Pioneer QX-949A, or Frankenstein?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCuff

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Hello all,
I'm looking at a QX949A in a local listing. Pictures look good. All lights work and are bright. Scope appears to work. Seller states all four channels work but can't test quad functions. However, on the back where it would normally say 949A it says 747. The unit does have all the RCA plugs that would represent a 949 (35 vs 25). So it is not like they put a front of a 949A on a 747 (if that were even possible).

Is the back plate more than one piece, i.e. is the power supply from a 747 but the rest is a 949A? Or, is the identiplate with the S/N something that just screws on and would this be a factory mistake (or perhaps something more devious done in the distant past to change the S/N)? The seller will email me a shot of the inside later today. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Here are pics of the back...
949747a.jpeg
949747.jpeg

After looking at the service manual, I'm pretty sure the model nameplate (identiplate) just screws on. Question now is why is it misidentified!

Hi Linda! Yes, it always seems to be referred to as a "scope" but I understand it really is not. Looks cool however not as cool as the Marantz 4400. I know my QRX999 is the better unit for quad, but I love the look of the QX949, and this one when powered on looks pretty minty on the outside. I would probably buy it at the sellers asking price if not for the nameplate issue.

Since you sold a bunch, did you ever encounter one with the wrong nameplate? Here is the front of the unit for sale.
949afront.jpeg

Last edited:
Never encountered incorrect name plate on any Pioneer gear. We usually would not open the box when selling a new unit.

We didn't ever look at/for that tag on boxed units we sold, unless they were brought in for service.

Possible scenarios:
1-unit was in for service and tags got switched unintentionally
2- someone bought a demo in a store and intentionally switched tags to save $$$
3- tag was lost or destroyed and it was replaced with only available tag
4- as you stated, is this FrankenQuad?

Last edited:
Thanks Linda, concur those are pretty much the most logical reasons. I was actually thinking FrankenQuad but somehow when I typed it up I forgot to change it!

Soundfield, disappointing to read the "scope" is not serviceable, although I recall hearing that before. I believe it is working now at least.

Thanks again. Although I had previously compared the total number of RCA connections I honestly had not looked at what the extra 10 were for on the 949. Since 8 are due to the extra tape loop the other 2 must be for the 2nd phono input.

Regardless, I never disregard confirmation from an expert.

Reactions: GOS
And, to chime in, the 949's had more speaker selection buttons on the black dial face plus a few others, like shown in the photo you posted. And also had the LOW and HIGH filter buttons between the tone control knobs, also as shown in the photo. Now, the one thing that throws me off is the case. I t-h-o-u-g-h-t the models that ended with "A" (747A, 949A) all had metal ventilation grating right to the top rear (as shown in the picture I attached), and that the non-"A" models had wood completely framing in the ventilation grate. The unit pictured for sale appears to have the grate completely framed in. I could be wrong, or maybe there was some inventory carry-over when they rolled out the "A" models.

pioneer-qx949a.jpg

I own a QX-949A, but it's been dead for probably ten years, is packed away. I've been considering attempting a re-cap and transistor replacement, to see if I can at least get it working in stereo again.

I have some pix of the inside. Certainly not a 747. Looks pretty clean as far as that goes.
949ainside.jpeg
949ain.jpeg

Back