Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is so frustrating the way they argue and piss around with these releases. Maybe my kids will enjoy their catalog in surround. Or not. Don’t they realize that the people who love this music are getting ****ing old? And the newer generation does not give a flying **** about anything other than mo3 quality streaming? Sorry to rant, but damn. :mad:

I totally agree with you. If PF would release Obscured By Clouds, Meddle and Animals In 5.1, die hard PF fans that have no interest in 5.1 would even buy them just to complete their collection. They have such a following that if they put out an album of them belching for 45 minutes, it would be certified gold in no time. Shoot, they seem not to have an aversion to making money, put out the goods!

I really want to hear this 5.1 mix too, but I'm trying to look on the bright side of things, which is that:

a) the mix is done, and all band members have approved it, so it will be released at some point. (It's just that they can't agree on HOW to release it...)
b) David and Nick have moved forward on a post-Waters box set called "The Later Years" which will be released this year and it will have a LOT more surround sound content than this (although some of it is previously released)

That's where things stand right now, but I would still love for this to come out sooner!

:)

everything Floyd should be in surround, this is a no brainer.
they're rich enough not to care of course, but since they were using quad in 1967 live performance it should have been a priority since then but nooooooo
they're almost poster children for the format. ...but if they're trying to tease us and keep this drawn out as long as possible, they're doing a great job.

It is so frustrating the way they argue and piss around with these releases. Maybe my kids will enjoy their catalog in surround. Or not. Don’t they realize that the people who love this music are getting ****ing old? And the newer generation does not give a flying **** about anything other than mp3 quality streaming? Sorry to rant, but damn. :mad:

You're correct, Floyd's core fan base (baby boomers) are slowly (quicker then they think) dying off. Hell I'm over 60 now and 1 out of 3 of my boys actually listen to any of Floyd's music, the GenXers may buy some new releases, the millennials even less. I'd say every year of delay subtract 100k or more of potential sales. The first Sacd of Dark Side sold over 1 Million since it's 2003 release, we'll see how many sell of the booklet redo I'm saying 25k only (and I'm being generous). The Animals release may sell 500k because we haven't had it available to us at any time. But every year of delay hurts their loyal fans more than their bank accounts. David Gilmours guitar auction made over 21 million and he gave it all to charity. They need to know that without the loyal fan base no money for anything, charities or bank accounts. The indecision or squabbling is frustrating for the providers of their paycheck's (loyal fans). They don't owe us anything, someone will profit somewhat eventually on a unofficial Animals release (this will leak and be produced). Maybe not even release it at all, just quit jerking the fans around.🖕

everything Floyd should be in surround, this is a no brainer.
they're rich enough not to care of course, but since they were using quad in 1967 live performance it should have been a priority since then but nooooooo
they're almost poster children for the format...
Starting in '67 as you said and their entire live career save maybe a handful of stereo-only festivals. They are THE poster children for the format. DSOTM is more responsible for putting the first surround systems in homes than anything else.

Funnily enough though, even on the big PF forum there's a lot of apparent indifference to surround. It seems like not even all their fans are aware of this!

Back