audio to hear surround. Depressing.

By chance I learned that the problem was not the computer, but the software. iTunes and COG would force playback to stereo, but Songbird, Nightingale, and VLC would play multichannel music just fine.

Why?

I have no idea. I've been gleefully re-ripping all of my physical medial into multichannel flac. It's been a delight. Nightingale, which was created from the ashes of Songbird, works just fine for my needs.

One moment of sadness - the Bowie Young Americans DVD-A won't rip anymore. Depressing as hell. I can get to track four, and then blooey. I've tried cleaning the disk, using different programs, but no dice.

My advice: fiddle with everything if it's not working. There might be some dumb reason why it doesn't work, and you might happen upon a happy solution. I suspect there might be a setting in iTunes that will fix this, but I've tried everything in there and can't figure it out.

drphibes

My advice: fiddle with everything if it's not working. There might be some dumb reason why it doesn't work, and you might happen upon a happy solution. I suspect there might be a setting in iTunes that will fix this, but I've tried everything in there and can't figure it out.
Followup to this - I have friends who know a great deal more than me about HDMI, and they tell that it causes a lot of strange behavior and has some voodoo to it.

stevendive

One of my playback routes for a specific purpose, playback of ambisonic B-Format files, setup as follows.

Comp, MacBook Pro 13”.
App, VLC.
Output from VLC to USB DAC, U-DAC8 (miniDSP) 8 channel asynchronous box. Output to line level phono to
Meridian G61RSL digital surround processor.

Using Audacity I first convert the ambisonic files in AMB format to WAV, which VLC van play back. As I don’t have a spherical decoder, I use just the first three, horizontal only, channels WXY.

humprof

I also had problems with it at first but I think I forgot to start the server (not sure though).

View attachment 16911
After updating to the latest stable version of foobar2000 (1.3.17?), I can no longer get foobar2000 controller to work. Even though it "sees" the computer (and its IP address) on which I have foobar2000 installed, it tells me that I'm "Disconnected" from that computer. Meanwhile, on the computer side, when I open the "HTTP Control" setting, the gray bar next to the "Start Server" box simply says "Bind failed." (I manually updated my foobar2000 controller dll to the latest version I could find, 0.9.17, and that made no difference.)

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

kvsawilson

After updating to the latest stable version of foobar2000 (1.3.17?), I can no longer get foobar2000 controller to work. Even though it "sees" the computer (and its IP address) on which I have foobar2000 installed, it tells me that I'm "Disconnected" from that computer. Meanwhile, on the computer side, when I open the "HTTP Control" setting, the gray bar next to the "Start Server" box simply says "Bind failed." (I manually updated my foobar2000 controller dll to the latest version I could find, 0.9.17, and that made no difference.)

Anyone else experiencing this problem?
I had that bind failed problem at some point and finally got it to work by changing the port from 8888 to 8000 . Not sure why it worked, but didn't argue. Now you have me wondering if I want to do the next update. I hate doing an update just to have it cause new problems.

K

humprof

I had that bind failed problem at some point and finally got it to work by changing the port from 8888 to 8000 . Not sure why it worked, but didn't argue. Now you have me wondering if I want to do the next update. I hate doing an update just to have it cause new problems.

K
Magic! Worked for me, too (once I changed the port number on both the computer side and the controller app side). Thanks, K!