Pineapple Thief summer 2018 release Dissolution

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you think he’s a mediocre drummer!

Who thinks that Gavin Harrison is a mediocre drummer?

He won the Modern Drummer magazine readers' poll for "best progressive drummer of the year" consecutively from 2007–2010 and again in 2016. He won "Best Prog Drummer" in DRUM USA magazine 2011. He is the featured cover story on Modern Drummer January 2009 and February 2015. Rolling Stone Magazine polls rate him as the third best drummer in the past 25 years. Best Prog Drummer 2011 & 2012 in Prog Magazine. In 2014, Modern Drummer magazine placed Gavin in the Top 50 Greatest Drummers of all Time.

Dare I say that Gavin Harrison is a better fit in TPT versus PT? If you think he’s a mediocre drummer, just listen for the break in Threatening War through to the end of that song. Also the ride symbol and drumming during White Mist. Parts of that song remind me of Fear Of A Blank Planet. Incredible!

Gavin a mediocre drummer - who in their right mind would ever think or say that???? I've never anyone say that. Yes, some may question his style's appropriateness in any situation and that can be legit,(i.e. - SW having him do parts for To the Bone but not using them), but mediocre...never ever a word I'd associate with Gav.

Last edited:
Gavin a mediocre drummer - who in their right mind would ever think or say that???? I've never anyone say that. Yes, some may question his style's appropriateness in any situation and that can be legit,(i.e. - SW having him do parts for To the Bone but not using them), but mediocre...never ever a word I'd associate with Gav.

Wait, wut? Gavin recorded for To The Bone? Wasn't aware of that...

Dare I say that Gavin Harrison is a better fit in TPT versus PT? If you think he’s a mediocre drummer, just listen for the break in Threatening War through to the end of that song. Also the ride symbol and drumming during White Mist. Parts of that song remind me of Fear Of A Blank Planet. Incredible!
I remember listening to FOABP for the first time and after the final drum roll I thought, what is going on with this drummer? LOL, Gavin is now my favorite prog drummer.

Wait, wut? Gavin recorded for To The Bone? Wasn't aware of that...

from an interview back in May:
And would there ever be a time that you think you’d be playing with Gavin Harrison again? Like on your solo albums, would you ever invite him in?

Well, actually Gavin did play on two songs on “To the Bone”, but I didn’t use his performances. Uh, not because he’s not great, it’s just, it’s always a stylistic thing. Gavin has a very strong style, and every drummer has their own personality. So there’s your answer: I worked with Gavin quite recently on “To the Bone” and he didn’t end up on the record, but he could have done. Yeah, we’re still friends and, and if it was the right material, I would certainly work with Gavin. Gavin is a very meticulous drummer. This album didn’t suit his style so well. It was a looser pop sensibility, again. I used a drummer who ironically is working with Gavin now in King Crimson, a guy called Jeremy Stacey, who in many ways is the complete antithesis of Gavin. He’s completely intuitive…kind of sloppy, but in a good way. Very beautiful feel. Whereas Gavin is always that meticulous, technical approach to drumming, which isn’t always right for what I do, but he’s an extraordinary musician, no doubt. But it has to be the right kind of material. But I would certainly would still think it’s more than likely that I would work with him again.

The only problem that I find with this album is that it’s too damn short. But...I’d rather have a more complete consistent record than a bunch of filler.

A little funny that these days the traditional 40-45 minute album is thought of as short sometimes.

I'd guess that it has a more than a bit to do with there being another Bruce Soord solo album being somewhat imminent - him sorting his songs out between TPT records and his solo ones, and that works just fine for me.

Here is a video of Gavin playing White Mist,

Who thinks that Gavin Harrison is a mediocre drummer?
That ‘mediocre’ comment was intended as a ‘play on words’. Actually, I’ve met a couple of people that could care less for his drumming and I’ve told them that it’s their loss. And one of them is a drummer (A very good one). Perhaps, jealousy.

YAH, I get to listen to this album finally and hear for myself what you guys have been talking about.

This was my twice sent but once delivered copy.
My first copy supposedly was sent to me and returned back to Amazon, no idea why I would do that but yet that's what it showed on Amazon.
They sent me a second copy and just got it, time to go and LISTEN :)

After half a dozen listens in stereo, and two listens to the alternates, I hate to say it...but I'm disappointed in the songs themselves. I love TPT's other releases, but this one is just doesn't catch fire for me in comparison....maybe it's just me, but reminds me too much of parts of To the Bone, which I have also shelved :(

Okay, I ripped the cd's for 2ch playing in the car where it's not sonically optimum but a decent way to get to know the tunes. A grower for sure. The production is a little less "gritty" that the last and that softer cleaner approach can make the songs be same-ish on first listen, but once given a few sessions this one is up there with his best, it really took off with me once I delved in....

I'm going to bump this up - it was said that a "fix" would be coming for the blu-ray/panasonic issue...no firmware update for my player still...a forgotten thing, or do I get some hidden iso disc download fix?

Anybody else have trouble ripping this disc to a computer? Used three different programs and it hung on each one.

Back