Poco SACD won't load!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can tell you the cost. It’s called out of warranty repair. $99 covers labor, parts and shipping back to me. I also have to pay shipping to them. Easily worth it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the bright side though , they might do some additional service work pro bono.

Reactions: GOS
I can tell you the cost. It’s called out of warranty repair. $99 covers labor, parts and shipping back to me. I also have to pay shipping to them. Easily worth it for me.

This day in age, $99 to repair a unit as complex as the Oppo is almost free...and it includes return shipping no less. I just wish they could define a minimum time frame for which they will supply parts and repair these units.

On the bright side though , they might do some additional service work pro bono.

Yep, I’m sure they will check any critical parts that may show wear.

At least this happened at a time when Oppo is still servicing their units (trying to look at the bright side ;) )

Ya know...I was thinking the same thing...only just a bit more optimistic than you...for basically $150 you have a new laser...that's got to prolong the life of the unit...just like my repair on the Denon when I was "almost" five years in...that was 4 years ago and it's still going strong...maybe I should fake the same problem and see if they would replace mine:whistle:

This day in age, $99 to repair a unit as complex as the Oppo is almost free...and it includes return shipping no less. I just wish they could define a minimum time frame for which they will supply parts and repair these units.

In my area...to have a repairman come to your residence for a repair of an appliance....they charge a flat fee of at least that much to show up...no parts or labor...as far as the time limit for parts...I remember when Pioneer left the Plasma market...everybody was worried about getting parts and it was never a problem...Oppo isn't going bankrupt...just changing markets...but no business is going to give you guarantees like you mentioned...

I'm pretty impressed that we've all resisted the urge to joke about Gene's machine's busted load. We can all be so proud. (y)

Well....the time for ridicule has passed...I mean...what about those selfies:eek:...if ever there was a man who was confident about his image...it's G...those type of things don't bother him...he would just give you a LMAO and go about his business:cool:

Oh crap. By the time I think I can afford a newer OPPO the used prices go to the friggin' moon. I really want 4K capability and a newer unit than my BDP-80, although since I cleaned the laser it works great.
May have to go for the Sony.

Someone here mentioned the 103 has separate laser for Blu-ray vs other formats...I only saw 1 laser lens.

Oh crap. By the time I think I can afford a newer OPPO the used prices go to the friggin' moon. I really want 4K capability and a newer unit than my BDP-80, although since I cleaned the laser it works great.
May have to go for the Sony.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here, and I may get some flames for this... but I just don't see the high Oppo pricing going on indefinitely. I think its a lot of knee jerk reaction to a favored brand that is going away. The Oppos were great machines over the years and the customer service was second to none. I agree completely. But I think this will all die down in less than a year.

But going forward consider...

... purchasing a new Oppo from anyone except Oppo or an official Oppo distributor does not provide a warranty. And as those "new" products age, any warranty you do get ages with them
... Oppo has no obligation at all to continue servicing Oppo products beyond the warranty period. Most companies will do it for a year or two... then disappear. Even good companies. Its just not profitable.
... Oppo has no obligation at all to provide out of warranty repairs for a unit that was purchased on the used market, let alone do it for a $99 flat fee. That pricing is for original owners. It too will disappear soon.
... in two years from now when all the product warranties expire, Oppo will have no need to maintain a service facility. Their attention and their manpower will either be gone or re-directed.
... The real problem will eventually become getting replacement parts because Oppo's suppliers wont restock them. Just like with other vintage gear.
... Don't count on any new firmware updates.

... if 4k video is your primary concern, you have lots of options to choose from for much less cost than the retail cost of a new Oppo.
... if your primary concern is SACD ripping... that ship has sailed for Oppo. Only used 103s and 203s fit the bill. You are better off buying a new Pioneer for that purpose IMHO.
... if your primary concern is playing DVD-A, the choices are few... but that Sony still works for you. For the cost involved you are probably better off stockpiling several of the Sony units.

If its MC analog output you need, you are pretty much screwed. I know of no other player with MC analog out. Time to start looking for a digital front end. You should have seen this coming.
If its a decent MC DAC you need, you can get them for more money. The Oppo was unique in that they included a MC DAC at a price point that cant even be approached by a stand alone unit.

I am so glad I don't play physical music disks anymore.

Someone here mentioned the 103 has separate laser for Blu-ray vs other formats...I only saw 1 laser lens.

I think they all have separate laser colors for different formats. I think they all use the same lens. Its the color that comes out that is dependent on format.

Double check that GOS...they told Snood 99 for repair on one of my 980s...dim console not a setting...but when I went to input for repair it came back only 52 dollars. I messaged them back and they were like yep 52 is correct for all you stated ...postage to is on me :dance

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here, and I may get some flames for this... but I just don't see the high Oppo pricing going on indefinitely. I think its a lot of knee jerk reaction to a favored brand that is going away. The Oppos were great machines over the years and the customer service was second to none. I agree completely. But I think this will all die down in less than a year.

But going forward consider...

... purchasing a new Oppo from anyone except Oppo or an official Oppo distributor does not provide a warranty. And as those "new" products age, any warranty you do get ages with them
... Oppo has no obligation at all to continue servicing Oppo products beyond the warranty period. Most companies will do it for a year or two... then disappear. Even good companies. Its just not profitable.
... Oppo has no obligation at all to provide out of warranty repairs for a unit that was purchased on the used market, let alone do it for a $99 flat fee. That pricing is for original owners. It too will disappear soon.
... in two years from now when all the product warranties expire, Oppo will have no need to maintain a service facility. Their attention and their manpower will either be gone or re-directed.
... The real problem will eventually become getting replacement parts because Oppo's suppliers wont restock them. Just like with other vintage gear.
... Don't count on any new firmware updates.

... if 4k video is your primary concern, you have lots of options to choose from for much less cost than the retail cost of a new Oppo.
... if your primary concern is SACD ripping... that ship has sailed for Oppo. Only used 103s and 203s fit the bill. You are better off buying a new Pioneer for that purpose IMHO.
... if your primary concern is playing DVD-A, the choices are few... but that Sony still works for you. For the cost involved you are probably better off stockpiling several of the Sony units.

If its MC analog output you need, you are pretty much screwed. I know of no other player with MC analog out. Time to start looking for a digital front end. You should have seen this coming.
If its a decent MC DAC you need, you can get them for more money. The Oppo was unique in that they included a MC DAC at a price point that cant even be approached by a stand alone unit.

I am so glad I don't play physical music disks anymore.

I'm not going to flame you...but I do disagree with several points...Oppo is not like the old Sony gear...the parts aren't proprietary...a famous Sony trait....many other electronic devices use the same parts...so it won't require stocking separate parts for an Oppo...the whole warranty thing is just the "fear" factor...it's more marketing than protection...it's happening right now in the auto industry...VW now offers a 6 year 72,000 warranty...is it because their vehicles are just so much better than the competition?...the answer is no....they only offer it because of the diesel scandal...they need something to entice buyers back to the brand...so take Honda...they only offer a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty...does this mean VW is a better vehicle than Honda?....I would take the Honda and I think most would....so how important is the Sony warranty vs a non warranted Oppo?...I did some research on the X800 thread and was not surprised to see a lot of issues with the unit...for video it's a viable solution..when it works....but audio is a totally different story...very limited...so buying 2 800's with the same problems and limitations doesn't sound like a solution to me...and about Sony and warranties...they have a dubious track record..they seem to offer some firmware updates in the intial year of a model and then they just stop...and I had experience with Sony and warranty work...it's not worth the paper it was written on...

As far as the price of Oppo's….yes the price is high on new models right now...it's because there are very few of them available for sale...it's just supply and demand....the same as most other products...and the price won't just go down...they will be gone...the used one's will drop in price.....to me this situation is just like the Pioneer exit from Plasma...people grabbed the last available supply of new ones and then they were gone...and Pioneer had parts for those TVs...

So do you buy a new Sony with issues and limitations just because it has a warranty...or do you buy a used Oppo with no real warranty but a better machine with few limitations....I have a 4 year old 103D and a new 203...and I thought about another machine...I considered the 800...but in the end...a used Oppo is the better option for me....I'm heading to the storage era myself...but there will always be situations when I want the option of playing a physical disc..

So do you buy a new Sony with issues and limitations just because it has a warranty...or do you buy a used Oppo with no real warranty but a better machine with few limitations....I have a 4 year old 103D and a new 203...and I thought about another machine...I considered the 800...but in the end...a used Oppo is the better option for me....I'm heading to the storage era myself...but there will always be situations when I want the option of playing a physical disc..

I understand your points and the disagreements. Its a valid point about the parts,

I think it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you don't need a machine that can play dead and/or nearly dead formats, there are lots of options besides Oppo.

The only time I play a physical disk any more is for Video, and for CDs in the car. I don't think i've turned my Oppo on in 6 months. But Ive listened to more music in those 6 months than ever before

I'm pretty impressed that we've all resisted the urge to joke about Gene's machine's busted load. We can all be so proud. (y)

Perhaps Gene should save his shekels and 'pony' up for the OPPO CE [Clint Eastwood Edition] coming out in 2020. And they'll be hand assembled in Brooklyn, New York over Enzo's Pizza Parlor! https://orlandoinformer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Maria-Enzos-at-Disney-Springs-768x1024.jpg
And GOS 3.0 will be delighted to hear that Expedited Shipping is included....by what else....PONY EXPRESS!

Last edited:
I understand your points and the disagreements. Its a valid point about the parts,

I think it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you don't need a machine that can play dead and/or nearly dead formats, there are lots of options besides Oppo.

The only time I play a physical disk any more is for Video, and for CDs in the car. I don't think i've turned my Oppo on in 6 months. But Ive listened to more music in those 6 months than ever before

Well perhaps somebody on here that needs an Oppo should send you a PM and make you an offer if you don't need it anymore(y)

Perhaps Gene should save his shekels and 'pony' up for the OPPO CE [Clint Eastwood Edition] coming out in 2020. And they'll be hand assembled in Brooklyn, New York over Enzo's Pizza Parlor!

Just to give you an update...we can't use Enzo's....the owner is planning on renting it out for bar mitzvahs:oops:

Last edited:
Back