Q: You have some Quad/4 Ch music files, what is the best way to play them (on 70's era system)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadraReel

All suggestions considered. I have digital files of discrete recordings *you have probably heard them* and I want listen to them the old fashioned way using a JVC integrated amp (VN-770)..

If I listed the certain criteria (I did) preferentially : Cheapest possible investment, yet employing the simplest method (don't want to have to record to them to tape first)

If there is something available with a USB or SD input and RCAs out (that also processes the file correctly) that would be fine.
Ive done some research but reluctant to strike out and lay any money down until I have more info.

Assuming also some kind of software to split the tracks could be useful also - what do you recommend? (again cheap is best and FREE is the cheapest!)

Thanks!

I use an older desktop computer with 5.1 outputs. I only use front and back left and right channels through RCA to 1/8" mini phono plugs. That way I can play from all types of files. Be sure to set output to 4.0 channels. I have a Japanese USB 5.1 soundcard that was reasonably priced, but have never tried it to use an old laptop. I do have a MOTU 828mk1 that is Firewire, but haven't gotten a "round tuit" for a while.

You could wire this into one of the analog inputs on your vintage amp and connect it to a laptop via USB. I use Foobar2000 to playback multichannel files and Audacity to edit them. Both are free.

Are using a device like that now? All I see in the pics are stereo RCAs out and like the other poster mentioned I need 4 audio outs. Also I have no laptop...

I can do PC method but the nearest computer to my quad listening room is 25 ft away and I dont have a spare desktop PC, I have an idle Apple desktop (which is a huge thing) but no spare monitor.

SO if I go with the PC/ 5.1 sound card route I will need the PCI card AND about 120ft (4 x 25ft) of RCA cables which i will need to run through the drop tile ceilings to the quad room.

It should work, is not expensive, but not really, easy either.

Are using a device like that now? All I see in the pics are stereo RCAs out and like the other poster mentioned I need 4 audio outs. Also I have no laptop...

I can do PC method but the nearest computer to my quad listening room is 25 ft away and I dont have a spare desktop PC, I have an idle Apple desktop (which is a huge thing) but no spare monitor.

SO if I go with the PC/ 5.1 sound card route I will need the PCI card AND about 120ft (4 x 25ft) of RCA cables which i will need to run through the drop tile ceilings to the quad room.

It should work, is not expensive, but not really, easy either.

Yep, I'm using that exact unit. I forgot to mention that the output jacks are a bit odd- probably because it was designed to work with a matching portable speaker set. The fronts, rears, and center/sub are each on stereo headphone outs. You need adapters that split stereo headphone to stereo RCA-in. They're cheap and pretty easy to come by.

Sounds like you've got it figured out, though.

Yep, I'm using that exact unit. I forgot to mention that the output jacks are a bit odd- probably because it was designed to work with a matching portable speaker set. The fronts, rears, and center/sub are each on stereo headphone outs. You need adapters that split stereo headphone to stereo RCA-in. They're cheap and pretty easy to come by.

Sounds like you've got it figured out, though.

Thanks, now I just need to get a full install download of the FOOBAR. That PC is offline and I do not wish to connect it to the internet.

There are used PCI multi-ch sound cards that start from less than $10 and up, and new ones arent much more. There are also 25-50ft 3.5mm audio cables that terminate into dual RCA male - in the under $20 range. I have some multi-core cable around here but for these prices I'd rather not have to solder wires.

Even if I have to pull a lot of ceiling tiles I think the price is very reasonable to be able to listen to some interesting Quad mixes I have not heard yet.

I use an older desktop computer with 5.1 outputs. I only use front and back left and right channels through RCA to 1/8" mini phono plugs. That way I can play from all types of files. Be sure to set output to 4.0 channels. I have a Japanese USB 5.1 soundcard that was reasonably priced, but have never tried it to use an old laptop. I do have a MOTU 828mk1 that is Firewire, but haven't gotten a "round tuit" for a while.

OK - i think did manage to not spend much money.

Scored a "previously-owned" ...yeah, used 7.1 sound card for under $10 and there is a nice deal for a pair of 3.5mm > dual RCAs 50ft of cable for around $7 on the Bay. Long run but I have 38ft of ceiling to travel plus the 6-7 ft up from equipment to the ceiling & back down, so 50ft may just barely cut it.

Sounds like you already figured it out. Be sure to use the WASAPI output plugin for foobar (assuming you're using Windows) to bypass the Windows sound mixer and send the audio out directly.

As someone who enjoys building tech stuff, there are a few options that would allow you to have all the devices in the same room. The way I'd do it would probably be build my own mini-PC with a mini-itx motherboard in a compact case. The MSI B360I GAMING PRO AC LGA 1151 (300 Series) motherboard, for instance, can do 7.1 analog audio out and two m.2 connections so you can put the hard drive right on the motherboard. Then I'd get a CPU like the Intel Core i3-8100, a low-profile cooler silent cooler like the Shadow Rock LP, and a small case like the Antec ISK 300. With that case you could even have room for a slimline (12.7mm) DVD/CD drive. Or pay a little more for a Blu-ray drive in that size and hear the quad mixes on Blu-rays without ripping. For $20 a Logitech K400 is the perfect keyboard/mouse. Plug in a small cheap monitor, install Windows, and $500+ later you're good to go.

It's probably not the smart or cheap way to do it, but the fun way isn't always the smartest or cheapest way. It is, however, the way to do it that gives you the most power and flexibility.

Another option would be to get a cheap NUC with Windows preinstalled and use a HDMI audio extractor like a Monoprice Blackbird to split the HDMI audio to the analog outputs. The best would be a NUC with analog outputs directly, but I don't know any that do more than stereo. Some have a mic port as well that might be assignable as two more channels out with some tinkering in the software though.

Another option would be to get a cheap NUC with Windows preinstalled and use a HDMI audio extractor like a Monoprice Blackbird to split the HDMI audio to the analog outputs. The best would be a NUC with analog outputs directly, but I don't know any that do more than stereo. Some have a mic port as well that might be assignable as two more channels out with some tinkering in the software though.

Seems that this Monoprice Blackbird HDMI audio extractor is sold under a plethora of names; IMHO the audio output quality of this little box is excellent and i doubt a built-in audio analog on a NUC is so clean.

Seems that this Monoprice Blackbird HDMI audio extractor is sold under a plethora of names; IMHO the audio output quality of this little box is excellent and i doubt a built-in audio analog on a NUC is so clean.
Fair. Or you could just plug in a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro via USB and go from there. Would work well with a NUC or an old laptop. But I prefer to overengineer.

Fair. Or you could just plug in a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro via USB and go from there. Would work well with a NUC or an old laptop. But I prefer to overengineer.

Does the X-Fi supports the 44,1k and multiples natively or does always the resample to 48k and multiples?

Thanks for the inputs but in my current situation (in the process of moving this summer) I didn't want to add a desktop/monitor to the quad room or spend much moolah (laptop, NUC...etc)

So far I spent a grande total of $17.00 for the hardware. I haven't experienced it actually working yet
but hopeful that I will be able to play the files with Foobar and the Omega PCI card will output the 4 channels thru the 50 ft RCA cable run where VN-770 sits & will take it from there. That amp is a real joy to listen to.!

My only source has been discrete Q4 tape in there. After we move I might try CD-4 lps or maybe Q8-tape though the 3.75 ips tape speed puts me off somewhat and my initial 8-trk phase was long, long ago,
I pretty much waved them goodbye when the car player quit. ; )

Gawdog! The 50ft cable runs didnt go far enough, I went up and thru a drop tile ceiling but had to go down
outside and under the door due to a stout wooden joist (didnt want to drill thru it.

Once under the door I was about 5 foot short of reaching the rear panel of the amplifier.

I'll have to find 4 rca female couplars and two more cables to get er done!

it was about 36ft "on the floor" from point A to point B so I knew it was going to be squeaker if it did
reach... naw!

Back