Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normally I shopped for fidelity but I ended up with a few interesting artifacts along the way.

I have that one, too! What color is the inner sleeve with the lyrics? Mine is just plain black but 40+ years ago a friend claimed to have seen one in pink.

As for the UK vinyl, I bought one in 1978. I was impressed because it was thick, but it's so noisy that I played it once and filed it. It's flat-out awful.

One interesting (well, to me) thing about that album is that while the cover art and label looks the same for the US, UK and French pressings, they actually list the song titles differently, making it clear they were all individually typeset (or whatever the correct term might be), e.g.:

French & American back cover: "Pigs on the wing (Part One)"
British back cover: "Pigs on the wing 1"
French/British label: "Pigs on the wing (1)"
US back cover: "Pigs on the wing (Part One)"
US label: "Pigs on the wing (Part one)"
All inner sleeves: "Pigs on the Wing (Part One)"

(All capitalization and/or lack thereof theirs, not mine.)

The same "they look identical at first glance but aren't!" is also true of "Wish You Were Here" and "The Wall". As a collector who's also the kind of nerd who puts all this stuff out on a server and collects a lot of live performances, I finally had to create a text file cheat sheet so that I could standardize the song titles across multiple releases, in turn making them all show up via a single search term. So now any time I add one or more of the songs in question I have to consult the file:

Code:
Pigs on the Wing (Part One)
Pigs on the Wing (Part Two)
[inner sleeve of old UK pressing SHVL 815]

Pigs (Three Different Ones)
[back jacket of old UK pressing SHVL 815]

Another Brick in the Wall part 1
Another Brick in the Wall part 2
Another Brick in the Wall part 3
[inner sleeve AND label from vintage Harvest and Columbia vinyl]

Shine on You Crazy Diamond (parts I-V)
Shine on You Crazy Diamond (parts VI-IX)
[parts listed separately or just as "Part One" and "Part Two" on old vinyl, using above for standardization]

It's possible that openly posting this in public here is a cry for help. :)

I have that one, too! What color is the inner sleeve with the lyrics? Mine is just plain black but 40+ years ago a friend claimed to have seen one in pink.

As for the UK vinyl, I bought one in 1978. I was impressed because it was thick, but it's so noisy that I played it once and filed it. It's flat-out awful.

One interesting (well, to me) thing about that album is that while the cover art and label looks the same for the US, UK and French pressings, they actually list the song titles differently, making it clear they were all individually typeset (or whatever the correct term might be), e.g.:

French & American back cover: "Pigs on the wing (Part One)"
British back cover: "Pigs on the wing 1"
French/British label: "Pigs on the wing (1)"
US back cover: "Pigs on the wing (Part One)"
US label: "Pigs on the wing (Part one)"
All inner sleeves: "Pigs on the Wing (Part One)"

(All capitalization and/or lack thereof theirs, not mine.)

The same "they look identical at first glance but aren't!" is also true of "Wish You Were Here" and "The Wall". As a collector who's also the kind of nerd who puts all this stuff out on a server and collects a lot of live performances, I finally had to create a text file cheat sheet so that I could standardize the song titles across multiple releases, in turn making them all show up via a single search term. So now any time I add one or more of the songs in question I have to consult the file:

Code:
Pigs on the Wing (Part One)
Pigs on the Wing (Part Two)
[inner sleeve of old UK pressing SHVL 815]

Pigs (Three Different Ones)
[back jacket of old UK pressing SHVL 815]

Another Brick in the Wall part 1
Another Brick in the Wall part 2
Another Brick in the Wall part 3
[inner sleeve AND label from vintage Harvest and Columbia vinyl]

Shine on You Crazy Diamond (parts I-V)
Shine on You Crazy Diamond (parts VI-IX)
[parts listed separately or just as "Part One" and "Part Two" on old vinyl, using above for standardization]

It's possible that openly posting this in public here is a cry for help. :)

That's very interesting! Thanks for sharing this, will definitely forward this info to my vinyl collecting friend :)

There's still 'talk' but no 'action' concerning the "Animals" 5.1 mix and reissue:

There are also “always plans for remasters” of old Floyd releases, Nick Mason says: “We’re talking a lot about ‘Animals’ in particular because that was an album that musically we like, but technically we sort of did it in our own studio and it’s not quite up to the standard of an Abbey Road production.”

https://nypost.com/2019/04/17/pink-floyds-nick-mason-shares-the-secrets-of-the-bands-legacy/

There's still 'talk' but no 'action' concerning the "Animals" 5.1 mix and reissue:

There is action.
But reissues, especially when it comes to licensing and releasing major artist albums, take time.

It's not a business for the impatient. :)

A Jimi Hendrix Remasters Update

We also received an update from Acoustic Sounds on their Jimi Hendrix remasters project. To date, the Analogue Productions label at Acoustic Sounds has had a positive response to their release of three classic Jimi Hendrix albums (Machine Gun: The Fillmore East First Show, People, Hell & Angels, and Axis: Bold As Love) on LP and Hybrid Stereo SACD. Kassem told us that over 4,000 LP copies of Axis: Bold As Love have been sold. The fourth Hendrix album heading for a new reissue—Are You Experienced?—is on track for release in 2019.

Chad Kassem with Axis Bold As Love LP

Chad Kassem with the UHQR LP Edition of Axis: Bold As Love

Kassem told the audience that some of the other reissue companies wondered how he had scored the Hendrix reissues. His answer: it takes time and patience, lots of it. Apparently, this reissue program had been under discussion for over 20 years before the deal was inked! As Kassem noted, "There are years, and there are Hendrix years."

Chad also responded to a question about interest in purchasing the four Hendrix remasters in Stereo DSD Download and Analog Tape formats as still being possible in the future noting he has asked the Hendrix team about that possibility and "They haven't said no."

https://positive-feedback.com/show-reports/a-return-to-denver-rmaf/

There's still 'talk' but no 'action' concerning the "Animals" 5.1 mix and reissue
The 5.1 mix has been done and dusted for some time. Nick has been on the road and may be out of the loop. I'm assuming that the Animals release was pushed back so they can sell The Later Years first. It's still may come out as a standalone SACD by the end of the year.

For me the Animals release on Sacd will be the holy Grail, than there wouldn't be anything else possibly that would make me spend another dime on surround music. I will have all I want from Floyd after Animals gets released, maybe Abbey Road, Demons and Wizards, etc. Ha🤔

For me the Animals release on Sacd will be the holy Grail, than there wouldn't be anything else possibly that would make me spend another dime on surround music. I will have all I want from Floyd after Animals gets released, maybe Abbey Road, Demons and Wizards, etc. Ha🤔
Come on, obscured by clouds is a brilliant album and it’s sitting in the vault already.

The 5.1 mix has been done and dusted for some time. Nick has been on the road and may be out of the loop. I'm assuming that the Animals release was pushed back so they can sell The Later Years first. It's still may come out as a standalone SACD by the end of the year.
Heard an interview with Nick Mason on Philly radio last week (the interview was done four weeks prior). When asked about future re-issues, he immediately mentioned Animals, but said "it wasn't finished yet". Maybe the hold up is trying to decide what useless swag to include in the box.

Back