plextor sacd drive ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy77

I was arguing with a friend about computer disc drives reading sacd disc's.
He insisted he found a drive that could read them and sent me a link to a web site selling this drive I cross referenced with the manufactures web site and sure enough it also lists sacd as a readable disc format. Has any one ever come across this and if so what can you do with it I will leave the link so you guys can check it out your selves .

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/pdfs/230ADS.pdf

Thats what I thought but its the first time I've ever seen a reference to sacd when it comes to a computer drive. Just the same you are probably right. I am going to try to find out more, will post if i find anything.

For sure it does invlve *only* the CD layer of a sacd: it is a CD drive, not a DVD one.
Technically speaking, the SACD layer is a DVD layer with a specific formatting and filesystem. No way to read a SACD layer on any cd drive. A DVD drive might do it... but even if you do, the DSD stream can't be worked out in any way on a personal computer, there are no tools on the consumer market.

Sony have made it clear again and again there are not now and nor will there ever be a computer drive that is qualified for DSD/SACD.
It would be an open door to breaking the copy protection, as it would then be a matter of time before the software players were hacked to decode the DSD streams back to PCM again.

If an SACD could be "read" by a DVD-ROM drive, then ripping the content would be simplicity itself. All you do is load it up in DiscWelder Chrome & convert it. As it's not that simple, an SACD disc is obviously not just a straight DSD stream any more than a DVD-A is a straight MLP/PCM stream either.

Alright guys When I posted this I did not research at all, I just looked at the fowarded post that was sent to me by my friend.Anyway after one gooogle search of "plextor sacd drive" the first hit was a page on plextors web site giving its disclaimer about sacd bieng included in the discription. You all know what it says but here is the link anyway.

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/G00052.htm

I knew it was to good to be true but a guy can hope can't he.

Back