Pretzel Logic next for Steely Dan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavest

Walter Brecker is in the April Sound and Vision, in the article is a quote from Elliot Scheiner stating that," Their fourth surround effort, Pretzel Logic, is finished and it turned out great", but it awaits scheduling. Well...at least it's coming!

Read that yesterday...wow, what wonderful news all around! Like the Moodies, it may take time, but it would seem we're really gonna get this stuff, and that's something to look forward to. Let us pray....

ED

Ahhh.... part one of the Holy Grail (for us DanFans, anyway). Sure hope "Aja" is on the list...

Hope they find them - losing "Aja" would be a tragedy on the same par with the lost of the "Who's Next" multitracks... :(

John Kotches said:
The last I heard, there were a few tracks missing from the multi-channel masters for AJA

There are indeed two cuts with missing multitracks. DTS discovered this when they attempted to create a surround mix over a decade ago. That's why the less-desired Gaucho was released instead.

If they can't find 'em, I say go ahead and release what you got! (They can fill in the missing tracks with demo versions a la Police / Greatest.)

eggplant said:
If they can't find 'em, I say go ahead and release what you got! (They can fill in the missing tracks with demo versions a la Police / Greatest.)

Or like Roxy Music's "Avalon," where they lost the multis for one track and presented it in stereo. Fine by me! But I'm sure that Fagan's obsessive nature would never allow him to permit this... after all, he spent the liner notes to "Katy Lied" apologizing for the sound!

Clark

ClarkNovak said:
Or like Roxy Music's "Avalon," where they lost the multis for one track and presented it in stereo. Fine by me! But I'm sure that Fagan's obsessive nature would never allow him to permit this... after all, he spent the liner notes to "Katy Lied" apologizing for the sound!

Clark

I take it you haven't heard Avalon - it's anything but stereo! They panned the stereo all around the room!

ClarkNovak said:
Hope they find them - losing "Aja" would be a tragedy on the same par with the lost of the "Who's Next" multitracks... :(

Don't forget that bits (or all) of Something/Anything and Forever Changes are missing too. For shame!

BTW - one of the tracks on the forthcoming Simple Minds - New Gold Dream DVD-A was missing, so got carefully done as faux surround (ie by hand - no black boxes) by Ronald Prent. Our task is to devine which one, as I wasn't told!

No, I can't see the lads releasing AJA with faux 5.1 or demos for what's not available in multi-track....one way around this would be for them to assemble a compilation, and using the obvious multis they do have....otherwise, we may, sadly, be outta luck...

ED

They could always do a disc with HiRez stereo, then surround tracks of the songs they have the multis for, as "bonus tracks".

Very true, Jon, they could do that....not optimistic on this end, but ya never know....

Has anyone found out why a few multis are missing and the rest accounted for? Seems to me they would have been stored together...but then I remember the BAT OUT OF HELL situation, so apparently this is not always the case?

ED :)

I have all the SD hi-rez releases and anything else that gets released will join them on the day of release. This is great news. Good that ES is doing it as well. I love every surround mix he has done.

ClarkNovak said:
after all, he spent the liner notes to "Katy Lied" apologizing for the sound!
Clark

Ironic, considering KL sounds well-recorded despite the well-known DBX malfunction debacle. This led to recording the follow-up Royal Scam doing without noise reduction at all. In addition, the multitracks used for mixing were 2nd generation, dubbed from the originals to surmount yet another technical problem. This is why the Scam tracks (including "Here At the Western World") are uncharacteristically noisy. It was my favorite SD, but I listen only to a noise-reduced copy.

If they can use the (true) original multitracks, Royal Scam may benefit the most, sonically, from a remix. My guess: it will be the last SD release.

I foresee the following release order for the other albums:

Can't Buy a Thrill
Countdown to Ecstasy
Katy Lied
Royal Scam

P.S. Please note, it's F-a-g-e-n. The other spelling is from Oliver Twist. :)

Ed Bishop said:
Has anyone found out why a few multis are missing and the rest accounted for?

The two missing tracks were on the second master reel. At 30ips, only so many tracks will fit on the standard reel. Each reel has its own box, so they can and have been stored in separate places, including under beds (Tubular Bells) and car trunks (Led Zepellin IV).

Why this happens, I can't say. But I'll guess that in the post-quad era, nobody saw much use for multitrack masters, and they just became another bulky storage item, like old tax returns. Perhaps we should feel lucky that any have survived.

eggplant said:
The two missing tracks were on the second master reel. At 30ips, only so many tracks will fit on the standard reel. Each reel has its own box, so they can and have been stored in separate places, including under beds (Tubular Bells) and car trunks (Led Zepellin IV).

Why this happens, I can't say. But I'll guess that in the post-quad era, nobody saw much use for multitrack masters, and they just became another bulky storage item, like old tax returns. Perhaps we should feel lucky that any have survived.

IIRC ...from reading it in ICE years and years ago -- it was the two-track masters, not the multis, of LZ II that were stored in a car trunk. Ever since then I've wondered what the source for the subsequent remasters was. I have no idea which LZ albums have multis still available...

Half of Yes' 'Close to the Edge' multis are apparently still missing...or at least, were reported missing a few years back, and there's been no update.

Back