Petition to UMG to release the early Steely Dans in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Dear All:

With Jon’s blessing, steelydave, sjcorne and I have started a petition on Change.org asking Universal to release any or all of the early Steely Dan albums (Can’t Buy a Thrill through Aja) in 5.1. We don’t want to be too mysterious about it—and out of respect for our sources, we’d rather not have a lot of public speculation about it here on the boards—but as we say in the petition: we’ve secured a legitimate pledge from an insider who can put the case forward at Universal for making this happen (i.e., this isn’t just a clutch of over-enthusiastic fans with a pipe-dream agenda), and we think an early show of support could help our contact make the case.

So if this is something you’d like to see happen, please add your signature! And if you’d like to add a comment, that’d be good, too—though we’d encourage you to keep it positive and supportive (i.e., this is probably not the place to dump on the majors or grouse about missed opportunities and might-have-beens, etc.). Better to say what an avid fan you are (of Steely Dan, Elliott Scheiner's mixes, surround in general, whatever), what these releases would mean to you, how you already spend a ton each year on physical media/digital downloads, what a nice way this would be to honor the memory of Walter Becker or mark the upcoming anniversary of Pretzel Logic…that kind of thing.

Also: these sorts of petitions are more effective when they’re spread by grass roots and word of mouth, so sharing the petition with another Dan-fan/surround fan is as important as signing it yourself.

Right. Let’s get the ball rolling. As Robert von Bahr of BIS Records says: “We won’t sit still! We will make it happen!”

Here's a direct link (just click that highlighted text). If anyone runs into technical problems, let me know; I think it may also be possible to embed the petition into this post if that's easier.

Last edited:
We understand that some folks may be a bit skeptical about this (I bet some probably remember when pre-order links for these discs were available all those years ago) and yes it's true the surround community has been burned before, but there's no really no harm in showing your support by signing off. No donations involved, just a simple signature.

As humprof said, we really do have an inside contact willing to support us- again, we apologize for having to be so shadowy about it- and I know from reading this board for years that there are plenty of folks here who would jump at the chance to have these six wonderful albums in surround. Let UMG know and maybe they'll surprise us...it's not like the forum hasn't driven new releases before.

I've already signed off and I'll be sure to do my part spreading the word.

Last edited:
One important overlooked communication to UMG......can we please have them in LOSSLESS codecs, preferably BD~A and/or MLP DVDA~5.1?

Already taken care of:

"In view of this, and in view of Steely Dan’s large and avid fan base, we’re asking that Universal release any finished 5.1 mixes of the band’s early albums and commission the completion of the others in one or more accessible, high-resolution formats, physical or digital."

Back