Porsche 911 Turbo S "Burmeister" 5.1 system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPR

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Anyone familiar with the above; my brother just got one, & SWEARS that it DOESN'T play DTS/5.1 discs
Kind of odd, for a 5.1 surround system;

Apparently, it's *Burmester. It is not a "5.1" system. More info here:

Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System

When two iconic German manufacturers join forces, the result is special. We’re referring to Porsche and Berlin-based Burmester®, one of the most respected manufacturers of high-end audio equipment worldwide. The Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System owes its eminence to countless details, and one goal: sound perfection.

This system boasts 12 amplifier channels with a total output of 821 watts, 12 loudspeakers including an active subwoofer with 300-watt class D amplifier, a total diaphragm surface area of more than 1,340 cm² and a frequency response of 35 Hz to 20 kHz.

The Burmester® system uses the patented integral subwoofer, which is perfectly integrated into the vehicle body. Crossover technology has been carried over more or less unmodified from the home audio sector. Analogue and digital filters have been optimally defined for their new installation location and finely tuned after extensive in-car audio testing.

The tweeters are ribbon-based air motion transformers (AMT) for an unmistakably fine, clear and undistorted high-frequency sound reproduction with excellent level stability. All speaker housings are perfectly matched and deliver superior bass sound, definition and precision. The result is a natural and richly textured spatial sound even at top volume.

These car companies use the word "surround" in a liberal fashion...it usually just means a lot of speakers....not channels...and you are "surrounded" by the music...one of the Bose systems had something like 32 speakers and wasn't even real surround...just 2 channel....

Always thought Surround meant just that; or in layman's terms 5.1
What's really strange, is that 4-5 years ago, my friend bought a Porsche Panamera, with the Burmeister system
At that time I tested Donald Fagen's/Night Fly in DVD/A, to compare it to the Acura ELS system;(Acura won)
Anyway, the new Acura ELS systems only play DTS discs/5.1, so I presumed the same holds true for Burmeister
Live & learn

Back