Pink Floyd/The Division Bell - Ask Andy Jackson about the Mastering and the Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing that occurs to me, that maybe nobody is quite appreciating, is that Div Bell was a "start again' mix, in which I severely disregarded the existing stereo mix, except for essential balance relationships, as I don't like the stereo mix. If that new mix had been stereo, it still would've been 'radically different'.

All the other albums (on a island, endless river and the new DG) are working from the stereo mix (as they were done at the same time), as is the brief, so they essentially sound like the stereos, except in surround. Maybe what everyone really likes about Div Bell is the less screwed up mix

Not that I said that of course

That is interesting for sure. There is another music forum where everyone on there thinks it is sacrilegious to deviate a bit from the origional mix. Nice to see a professional admit the origional isn't always perfect and can be improved on. I have always thaught there may be possible limitations of some sort with origional mixes whether that be mono, stereo or multichannel. So many factors make it possible that something could go awry.

PS Please talk Dave into letting you have a go at Animals assuming the multi tracks are around:)

One thing that occurs to me, that maybe nobody is quite appreciating, is that Div Bell was a "start again' mix, in which I severely disregarded the existing stereo mix, except for essential balance relationships, as I don't like the stereo mix. If that new mix had been stereo, it still would've been 'radically different'.

All the other albums (on a island, endless river and the new DG) are working from the stereo mix (as they were done at the same time), as is the brief, so they essentially sound like the stereos, except in surround. Maybe what everyone really likes about Div Bell is the less screwed up mix

Not that I said that of course

You would have probably had to do a lot of work anyway when it came to matching the original stereo mix since it was done 10 years before the surround (right?) from analog tape. I knew when I listened to the surround the first time that it wasn't a very close match from stereo to surround, but it still didn't feel that radically different from "The Division Bell" I always knew and loved. Now it's just immersing me in a way that only surround sound mixing can provide, and thanks for that! :)

I could have matched (more or less) the stereo, just didn't want to. FWIW the surround was also mixed from the analogue tapes.

I could have matched (more or less) the stereo, just didn't want to. FWIW the surround was also mixed from the analogue tapes.

I always hope for aggressive surround mixes...I know bands usually resist this approach...but you have the stereo version for those that just want the status quo...just making the stereo sound "expanded" doesn't really make it a surround mix for ME...and BTW...the Pink Floyd Store(both US and UK)had more of the DVD-5.1 Division Bell discs for sale again:)...and sourcing from the analogue tapes makes me VERY HAPPY...keep up the great work Andy and thanks for taking the time to stop by here...it's a rare opportunity for us to be able to chat with someone in your position:worthy

I always hope for aggressive surround mixes...I know bands usually resist this approach...but you have the stereo version for those that just want the status quo...just making the stereo sound "expanded" doesn't really make it a surround mix for ME...and BTW...the Pink Floyd Store(both US and UK)had more of the DVD-5.1 Division Bell discs for sale again:)...and sourcing from the analogue tapes makes me VERY HAPPY...keep up the great work Andy and thanks for taking the time to stop by here...it's a rare opportunity for us to be able to chat with someone in your position:worthy

In this day and age, there is plenty of room on bluray media to have more than one mix to please everyone. I prefer the agressive mix 95% of the time. Imagine a version of Animals with an AJ quad mix, a SW 5.1, and a JG 5.1 to please everyone. I say don't even bother with a stereo mix, have that as a download code and use the origional analog with a touch of remaster, 24/192 of course:)

In this day and age, there is plenty of room on bluray media to have more than one mix to please everyone. I prefer the agressive mix 95% of the time. Imagine a version of Animals with an AJ quad mix, a SW 5.1, and a JG 5.1 to please everyone. I say don't even bother with a stereo mix, have that as a download code and use the origional analog with a touch of remaster, 24/192 of course:)

I agree...except for the 192...it's overkill...

Hello Andy,

With Rattle that Lock mixes finished you must be enjoying a well deserved summer holidays!
Will you be anyhow involved in the tour?
Apart from your solo album, any other stuff to keep you busy until the end of the year?
Thanks!

Hello Andy,

With Rattle that Lock mixes finished you must be enjoying a well deserved summer holidays!
Will you be anyhow involved in the tour?
Apart from your solo album, any other stuff to keep you busy until the end of the year?
Thanks!

You think it's finished!! There's always bits & pieces that go after the album, disc 2 stuff (videos etc)

But yes, almost. Doing a bit of mastering but trying to focus as much as possible on my album, got a couple of exciting guests lined up

Hi Andy, I guess things are much quieter now after completing Gilmour's mixes, aren't they?
I was wondering if you are finally involved in the tour. If so, do you know if any quad will be used? I bet it won't, but one can only dream.
Anyway, will you pass by the RAH shows?
Cheers,
César

No I'm not on the tour, it's Colin, same as last time. No quads, although I believe it'll be arenas in the States, so it'd be possible for that (although that's just speculation on my part)

No I'm not on the tour, it's Colin, same as last time. No quads, although I believe it'll be arenas in the States, so it'd be possible for that (although that's just speculation on my part)

My understanding is that both "Gilmour" and "Waters" present all their concerts in Quad and advertise as such.Has this practice now ceased?

My understanding is that both "Gilmour" and "Waters" present all their concerts in Quad and advertise as such.Has this practice now ceased?

No, no, OAI tour was not in quad for example (neither was About Face tour AFAIK). Quad is more of a Roger's affair

No, no, OAI tour was not in quad for example (neither was About Face tour AFAIK). Quad is more of a Roger's affair

I scored 12th row center tickets for The Wall in the Air Canada Centre, Toronto though the Waters' lottery system. We went early to try to trade our tickets to a scalper for seats farther back, to be in the center of the floor where we could better experience the quad sound, as I had experienced it at the original Wall concert in NYC. Believe it or not, the senior scalper looked at my tickets and talked me out of trading down, exclaiming that these were excellent seats and we should keep them!

When we were in our seats, I scanned the arena and could not see any surround speakers, then went to the mixer to enquire where they were. He pointed out that there were some extra speakers in the flown platform dead center - where the projectors and lights were mounted and that was it. Therefore, we were in the perfect spot between the mains and the center speakers. There was rarely any noticible action from those speakers. The helicopter sound, for example, and nothing as dramatic or satisfying as the original concerts' surround work. The main system sounded great, however, and our seats were perfect for taking in the whole spectacle and still observing the individual players. Being right on the center isle, my wife, who is short, could see perfectly and was properly blown away by the experience. Thank you Mr Scalper!

PS. When the tour returned to Toronto outdoors at the Skydome/Rogers Centre, we bought cheaper tickets and enjoyed the distant experience of the sound and spectacle but I did not notice any surround sound.

I scored 12th row center tickets for The Wall in the Air Canada Centre, Toronto though the Waters' lottery system. We went early to try to trade our tickets to a scalper for seats farther back, to be in the center of the floor where we could better experience the quad sound, as I had experienced it at the original Wall concert in NYC. Believe it or not, the senior scalper looked at my tickets and talked me out of trading down, exclaiming that these were excellent seats and we should keep them!

When we were in our seats, I scanned the arena and could not see any surround speakers, then went to the mixer to enquire where they were. He pointed out that there were some extra speakers in the flown platform dead center - where the projectors and lights were mounted and that was it. Therefore, we were in the perfect spot between the mains and the center speakers. There was rarely any noticible action from those speakers. The helicopter sound, for example, and nothing as dramatic or satisfying as the original concerts' surround work. The main system sounded great, however, and our seats were perfect for taking in the whole spectacle and still observing the individual players. Being right on the center isle, my wife, who is short, could see perfectly and was properly blown away by the experience. Thank you Mr Scalper!

PS. When the tour returned to Toronto outdoors at the Skydome/Rogers Centre, we bought cheaper tickets and enjoyed the distant experience of the sound and spectacle but I did not notice any surround sound.

Strange, both Madrid and Barcelona concerts had a massive surround setup. Dark Side of the Moon tour in Le Mans and Barcelona had it too. On The Run had newer SFx that were amazing in surround, for example

We attended Roger's Dark Side tour in Toronto and there was surround use there.

The Momentary and Division Bell PF tours had some substantial surround speaker presence too.

Back