QRX Restore- Jim fixed/grossly improved my qb 9001!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadgirl

Since 2002/2003
Hi,everyone!Just a quick follow-up - I am busy playing quad.I sent 4 boards to Jim to fix my right rear popping issue I have had for about the entire time I've had my qb restored 9001. He also did the dif-mod and the holy grail thingy. Well, i can honestly say I have never heard such quality from this receiver. The noise floor is way lower, I am hearing much more range, and somehow my La Scala's and Heresy's are shining like never before. I mean there was even imaging in front on Aqualung, though I also had all the discreteness in rears and all around -don't even know how to explain it! I have been playing q-8's, but today went through a couple of cd-4 setup discs to set carrier and separation and set up both the 9001 and the marantz cd-400. I have listened to Bread, The Doors, Jethro Tull, Aretha Franklin and Nilsson and I cannot stop! The sound is huge! The cd400 is playing a little better than the 9001's internal demodulators, but they are shockingly good. I never used to be able to listen just through the 9001. I will be playing SQ and QS titles soon, but this is just so awesome. The 9001 never EVER sounded so good. And, to think I almost gave up since I did not want to ship this thing. I also dodged a bullet because I almost took it to a local shop and am sure that even if they would have tried fixing it, they would not have been able to mod it and give me this brand new quad sound. WOW! The synergy with these unpower-hungry LaScala's is just unbelievable! Thanks, Jim! Also, thanks particularly to Doug and Quad Linda and Jefe1 for advising on my new connections with snr-1's. I believe I mentioned earlier that Jim had a few surprises to deal with, so if you have a qb restored unit in particular that is having issues, you may want tocontact him. I cannot believe the difference with the mod he did,so even if you don't also have a problem that needs fixing, you might check out his site. I really thought that loud popping and cracking would never go away or that I would find someone who could fix it from just sending in the boards. Jim was also very communicative and fast! Anyway, I am thrilled to be immersed in quad like never before. I simply cannot explain how my speakers are singing now -just magic to me, though I am sure Jim could explain it technically. Happy quadding to all!Laura

Good for you Laura! It's always a good feeling when the money spent on a repair meets or exceeds your expectations. This is a great recommendation for Jim's business. Being able to repair the boards without shipping the entire unit was the way to go.

I am glad you are enjoying your quad system, Laura!

I can hardly wait for my apartment to be restored to normal after a slight flooding episode from the deluge on Friday.

They are supposed to be here today to reattach the carpet.

I had to evacuate all of my quad stuff and it sits waiting to be reinstalled (Heathkits, 8 Advent speakers, three turntables, decoders, demodulators, etc.).

At least none of it was damaged or ruined.

And I'm glad to have been of some help.

Doug

Great news Laura and thank you! I will have to contact Jim. I have been procrastinating getting my 9001 fixed because I don't want to go thru the ordeal of shipping it. Perhaps Jim is familair with the quadbob shortcuts he took and I can go the same board route you did. On the other hand I would feel better getting a professional assessment of everything under the hood for years of future reliability and getting whatever was missed fixed.

And now, of course, I have to make a decision (something not so easy for us Librans - chuckle, chuckle).

They offered me an apartment up on the second floor and I wouldn't have to worry about water anymore and there's a balcony and the kitchen's a bit bigger but...the living room is smaller and that's a main, and I mean MAIN consideration for a person with a quad system and a couple thousand records.

Don't you think?

They prolly think I'm crazy and, as a matter of fact, I prolly am but there you have it.

My system sounds so good in this apartment and I think part of that is the room size and dimensions.

Oh well, I'll see.

Anyway Laura, do the SNR1s seem to be making a difference in hiss level from the 8-tracks? I have a special interest in those given my work history. \:^)

Doug

Can you send me contact info? I tried to fix my QX4000 by replacing four of the main power transistors... and screwed it up somehow. It doesn't make any sound now. (Not that it made much before). Unit has sentimental value otherwise I'd find a new one on eBay...

Charles.

Nice to see these things getting new life, and being handled by someone who cares more about the work they do than the press they get.

Hi, Doug!Tough decision. I think you should stay where you know the music is great, but hope this flooding was a fluke. Wow - you must have some nice friends to help move that much stuff and so many albums. I am glad nothing suffered total damage.I am still not over-awed with the snr1s, but have been so focused on albums lately that I need to get back to q8s. I will let you know more after I have some more time with them now properly hooked up. Good luck with your decision - unlike Libra's, geminis like me usually just go to one extreme or the other and then change our minds and go back to the opposite decision! I would rather be you! Take care.Laura

Thanks to Old Quad Guy for giving Charles the site info. Charles, I think you will be happy when you check out his website and happier if you email Jim with your issues. He knows his stuff and has run his own pro audio company, built all kinds of things and gets right to the point about our beloved Sansui's. Good luck.Laura

Hi all,
I've been following this thread for a few days, and wanted to reply but haven't had time til this morning. First of all, thanks for all the kind words Laura. I really appreciate it. I'd like to make a few comments about the work I did on your 4 boards, the two output driver boards and the two quad boards.

Your problem with the crackling and popping is a fairly normal problem that occurs with amps. If it can be isolated to just the amplifier stage, it practically always is the first two transistors in that stage, called the "differential pair". It is so hard to troubleshoot an amp stage, that whenever I get that problem, I just change out the diff pair. It's worked every time so far. And then of course, I change all the other diff pairs for the other channels, it's just good practice. Whatever stress caused the problem on the bad channel, likely occurred to the ones that are still good, and they could give future problems. Usually the noise is not too loud. I can imagine, though, with your 98db per watt Klipsch speakers that the noise practically pinned you to the wall. I also changed out a few of the fusible resistors on those boards that had not been changed by QB.

Your quad boards already had the HG alignment. The blend resistors had been removed and the alignment was there. That is done with the 4 trimpots on the 8087 board. The alignment was off a little, I just tweeked it back in. Maybe QB wasn't calling it the HG alignment yet, when you had your 9001 done by him.

And now to the modifications to your output driver boards. The first thing I do is reduce the gain of the entire stage. Most gear from the 70's has too much gain. This can be identified by the fact that most people are at full volume at 10:30-11:00 oclock on the vol control. There are several benefits to this. First, like you said, the noise floor is reduced, allowing the music to play over a silent background, which in your case, with your hyper efficient Klipsch's, is a real benefit. Second, this causes the preceding stages to run at higher output voltages, effectively increasing the current flow there by 4-6 times. Low level audio circuitry always sounds better when run louder. Third, the vol control tracking L to R and the rears also is at its worst at the low end of its range (balance and tracking). By running the vol control higher, these issues are lessened.

The modern SS amplifier in it's current topology was first put on the market by Crown in 1967, with the Crown DC300. The Crown was an implementation of a circuit called the "laboratory amplifier" that had been around forever with tubes, and was mainly used in lab test equipment, because of its accuracy, such as the input to an oscilloscope, or VTVM. All the other manufactures, including Sansui, followed suit and began using this circuit in their higher powered amps. Only problem was, they left part of the circuit out.

I don't know if you remember, but during this time a new measurement, called TIM, or transient intermodulation distortion, appeared on the scene. It was an attempt to codify why amps sounded different. The manufactures didn't like this measurement and did everything they could to discredit it, because it showed up the real problems with their amplifiers. They also responded by adding back the circuitry of the missing parts of the lab amp. I don't agree with how they did this. They did it with, what I call, trick circuitry. They used a couple more transistors to balance the very small currents flowing in the input part of the amplifier. It's my opinion that this "trick" is what brings about the cold and sterile but accurate, sound of the later Sansuis, the AU919 and all the others from about '79 on.

What I do is add back the missing parts of the lab amp, using circuitry of my own design, and painstakingly balance the currents by hand, instead of using the trick. My opinion, is that this opens up the inner detail of the amp without removing the warm and tube like quality of the Sansuis that we love so much. Practically everyone who I have done this mod for, says something like you did Laura, "I mean there was even imaging in front on Aqualung, though I also had all the discreteness in rears and all around -don't even know how to explain it!"

In music that you know and love, with this mod, you will hear things that you haven't heard before. The first time I figured this out and did this mod, on my first restored 9001, I was dumbstruck to listen to the Beatles White Album and hear things that I had never heard before, after almost 40 years of listening. The front imaging was so good, all kinds of little vocal licks and sounds were just popping up. I had a hard time believing the mod was that good at first, just because I had put a tremendous amount of work into it, and you know how psychology works, especially in audio. I've noticed in the past that just dusting off and cleaning my audio gear, putting the CD's away, that kind of stuff, always makes my stereo sound better. LOL Lots of listening since, and the opinions of many other people have led me to believe that the "diff mod" that I do, really opens up the sound.

So, I'm really glad that worked so well for you.--Jim

Jim, your post was so informative. Makes me want a QRX-9001. I sold a lot of equipment by discussing how TIM and negative feedback affect the sound. Then I'd demonstrate it. Wow! Hearing more of the things you've never heard before is a revelation. How many of us have spent $$$ in pursuit of that?

Similar to Laura's installation, we displayed 4 Altec Voice of the Theaters for Quad in our store. Those efficiencient speakers rocked like the Klipsch. Imagine Intergalactic Trot-Stardrive in CD-4 through a Marantz 4400 or a JVC black Quad w/seperate front and rear eq. Quad on STEROIDS! Ooh!

Linda
color me envious

Well, I must get in this conversation also. My name is Kurt and I live in Hawaii. I have a Sansui QRX-9001 and a QRX-7001 as well as a Marantz 2252B receiver. I also run JBL 4312's in the rear and JBL E-90's in the front.
Several months ago, I sent all my boards form the "7001" in to Jim for the works. He modded the 2 quad boards(2087 & 2088) and
did the recapping, holy grail and all to the rest of my boards. I want to tell you that Jim Showker is a "master"! The sound from
my "7001 is fantastic! You can see my comments on his feedback page and you can see what was done on "shop action" page at his
http://www.qrxrestore.com/. I also had an extra set of quad boards that he fixed for me and recapped and restore with the holy grail mods.I put those in my QRX-9001. I have both receivers set up in my listening area and have what I believe to be state of the art
sound.
I have a friend who runs a $15,000 system(stereo only) but is quite nice. I WOULD NOT TRADE HIS GEAR FOR MINE! Whatever
music I play, Eagles, Beethoven, Pink Floyd, John Coltrane, Pavarotti, whatever source I play, vinyl, super audio CD, cassette,
digital streaming, or even Blu-ray, it sounds spectacular now and much better than the $15,000 setup. I have what I consider to be a
very trained ear and I can hear the fidelity like never before! If you have the money, I highly suggest you send your gear to Jim
and let the Master transform it. You won't be sorry!
Oh, I messed up a bit. Jim did the power amp mods to my 9001 as well as the vinyl board-that is why the 9001 sounds so great. It's late and
I need to get to sleep but sorry I forgot t mention the 9001 was modded also! Good night and Aloha!

Quality Quad and Surround Sound systems beat most, if not all, 2ch systems. The hot tickets, if you have the money, or are willing to part with it, are upper line vintage Quad or moden surround gear. Better yet, seperate pre-amp and power amps and four matched, full-range speakers. My main system features seperates, 30 pieces, 11 of them are vintage, 6 of those are vintage Quad. I'll put it against most 2ch seperates. If I turn off the center and rear speakers, it sounds fantastic, yet I never listen in that mode. There's no point. All the decoding modes are switched automatically, except Quad LP's, which I manually route to the appropriate decoder/demodulator.

A friend of mine who has terriffic stereo seperates, told me this week that she has avoided surround strictly because of the added cost. Someone willing to admit the truth. Sure, Quad and surround sound will increase your costs by about 75%. Yet, I would expect that every person here will say it's well worth it.

Welcome to QQ Kurt! Everyone here is friendly and helpful. In my past life, I sold hifi for 20 years. Many of the guys here are as knowledgeable as the most technical people in the business. In fact, many of them are in the business: technicians, engineers and writers. They know what they're talking about.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your time spent here!

Linda

Hi Kurt,
thanks for the kind words. You left something out though. Every time you send me boards to work on, you include a good size bag of chocolate covered macadamia nuts. And of course, that is nothing but a blatant bribe!! No wonder your system sounds so good!! Justin and I snack on them while we work on your stuff.

It couldn't be any simpler. :)

Jim

Last edited:
sounds like we have a new tech on site - sorry i didnt get my gear to you sooner - it would have put some thrill back into it for me - but as i sell and let things go ... i cant count the amount of money i have wasted NOT working with you - i will go quad again - hope we can get together.

isnt this your piece of art yours? side comment - nice of me to list my quad slob restored qrx 9001 the same time you and black swamp audio did too - dang - me smart

william a reid ...going deaf

Back