• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Planets - Tomita - Ultimate Edition - SACD multichannel from Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't want to threadjack a sale thread, but it's already sold, so no harm I suppose. I'm going to pick up the organ version of The Planets I suspect.

Another great one is a studio filmed recording with the Philharmonia on blu-ray, featuring 24/96 5.1 audio. Folks tend to miss it because it's not audio-only, but the audio is the equal to any other recording imo.

71OGNX6wniL._SL500_.jpg

I wouldn't want to threadjack a sale thread, but it's already sold, so no harm I suppose. I'm going to pick up the organ version of The Planets I suspect.

Another great one is a studio filmed recording with the Philharmonia on blu-ray, featuring 24/96 5.1 audio. Folks tend to miss it because it's not audio-only, but the audio is the equal to any other recording imo.

71OGNX6wniL._SL500_.jpg
Discrete?

Discrete?

I have that version and it IS excellent, ubertrout, but Albrecht's organ version of The Planets will blow your shoes AND socks OFF! Not to denigrate Tomita's ultra discrete version, but compared to THIS it sounds QUAINT!

And Mike....I don't recall that BD~V version of The Planets to be discrete....mainly ambience!

Mike, you should compose your own version of The Planets. Hope you're not too lonely over there. Heard it gets really COLD there at night.

Last edited:
Just ordered the Tomita - Planets SACD from Amazon, looking forward to hearing it tomorrow. :phones

After seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey 50th Anniversary at the cinema this weekend I'm all geared up for some out of this world surround music. :alien:

Mr. Smithers, the second time I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm and Quadraphonic Sound in Manhattan on a HUGE SCREEN with a MAGNIFICENT sound system, I sat there silent at the end .... and literally CRIED! Birth....Death .....INFINITY!

Mr. Smithers, if you don't already have this brilliant disc, BUY IT: http://aminbhatia.com/is25mayday/

Last edited:
Mr. Smithers, the second time I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm and Quadraphonic Sound in Manhattan on a HUGE SCREEN with a MAGNIFICENT sound system, I sat there silent at the end .... and literally CRIED! Birth....Death .....INFINITY!

It was awesome! And one of the cooler things about seeing it at the flicks was it had an intermission in the middle! Could grab a quick beer and stretch my legs... HAL 9000 - a scary look into the future! :mad:

And yep on the list cheers Ralph, just love all things space man!

I have that version and it IS excellent, ubertrout, but Albrecht's organ version of The Planets will blow your shoes AND socks OFF! Not to denigrate Tomita's ultra discrete version, but compared to THIS it sounds QUAINT!

And Mike....I don't recall that BD~V version of The Planets to be discrete....mainly ambience!

Mike, you should compose your own version of The Planets. Hope you're not too lonely over there. Heard it gets really COLD there at night.

Okay, sounds like I will pick up the Albrecht.

Back