Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apples and oranges. Not an assumption I'd make.

Well, we DO know that the multitracks for the WALL were in deplorable shape and it was announced nearly 5 years ago for release on SACD and there have been NO updates........so what's one to assume?

Perhaps Roger Waters recent double BD~V LIVE release of THE WALL was IT!

It'll actually be hard to top the first-class upmix that been circulating for awhile now.

Have it, like it, BUT you really think an upmix from an at least one generation removed mix can ever match or equal a mix from the first gen Analog Tapes?

I'm interested in how you think that could happen especially with Guthrie being the mixer so that takes any question of the actual mix being at fault.

Last edited:
So, one can assume that plans for a 5.1 release of THE WALL have been scrapped!o_O

I don't see why an impending release of Animals has anything to do with a future release of The Wall. The Waters tour and movie have kept The Wall in the public eye for the last few years. If I was PF management, I wouldn't release a new version of The Wall at this time either. I'd think the public is already pretty saturated with it and I'd be waiting for a better time to roll it out.

Apparently, the time is right for an Animals release.

And when did anyone connected with the band ever used the word "deplorable" when describing The Wall multi-tracks? I thought I read there were some problems with some of them... but no more than that. For all we know, the whole Wall remix is already complete and waiting for the band to decide its the right time to release it, Just like is being done now with Animals.

Well, we DO know that the multitracks for the WALL were in deplorable shape and it was announced nearly 5 years ago for release on SACD and there have been NO updates........so what's one to assume?

Perhaps Roger Waters recent double BD~V LIVE release of THE WALL was IT!

i thought the 5.1 mix of the wall (done by guthrie) was completed a few years ago (but not in time for the immersion set release)

as far as an animals 5.1 release, count me in.

i thought the 5.1 mix of the wall (done by guthrie) was completed a few years ago (but not in time for the immersion set release)

as far as an animals 5.1 release, count me in.

AFAIK, the WALL was announced as a 5.1 SACD release as far back as 2011 but the SCOTCH magnetic tape on which the WALL's multitracks were recorded had issues with the binder material and I know he had to bake them. No updates, since then, but hopefully he resolved the issues.

It's not absolutely essential to me, but if a 5.1 mix of "Animals" is being released (and it certainly appears to be that way!) I would hope a new stereo mix would also be released as well.
IMHO, "Animals" is a great album, but I think it has one of the worst mixes out of any album Pink Floyd made that decade.
Plus, if there is an unreleased Quadraphonic mix of the album as well, I'll take that on a Blu-Ray too.

:)

It's not absolutely essential to me, but if a 5.1 mix of "Animals" is being released (and it certainly appears to be that way!) I would hope a new stereo mix would also be released as well.
IMHO, "Animals" is a great album, but I think it has one of the worst mixes out of any album Pink Floyd made that decade.
Plus, if there is an unreleased Quadraphonic mix of the album as well, I'll take that on a Blu-Ray too.

:)

Even James Guthrie himself alluded to the fact that he thought of all the 70's, 80's PF albums, the recorded sound of Animals was somewhat lackluster [he specifically alluded to the drum sound]. Will try to find that interview.

Animals is one of my top 3 PF albums (WYWH and OBC being the other 2) so I'm thrilled that this is on the radar "officially" now. This is one I could even possibly spring for an immersion set should they do one with some decent stuff from their vaults (live 77 tour stuff - word is no multitracked shows but lots of soundboards in their possession). New stereo, quad if it was indeed done.....I'm in.

Back