Pseudo-Quad mashups

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I've been experimenting with creating my own pseudo-quad mashups, using the multi track environment of Adobe Audition and time compression and expansion to match beats.

I started with something simple. I synced up the two versions of "Radio Silence" by Thomas Dolby, and then placed the rock version in the front speakers and the original version in the rears. It sounds . . . OK.

I then got ambitious and synced the entire original recording of Frank Zappa's "We're Only In It for The Money" with the dreadful 1980s remix/re-recording, using time compression and expansion to make the remix match the original. Original in fronts, remix in rears. It sounds . . . interesting.

This week, I synced up Mike Oldfield's original "Tubular Bells" with "The Orchestral Tubular Bells." I've only done side 1 so far. Original in the fronts, orchestral in the rears. It sounds . . . pretty damn good!

Anyone else tried this with other material?

J. D.

I've tried doing this with a few tracks by the High Llamas, since they've released a few instrumental versions. I put the vocal versions in front and intrumentals in the rear and they matched up pretty well. Sounds nice, if relatively static. A fun experiment.

Heck, just play the Boxer on a basic Dynaco matrix playback setup and you would be shocked at the result, the type that puts a smile on your face.

Richard

Back