Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems we're going to get some news on June 12th, according to this site https://www.floydianslip.com/news/2018/06/floyd-related-news-coming-june-12/ and to our buddy Rontoon.
Hopefully related to Animals in 5.1, hopefully to something else. All in all, any release from the Floyd can be exciting, can't it? Let the countdown begin!

Already 6 pages of speculation in a matter of hours over on “the other forum”. My money is on an Animals super deluxe box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be too excited about next week announcement as now it seems we may have Mason's two solo albums plus an unreleased one on vinyl. Oh, if they would complement this release with a surround remix... Fictitious Sports would be a particularly good choice for that.
I hope this opens the doors for future re-releases for the rest of Floyd related solo efforts. David Gilmour first plus Richard and Roger's albums would be welcome.

Don't be too excited about next week announcement as now it seems we may have Mason's two solo albums plus an unreleased one on vinyl. Oh, if they would complement this release with a surround remix... Fictitious Sports would be a particularly good choice for that.
That's what I heard. My guess is that the unreleased one will be the White of the Eye soundtrack.

That's what I heard. My guess is that the unreleased one will be the White of the Eye soundtrack.
Don't really know what to hope for. White of the Eye seems to be the obvious choice but, if you take the effort to release a solo boxset, why not publishing everything? I mean, we also have Tank Malling waiting in the vaults plus the music for Life Could be a Dream documentary (and the commercials he did with Fenn).
If the box is as pricey as rumoured, I still have some hopes for something else.
What scares me is to end up with a Frankenstein of White of the Eye and Tank Malling on the same record. Not too long to find out at least.

Official announcement from the Floyd camp today is that it is the Nick Mason solo set that is coming in August:

Released on August 31st, 2018 is Nick Mason's 'Unattended Luggage', a three album CD or vinyl box set of his albums 'Nick Mason's Fictitious Sports', 'Profiles' and 'White of the Eye'. These limited edition box sets will be available shortly before his acclaimed new band Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets begin their European tour at Cirkus in Stockholm on September 2nd.
Nick said, "These recordings hold a very special place for me in my musical life. 'Fictitious Sports' developed initially from working with Mike Mantler, Carla Bley and Robert Wyatt on a couple of their projects, and benefited enormously from a whole crew of great musicians that I was introduced to by them at Grog Kill Studios in Woodstock.
"'Profiles' and 'White of the Eye' were an extension of working with Rick Fenn on some advertising and short documentary film soundtracks, which then developed into something more.
"Listening back after 30 odd years, I'm delighted they are getting the reissue treatment. I'm rather hoping that sales will be sufficient to damage the market in the original rare vinyl versions!"

Too bad he didn't have Andy Jackson remix them for 5.1 blu-ray.

47 pounds for the vinyl box on Amazon UK and 14 for the three CDs. Not cheap vinyl, but nothing exaggerated.
A missed opportunity for surround and also too much missing content from Nick's solo career.

Last edited:
I never even knew Nick Mason had a solo career! :eek:

I bought Electric Moo when it came out, but seldom listen to the studio sides.

I'm sure anybody interested has perused the thread on sh.tv. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/nick-mason-3-lp-box.756012/
These three posts summed up nicely, and made me chuckle:
___________________________________________________________________________________

The Bishop, Yesterday at 10:27 AM
I played Profiles last week, but couldn’t make it to the end of side 2. Not a very good album.

rontoon, Yesterday at 10:31 AM
Same here. 3 songs and out. Then I tried Fictitious Sports. Forced my way through the first side (the end guitar solo is the highlight of the album). More of a Carla Bley album than Nick Mason's so not a fan of this one either. I've had White of the Eye for years and needed a brief reminder of why I never listen to it.

Having said that, for under $20 I was hard pressed not to pick up the CD version.

m20gull, Yesterday at 10:44 AM
Never listened to any of these but at that price it would be rude not to.

:hi

Gosh, price for the vinyl rocketed up since the announcement! I pre-ordered for 48 pounds and it reached now 67.
I'm unsure if I'll keep the order, but I'm glad I pre-ordered for once

That articles states "CD does not support 5.1 so it would have to be released on Blu-ray." I wish someone would tell that to Fleetwood Mac, LOL.

:eek:

Yeah, seriously, but at least Rhino are a pro Blu-Ray company, so Fleetwood Mac Blu-Ray releases could still happen at some point.

As for “Animals”, I’m predicting a Multichannel SACD release from Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions and a Blu-Ray release with LPCM audio inside a box set. (No DTS audio, cause apparently James Guthrie hates DTS)

Back