Pink Floyd/The Division Bell - Ask Andy Jackson about the Mastering and the Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much 'of the time'. Just sounds like an old R'n'B record, which is of course what they were doing at the time.

Maybe I shouldn't be asking this, so feel free not to answer: Is it a one shot release or is it part of a bigger surprise? I can even delete my post if it puts you in a complicate situation.

Thank you very much!

Ok, I haven't said anything if anyone asks. This particular release is just what I said. However, the contract with EMI is now expiring, so they get the rights to all their recordings back. On that basis, there will be a 'filling in of the gaps' of some of the earlier stuff. Really can't go into details except to say that I'm just starting on this, doing some restoration. Look forward (if you like this sort of thing) to late 2016.

I'll be looking forward to it, indeed! Thanks Andy
(And now back to searching mode to try and grab one copy of the 7". One of the few moments when I regret living in Madrid and not in the UK! Not many independent stores here with a good catalog)

Wall? Who said The Wall? ;-)
This is going nuts, don't know what is weirder: The 7" being sold for 400€ or the fact that it did not leak on the internet yet.

This is going nuts, don't know what is weirder: The 7" being sold for 400€ or the fact that it did not leak on the internet yet.

..................or several species of furry animal gathered together in a cave and grooving with a Pict? :mad:@:

Andy, hats off to 77 days at sea, what a brilliant record and mix. I was just praising Wise after the Event in another thread and this reminded me that I didn't find the time yet to write a single line for your record. Congratulations!
(BTW, still hoping for even a download option for your first records!)

Hi Andy. I realize that you weren't directly involved with the new Pink Floyd LPs that are being released but I was still hoping that you had enough insight to Jame's process to answer a question. Do you know if these LPs were sourced from the analogue masters or high resolution 24bit transfers from these analogue tapes? Also, what is your opinion of digital "clones" of analogue masters specifically created by Guthrie? Is there a discernible sonic difference between them or is the difference more subtle in nature? Thanks in advance for your time.

I hope everything is going fine, Andy, missing you over here at QQ!
Hope as well we did not get you into any trouble for our questions and, if so, I do apologise.

Hi Andy, it's been more than one year since your last time in the forum. I do hope you're still reading us after the Meddlegate.
I just wanted to say thanks for the wonderful mix of David's Live at Pompeii. It's quite different from your previous live mixes (say Remember That Night or Gdansk) but pretty similar to your interpretation of Floyd's at Pompeii in the Early Years boxset.
I like a lot the immersive nature of this new mix: how you've extended the sound scape to the back surround speakers and the discreet elements that appear from time to time. Chester Kamen's guitar full on our right is amazing (although a bit distracting sometimes) and a surprise to me how good a player he is.
Also, being familiar with your previous mixes, the usage of the center speaker anchoring David's voice and guitar was also a pleasant surprise.
And mastering is superb too, what leaves me wondering what happened to the original Pompeii in the big box.

I do hope David is keeping you busy with whatever new project is on the works, whether it is a new record or a 5.1 mix of A Momentary Lapse of Reason (one can only hope, you know). And what about a new record on your own?

Thanks and looking forward to seeing you back at QQ!

[BIMP]

This thread deserves a bump. I wonder how Andy's doing, and what's he working on. Folks who missed his 2 surround solo albums should seek them out. They are well worth it, they're surround, they have great mixes but seem to be sadly forgotten around here and there.

[BIMP]

This thread deserves a bump. I wonder how Andy's doing, and what's he working on. Folks who missed his 2 surround solo albums should seek them out. They are well worth it, they're surround, they have great mixes but seem to be sadly forgotten around here and there.

Having recently gotten the Sony 4K player than can handle DVD-A, I've been going back through my DVDs to hear what actually has the DVD-A layer and listened to Andy's first one a few weeks ago - it's awesome. It would be great if he was available to churn out surround mixes of other artists at the rate Steven Wilson does.

I wonder how Andy's doing, and what's he working on. Folks who missed his 2 surround solo albums should seek them out. They are well worth it, they're surround, they have great mixes but seem to be sadly forgotten around here and there.

Have not heard The Division Bell or either of his solo albums, but he did a hell of job on David Gilmour's Rattle That Lock. The surround mix elevates that album to new heights.

His Meddle is pretty amazing too...

[BIMP]

His two solo albums are awesome......highly recommended!!!!!

Back