• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

QRX-9001 + Fosgate Tate II (or alternative)

Hey so I've got a QRX-9001, the CD-4 and QS work great, but id say the SQ leaves something to be desired. I'm dreaming of a Fosgate Tate II 101A, though I'm open to other suggestions. Basically I'm looking for any suggestions on incorporating an external SQ decoder into my current system. I'm using the QRX-9001 as my phono-preamp and decoder, which I'm then sending through the quad tape-out (Tape-2 4ch rec) to another receiver. Maybe running the stereo Tape-1 stereo rec into the external SQ and then into the Tape-2 4ch Play? Anyone have any experience? My 9001 is currently in the shop, and I haven't purchased an extra decoder yet, though I'd like to look into functionality before dropping some serious $$$ on a Tate II or otherwise.

Thanks.

Quadzilla

Exiled QQ Veteran
I have a QRX-7001, and I can tell you that there are VERY few stand-alone SQ decoders that are better than the Sansui's. Besides the Tate units and the Surround Master, the only ones that come to mind are the Lafayette SQ-W and the Sony SQD-2020 or the (better) 2010. The Pioneers are the worst, and I wouldn't bother with a lesser Sony either. Other brands are pretty dismal too.

I have told you before (and you didn't want to hear it then), but using a modern stand-alone phono preamp will improve matrix decoding MUCH more than you might think. I realize that makes using the Sansui's CD-4 demodulator more difficult, but I use a stand-alone JVC demodulator anyway ... then run the phono signal to a Rega Fono preamp.

I have a QRX-7001, and I can tell you that there are VERY few stand-alone SQ decoders that are better than the Sansui's. Besides the Tate units and the Surround Master, the only ones that come to mind are the Lafayette SQ-W and the Sony SQD-2020 or the (better) 2010. The Pioneers are the worst, and I wouldn't bother with a lesser Sony either. Other brands are pretty dismal too.

I have told you before (and you didn't want to hear it then), but using a modern stand-alone phono preamp will improve matrix decoding MUCH more than you might think. I realize that makes using the Sansui's CD-4 demodulator more difficult, but I use a stand-alone JVC demodulator anyway ... then run the phono signal to a Rega Fono preamp.
Ah, I know you have. And I appreciate your continued input and emphasis. I still just can't/don't have quite the space for a separate CD-4 and matrix turntable setup. I also can't stand having to unplug and re-plug things in order to play different formats...but I really should give the SQ an a/b with a newer phono-pre. Maybe if the results are good enough it would motivate me to buy a new dedicated phono-pre (I'd have to borrow one from another room's setup for the a/b) and save some $$$ from not buying another decoder...
...Thanks again

I contacted Jim at QRX Restore who believes that the 2 ch tape loop, through an external decoder, back into the 4ch tape loop, out the 4ch rec method should work for the 9001. I'll have to confirm if I ever get a chance though.

Last edited:

ss9001

300 Club - QQ All Star
^^ That's the way I have used my 9001 with an Audionics S&IC (w/ Tate II chips so = Fosgate-Tate) decoder and various NR & dynamic range expansion gear. The 2 ch tape out is pure 2 channel into the SQ decoder. My 9001 has been modded to have preamp outs & blend resistors removed. So I don't have to use 4 ch rec outs but should work just fine.

The Audionics & Fosgate units audibly outperform Sansui's SQ function, much improving front/back channel separation. And the synthesis is close to Sansui's but IMO not quite the equal. So worth trying to have both.

So stick with the 9001 and try to add a Fosgate/Audionics. You will not be disappointed with its SQ vs Sansui's. 25-40 dB separation beats Sansui's 12 and it is audible ;) There were 2 Audionics composers on Ebay not long ago that the seller was selling as-is that he said need repair. I don't know if they are still listed or if Jim is willing to tackle a Tate/Audionics.

I recently added a Jim restored-repaired QSD-1 which is also connected in the 9001's tape loop. I am the original owner of the 9001 bought new in '78 or 79 and had restored with the blend resistors removed, calibrated and preamp outs installed. But Jim's suggestion to use the 4 ch rec outs should work just fine.

I can also share my experiences with the Involve surroundmaster if you are interested but off topic to your thread so PM if you want :)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I support the prior suggestion of Lafayette SQ-W if you're not able to afford a Fosgate/Tate or Audionics Space and Image Composer when they come up for sale. The SQ-W's do a damn good job.
As also mentioned, Involve Audio's Surround Master has rave reviews - I don't have one yet myself, I've ended up holding out for the new model when it gets released.