Problem playing back burned disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

key_wiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Not even sure if this the right forum/sub forum for this question, but I recently came across an oddity that I'm hoping someone here will have a quick-easy fix:

A couple of years back I stumbled across some files of some old quad mixes. I burned these to DVD using (probably) ImgBurn. (Again, I don't remember --- been too long ago and my brain is too damned old.) I put the disc into my trusty Yamaha Aventage Universal Player and they worked just fine.

Fast forward to yesterday and I decide I want to hear a couple of these discs again. Put them in the same player and only the front channels are being played. Not a downmix, just the front R/L. I look at the "information" on the player and it tells me this a DVD-Audio disc with MLP 4.0. So this is apparently how I burned it? The receiver tells me it is getting a 2.0 signal from the player. Connection between the two is HDMI.

What has changed since a couple of years ago? Well, I did do a software update on the player a couple of months back. That may have reset some things? And I have a new receiver. But this seems to be an issue with what the player is outputting.

I've tried fiddling with every imaginable setting on both the player and the receiver to no avail. And, for the record, the player is playing every other disc I put into it just fine. Blu-Ray, SACD, DVD-V, DVD-A, burned discs of FLAC files, etc.

I have a Pioneer Elite DVD player that will do DVD-A, SACD and DTS & Dolby. On occasion, it'll do exactly what you describe as well - most notably on one of my Paul Simon DTS discs, track 1 will only play the front channels but every other track plays in Quad. If I play the same disc in my car, all tracks work correctly.

See? Q8 was more reliable! :confused:

This is what is partly being discussed in the following thread:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...o-longer-have-DPLII-Music&p=329097#post329097

You could extract the files from your DVDs with DVD Audio Extractor and then modify each song by adding blank center and sub tracks with Audacity. It's little time consuming but worth it.

so it's the new 4K receiver that plays these discs as front-only even though the player is sending it 4 channels? Weird. I guess I'll never get some things when it comes to technology.

The AF and AP SACD quad discs I have, and the Chicago Quadio BluRays play just fine. Those are authored differently, obviously. Do they author those with a blank center? Or is this just a DVD-A thing?

Back