QRX 9001...what's a good price?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zero Cool

Ran into a guy who is dumping all his vintage stuff and he has a 9001 that a may be able to pick up at a decent price. Bad news is that it has a channel out...not sure which one. Knowing that I'll most likely be taking it somewhere/to someone for repairs, what would be a reasonable price to offer?
I live in Arizona, any good mechanics in my neck of the woods?

ZC,
You are looking at a typical 9001. Effectively, they all have a channel or two out, and if they don't when you buy it, they will soon. This is caused by a dual sided PC board that all the quad mode switches mount on. Dual sided boards were new in 1976 and they hadn't worked out how to connect the two sides, and cold solder joints develop in the "passthroughs" the places where connections are made between sides. There are 54 pass throughs on this dual sided board. It is the bane of the 9001.

Fixing it is not easy and is beyond the confront level of most techs. Also, because the unit is almost 35 years old, you might as well have all the electrolytic caps changed out for new ones. Their spec'd life was 15-20 years, and even though most of them still pass audio, the sound is nothing like what it was when new.

As far as what it is worth? Practically all 9001s are repairable, because the quality of the internals was probably as high as anything ever made in Japan in the Golden Age. There are gold plated connectors throughout. The pots and switches are very high quality, and the asssembly was first rate. The price that 9001's sell for is almost completely determined by cosmetics. A like new unit with no scratches on the panel or the cabinet, with documentation and 4 ch test record will go for as much as $1250. An average unit in good condition with some scratches and chips on the cabinet and no bad nasties on the panel will go for $250-500. That's pretty much the range.

My son and I specialize in restoring 9001/8001's. You can see pictures of the dual sided board and what's involved in fixing it on our site. QRXrestore.com

Jim

Last edited:
Thx Jim,
Appreciate the reply.....I bookmarked your web site in case I go that route. I can probably pick it up for $200, maybe less. I have a Marantz 4270/w SQA2 now that has served me well for 20+ years (am I lucky that I've had no issues?), but most here at QQ are really high on the 9001 and though about getting it......just in case. Cosmetically it's a 9.5. I'm thinking of buying it.... playing it awhile with 3channels and see if I like it enough to invest in a restore. If not, should be able to recoup my $$$ to someone who is willing to do the work needed.
Thx again....John

That's a very good price for one that is in good shape. I would jump on it, you can't go wrong. :eek:)

It may very well work when you get it home, as moving them tends to get the bad solder joints all connected again.

Good luck.

You never know. I bought a 7001 (with the rare outer wood cabinet) on Ebay for $75 (no shipping either as happened to be 30 minutes away.) Seller said one channel was out. Got it open and it turned out the only thing wrong with it was a blown fuse. I've been using it as my main receiver ever since with zero problems. As an added bonus, the cabinet is absolutely immaculate because it was housed in the outer wood cabinet all its life, and that took all the abuse. Got real lucky on that one.

Back