Pink Floyd/The Division Bell - Ask Andy Jackson about the Mastering and the Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andy. Did Nick end up playing drums on any songs in the new Gilmour album?

He does not appear in the credits, drums are mainly shared by Steve Di Stanislao and Andy Newmark. I was hoping to read Nick somewhere after what David said, strange

Hello Andy. First of all congrats for Rattle That Lock 5.1 mix, one of the best mixes of the year in my humble opinion. Stereo mixes of the Barn Jams are amazing as well, for a moment I had to check the sound setup in my Oppo as I felt the guitar was coming from the right rear!
One question about the Jams, if I may: In #4 you're there with Phil Manzanera and I got the feeling that you were actually recording something with a purpose, not simple jams. The fact that Phil was there intrigues me too, and also that David was asking Rick for more takes.

Thanks

César

Barn Jams were pretty much just that, jams. Sometimes there was a pre-existing idea that was jammed over (such as Island jam). Some of the more 'structured' ones got the odd overdub, for instance no. 4 in this set has the slide guitar as an overdub. Phil was there cataloging everything, as is his wont!

I did actually mix the Barn Jams in surround, albeit that it'd not be that spectacular, just a 'stretch out' (horseshoe shaped stereo if you like). Not enough room to fit the extra audio data on the DVD version though, and the powers that be weren't willing to have the BD & the DVD different. You haven't missed much TBH

Ron: as you can see, no Nick. Basically it was all Stevie except for some later bits, where Andy did it, as flying Stevie over for one day is a bit excessive! We ended up with "Dancing right in front of me" being a montage of the two of them, you can work it out if you think about it, the pitch on the snare drum is really different. The exception is "Girl in a yellow dress" which is Martin France, this was actually recorded 10 years ago during the On an Island sessions.

Thanks, Andy. The album is wonderful and the mix up to your usual standards. I want to listen to it a few more times before posting my thoughts in more detail. My girlfriend hears shades of Leonard Cohen in Faces of Stone.

Andy, a really nice surround mix on "Rattle That Lock" fits the music nicely. Apart from a (Tawny Owl?) hooting in the background on the Right Rear at the end of "And Then...", I know I'm being way too nerdy :yikes, but, is the crackling at the end a burning fire outside (sounds like it) or a sound effect?

Andy, a really nice surround mix on "Rattle That Lock" fits the music nicely. Apart from a (Tawny Owl?) hooting in the background on the Right Rear at the end of "And Then...", I know I'm being way too nerdy :yikes, but, is the crackling at the end a burning fire outside (sounds like it) or a sound effect?

Yes the fire is a real fire that DG recorded, he went to great lengths to get just the right amount of dry wood & wet wood to get it crackling. Doesn't really work too well on the vinyl TBH!

Yes the fire is a real fire that DG recorded, he went to great lengths to get just the right amount of dry wood & wet wood to get it crackling. Doesn't really work too well on the vinyl TBH!

Works well in surround though! :smokin ..............I'll go and put on my nerd anorak now.....................

Had to get creative to get it up to surround. IIRC I used a comb filter, usually a mono > fake stereo thing but in this case stereo > fake quad

Had to get creative to get it up to surround. IIRC I used a comb filter, usually a mono > fake stereo thing but in this case stereo > fake quad

It worked!

The owl hoot in the right rear really got me, I get Tawny owls in my garden, and it was the middle of a sunny day when I listened to the album, I heard the owl, got up and looked out of the window wondering where it was then I had that 1333139688_homer_doh.png moment and replayed "And Then...."

Why doesn't someone start a new thread for Andy's upcoming release 73 Days At Sea so it doesn't get lost in the Division Bell discussion. Let's draw some attention to it!

Brilliant idea, Clint! :)

NOTE: I moved all posts about Andy Jackson's upcoming album "73 Days at Sea" to the thread started by "Clint Eastwood" located here

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...s-At-Sea-quot-in-5-1-released-29-January-2016

Let's give Andy his due and keep all discussions on the new album in that thread until the poll is posted after the album is released!

Thanks

Yes that's right (although not entirely my doing, I just supervised the vinyl cut). It's been released because of the 50 year rule, anything un-released after 50 years becomes public domain. You haven't missed much!!

Yes that's right (although not entirely my doing, I just supervised the vinyl cut). It's been released because of the 50 year rule, anything un-released after 50 years becomes public domain. You haven't missed much!!

One more question: How's the quality of the recording?

Thanks a lot Andy!!

Back