DTS-CD Playing DTS disc with Samsung DVD-HD841 - no sound!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChopperCharles

I have an HD841 connected via analog cables to my Pioneer QX4000 4-channel input.

I have the Queen: A Night At The Opera, the second disc is a DVD with 5.1 audio... in DTS format. I have DTS set to "on" in the settings, yet I get no audio from the main program -- however, the title screen loads with 4-channel sound just fine.

What's up? I've noticed the DTS track on the Jethro Tull Thick As A Brick doesn't play either.

Neither of the two 841s I have play DTS tracks out of the analog outputs.

Thoughts?

Charles.

Hi Charles, looking at the user manual, I guess you have to set DTS to off. Setting it to On will force the player to Bistream over digital connection, which you do not have connected.

Leaving it to off will probably force the player to decode the DTS stream and output via analog.

My Sammy does the same thing. It can only bitstream DTS; it can't decode it, so you can't use analog line outs. Works fine w/ dvd-a and sacd- those are decoded in the player, but I guess they saved a few bucks and scimped on the DTS decoder.

Quick question: Have either of you gone into your machine's menu to find the DTS setting? Sometimes OFF is the default, so you go into the menu and turn it on.

Another: Do your amps have a coaxial or digital output? If so, connect them and then set accordingly, since many amps offer analog/digital options for most inputs these days. What options newer players have I'm not sure beyond you can connect just about anything except a turntable (sigh).

ED :)

These Samsungs does not have a built-in DTS decoder so you can not listen to the DTS via the analog outputs, only optical or coaxial.

well, then time for a new player. Anybody know one with a nice aluminum face plate that plays SACD, DVD-A, DTS DVDs, and mp3s, has 5.1 output, can set speaker settings in the setup menu (large/small/center/sub), and won't break the bank? Sub-$150?

Charles.

As I said, no digital connection. I'm using the analog outputs and connecting to an amp made in 1977.

Charles.

1977? There's your answer right there, pre-DTS.

Regardless, you need two decks to play back DTS: a CD/DVD player (or better, something with DVD-A or SACD capability) with a digital output, and an amp/receiver/setup that can convert the signal (which most modern amps do, AFAIK), which you can input pretty much anywhere, depending upon the amp.

ED :)

No, I need a DVD player with SACD and DVD-A support, which has 5.1 analog output and an onboard DTS decoder. Then the analog plugs right into my 4-channel quadraphonic receiver. All I have to do is disable the sub and the center channel in the DVD player, and it will mix them back into the front speakers.

Right now with the DVD-HD841, I get 5.1 from SACD and DVD-A just fine, it's only DTS this player has a problem with. Right now I'm looking at a Pioneer DV610AV-S. I can't tell, but it appears to have an aluminum look to the faceplate, and it comes in right at $150. AND it has onboard DTS decoding (downloaded the manual).

Charles.

Charles.

Right, but the only Oppo players I see are in the $1200-$1500 range, and while there are a few used players on eBay that meet that criteria, I have no idea if they meet the other requirements -- DVDA, SACD, DTS, and mp3. I was not saying I don't know what Oppo is, I was asking for a specific model number that routinely sells used for under $150, and has all of the options I want. Most of the Oppo stuff I see sells for a small fortune, even used.

That being said, the Pioneer looks good, and the rest of my system is Pioneer, so I'm thinking of going with that.

Charles.

Hi Charles, I should have been more specific. Here is an overview with discontinued Oppo models, including dvd/a. Sacd players, 978-3-931103-14-9 I have no idea for hw much they go for second hand.

On the other hand, when that Pioneer is meeting your requirements, go for that one. Especially when your other equipment is Pio too. Would make a nice match I assume.

Right, but the only Oppo players I see are in the $1200-$1500 range, and while there are a few used players on eBay that meet that criteria, I have no idea if they meet the other requirements -- DVDA, SACD, DTS, and mp3. I was not saying I don't know what Oppo is, I was asking for a specific model number that routinely sells used for under $150, and has all of the options I want. Most of the Oppo stuff I see sells for a small fortune, even used.

That being said, the Pioneer looks good, and the rest of my system is Pioneer, so I'm thinking of going with that.

Charles.

Oppo sells the 103 for $499.00. www.oppodigital.com

AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, how about no? $500? Not going to happen.

This stereo is all of my father's old equipment. Pioneer QX4000, Pioneer RT-707 reel-to-reel, and four baby advents. (Plus a 4-channel switchbox made out of hunk of aluminum, that I built myself) I don't need a player that ridiculously expensive, I just want a SACD/DVD-A/DVD-DTS player that matches the aluminum motif. $500 for a glorified CD player would make all the other components feel bad about themselves.

Charles.

AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, how about no? $500? Not going to happen.

This stereo is all of my father's old equipment. Pioneer QX4000, Pioneer RT-707 reel-to-reel, and four baby advents. (Plus a 4-channel switchbox made out of hunk of aluminum, that I built myself) I don't need a player that ridiculously expensive, I just want a SACD/DVD-A/DVD-DTS player that matches the aluminum motif. $500 for a glorified CD player would make all the other components feel bad about themselves.

Charles.

how about a Pioneer DV-600AV, Charles?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000YKGZ3W

its aluminium, it's approx $100 new (I'm sure you could find one used for half that on eBay etc) and it plays anything (non-BD) you throw at it (DVD-A, SA-CD: DSD & DTS CD). I've had mine for over 5 years & still going strong.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Pioneer-DV-600AV-DVD-Player_Surround-Sound-System_review

how about a Pioneer DV-600AV, Charles?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000YKGZ3W

its aluminium, it's approx $100 new (I'm sure you could find one used for half that on eBay etc) and it plays anything (non-BD) you throw at it (DVD-A, SA-CD: DSD & DTS CD). I've had mine for over 5 years & still going strong.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Pioneer-DV-600AV-DVD-Player_Surround-Sound-System_review

oh and it has all the essential 6-channel analog out's for all Quad receiver guys (as well as HDMI) :)

Back