Pineapple Thief summer 2018 release Dissolution

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening to a promo CD in the car until my big box arrives, hopefully in a few days. Unsure yet! It's dark and desolate and menacing at times, in a more broad way than prior TPT outings that were more rooted in struggles of individual relationships and loss. Some searing guitar work and fine drumming. Not an easy listen by any means. Just nine tracks, and two are very brief.

Looking forward to the hi-res surround version to hear what's really going on in this...reserving judgment...

Mine arrived today. No problems playing it on my Oppo 203. I bought this on a whim as I've never heard any Pineapple Thief before. The price was right and y'all seem to dig them so I figured I'd give it a shot. Enjoyed the first listen. Mix is nice although a couple of the rockier songs felt a little harsh sonics-wise. The "unplugged" version of the album is very nice, the surround on that version is well done. I think I may prefer the "unplugged" version, but I have to give the whole thing a few more listens. Only complaint right now is that it doesn't come with a download code. I can't rip from bl-ray and I'd like to listen to it in 2.0 in the car.

My blu ray plays fine on my Oppo 203, no such lagging. I only played the PCM tracks though (both stereo and surround).

The album is right up there with Your Wilderness, a natural follow up. Can't stop hearing the numerous catchy melodies in my head all day. All That You've Got is my early fave, mainly for the awesome break just before the 2nd verse (the bass run is amazing here!). The acoustic versions are every bit as good as usually is the case with past releases from the band.

Mine arrived today. No problems playing it on my Oppo 203. I bought this on a whim as I've never heard any Pineapple Thief before. The price was right and y'all seem to dig them so I figured I'd give it a shot. Enjoyed the first listen. Mix is nice although a couple of the rockier songs felt a little harsh sonics-wise. The "unplugged" version of the album is very nice, the surround on that version is well done. I think I may prefer the "unplugged" version, but I have to give the whole thing a few more listens. Only complaint right now is that it doesn't come with a download code. I can't rip from bl-ray and I'd like to listen to it in 2.0 in the car.

If you like Dissolution you should pick up the 'Where We Stood' live Blu-ray. It includes two 5.1 mixes of the full gig, plus the last studio album 'Your Wilderness', the accompanying '8 Years Later' album and some acoustic tracks all in 5.1 etc... Possibly the best value 5.1 release I've seen ;)

Last edited:
Listening to it in stereo for the moment on Tidal... The music is awesome, really at the level of Your Wilderness. And the stereo mix rock. Still in love with Gavin's drumming (y)

My blu-ray should be at the post office tomorrow after a week playing cat & mouse around my mail box :cry:

I'd be interested to know if you guys have any compatibility issues with this disc. It plays on my Cambridge 650BD but really gives the player a hard time, pressing a button on the remote takes a few seconds for the player to react, I've never seen this behaviour with any disc before. The cheaper 3D Panasonic that usually plays anything I throw at it recognises it as a Blu-ray, flashes up 'loading' for a split second and then the screen goes black and that's it. Maybe I have a faulty disc???

Interestingly, the only review on Amazon.co.uk for the blu ray has given it one star - but only as they’ve had two copies, neither of which worked. Hopefully you’ll get a response from Neil, if so it’d be great if you can share it. (As a side note, the only BR my Sony has ever struggled with was coincidentally Where We Stood, but I put that down to the sheer amount of data on it.)

If you like Dissolution you should pick up the 'Where We Stood' live Blu-ray. It includes two 5.1 mixes of the full gig, plus the last studio album 'Your Wilderness', the accompanying '8 Years Later' album and some acoustic tracks all in 5.1 etc... Possibly the best value 5.1 release I've seen ;-)

I hope Wilson's upcoming Blu-ray RAH takes a cue from this one and gives us both the in house quadraphonic live mix and a new 5.1 mix, very cool to have two surround options.

Interestingly, the only review on Amazon.co.uk for the blu ray has given it one star - but only as they’ve had two copies, neither of which worked. Hopefully you’ll get a response from Neil, if so it’d be great if you can share it. (As a side note, the only BR my Sony has ever struggled with was coincidentally Where We Stood, but I put that down to the sheer amount of data on it.)

I've had a response from Neil, but no solution as yet. I've sent him a bunch of extra info that he asked for about my set-up, so I'm waiting for a reply to that. Will keep you posted...

Compared with Your Wilderness, I don't think Dissolution's songs give Bruce's vocals the chance to shine, and I miss that! I felt that he pushed his limits on Wilderness, and on certain songs on the solo album--Leaves Leave comes to mind--and that the results were beautiful.

My deluxe arrived today so I hope to try it out this weekend, hopefully without any disc issues (Oppo BDP83 and a cheapo Panasonic BDT-210, also got one of those Sony X800 when it was super cheap in July but it's still in the box)

Went to play the 5.1 blu-ray in the Panasonic and it won't even get to the home screen. Didn't feel like putzing around at the moment, and the Oppo is in the other room where they're watching a movie so I just tossed in the DTS DVD instead....will have to play around a bit, and perhaps contact Neil if I don't get anywhere....

Went to play the 5.1 blu-ray in the Panasonic and it won't even get to the home screen. Didn't feel like putzing around at the moment, and the Oppo is in the other room where they're watching a movie so I just tossed in the DTS DVD instead....will have to play around a bit, and perhaps contact Neil if I don't get anywhere....

I suspect it's probably due to a firmware update issue. Hopefully, it'll play in your OPPO. Good luck! [see MY post #90 above].

I've played it twice on my Oppo 93 and no issues at all. Unfocused listens (today while doing the ironing and out of the sweet spot), but at least I can say that I like the album a lot. I'll share a review as soon as I manage to find 45 minutes on my own, which most likely won't happen until next week.

Love this album so far, especially the last 2 tracks. Gavin is really a band member now, co-writing most of the songs. Nice.

The re-imagened tracks are something special. In the past Bruce had his acoustic versions which are great, but now he has outdone himself and created the re-imagined versions. Very nice. And just like the main album also in surround.
Another great release from Bruce and co.

TPT's blu ray releases are really the standard these days for multichannel release of new material.

Love this album so far, especially the last 2 tracks. Gavin is really a band member now, co-writing most of the songs. Nice.

The re-imagened tracks are something special. In the past Bruce had his acoustic versions which are great, but now he has outdone himself and created the re-imagined versions. Very nice. And just like the main album also in surround.
Another great release from Bruce and co.

TPT's blu ray releases are really the standard these days for multichannel release of new material.
Great to hear...my copy arrives tomorrow.

Great to hear...my copy arrives tomorrow.
Hope you like it buddy. It has been a while since the days of the old TPT forum where a few people were trying to get Bruce into multichannel mixing. @Neil Palfreyman will remember ;) Great to see that Bruce got into it and is releasing al this hig quality content.

Back