Petition to UMG to release the early Steely Dans in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would definitely petition for Steely Dan’s first 6 albums for a Quadio Box Set.
Signed with hope in my heart, ears and mind.

Welcome to QQ, both of you. When it comes to big record companies doing the right thing, there's a lot of pessimism (and cynicism) on this forum, most of it justified. But plenty of optimism, too. If you've scrolled through this thread and read the final update on the petition, you know that the organizers aren't holding out much hope any more. But UMG could always surprise us...

When it comes to big record companies doing the right thing, there's a lot of pessimism (and cynicism) on this forum, most of it justified. But plenty of optimism, too.

What? You mean "payola?" Oh wait, that was the 50s.

What? You mean records equalized to sound good on AM radio? Oh wait, that was the 60s.

What? You mean crappy vinyl pressings, like Days of Future Past pressed off-center? Or vinyl so crappy and loaded with noise and pops you'd think they used #6 fuel oil straight out of the barrel? Oh wait, that was the 70's.

What? You mean CD's pressed directly from LP masters with the wrong equalization curves? Oh wait, that was the mid-80's.

What? You mean digitally remastered CD's with brickwalling and with excessive HF boost? Oh, wait that as the mid-90's onward.

I guess it's a matter of "no pain, no gain" because...

We got MFSL vinyl and now Rhino and DV issuing magnificently done Quadio's and SACD Quads at reasonable prices. Maybe we'll get yet another big surprise in the near future!

What? You mean "payola?" Oh wait, that was the 50s.

What? You mean records equalized to sound good on AM radio? Oh wait, that was the 60s.

What? You mean crappy vinyl pressings, like Days of Future Past pressed off-center? Or vinyl so crappy and loaded with noise and pops you'd think they used #6 fuel oil straight out of the barrel? Oh wait, that was the 70's.

What? You mean CD's pressed directly from LP masters with the wrong equalization curves? Oh wait, that was the mid-80's.

What? You mean digitally remastered CD's with brickwalling and with excessive HF boost? Oh, wait that as the mid-90's onward.

I guess it's a matter of "no pain, no gain" because...

We got MFSL vinyl and now Rhino and DV issuing magnificently done Quadio's and SACD Quads at reasonable prices. Maybe we'll get yet another big surprise in the near future!

I guess I was specifically referring to the release of multi-channel music. But yeah...

And DV and Rhino--and maybe Sony Japan?--are definitely in the glass-half-full column.

Back