QS Lucanu 2013 script available

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucanu

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Cabras, Sardinia, Italy, Europe, World, Solar syst
I know it sounds weird in this particular moment, OD scripts, Involve SQS units (I bought one), but I think part of the real fun was to do our own script decoding.

But I packed up the whole thing and stopped doing almost anything regarding quad in 4-years.
Fast forwarding to today I'm able to be back on this fun stuff, so I thought: can I try another script for QS decoding?

I started back again, found several wav files I had for testing out my script.
The hardest song to decode was, and still is, Bodhisattva from Steely Dan Countdown to Ecstasy, do you remember Bob Romano? It was a nightmare!!
I've heard a Q8 conversion of it and it was so different from QS I thought it was impossible to achieve those results.

Well, tell me what YOU do think about it.
You can't really have real discrete outputs, but it sounds good to my ears.
Requires Adobe Audition 3 and PhaseBug VST installed properly
View attachment QS_Lucanu_2013.zip

ps. Before running the script be sure to have your front.wav and rear.wav files on "(your HD):\QS Temp" folder or change it in the script file with Windows Notepad.

Have fun

Thanks!

I'll compare this to decodes via my Surround Master...

Synergy - Electronic Realizations from the HDTracks 96/24 FLAC source will be interesting....:xp:

Lucanu -

Thanks for the updated script!

It's a good time to be revisiting quad conversions, with the Surround Master and new Audition 3.0 scripts.

For those of us who are curious - can you say anything about how you've refined the script? Audition scripts aren't readable code. For a while, I've wondered how these things work.

Processing....Can't wait to let it rip......

QS.JPG

Ohh yes....sounds great!!!

I've run Synergy - Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra - (96/24) from HDtracks via this...

Need to formally compare this now....

For those of us who are curious - can you say anything about how you've refined the script? Audition scripts aren't readable code. For a while, I've wondered how these things work.
Hey Colin,

thanks for the question,
this new script has a directional approach to decoding QS material properly.
If you ever look to AA phase scope and play a QS encoded test file you'll see how sound from different points are 360° releated to phasing.
In the past I did lots of scripts working most of the times on center channel extraction, tweaking everything i could.
While I could get almost discrete separation it sounded poor in quality, dynamic with pumping and muddy effects.

When I did my SQ script, OD tweaked it, the approach was right. Directional is the way to go.
QS is no different to SQ when you want to decode it properly.

I just low down the CCE process to minimal, but with more precise calculating.

When the script loads the front.wav file it just restore the normal stereo separation applying a L100%-R25% for left channel and -L25%+R100% for right channel
This gives you a better L to R separation and center L/center R separation as well with no logic involved.
Then it works with the first batch of CCE process for center front/back logic cancelling
Once done it just does a simple stereo phase shifting of -17.5° and apply another CCE process to separate FL/RL logic
This way I don't have to change anything in CCE parameters.
Then, again it applies a simple stereo phase shifting of 35°, apply CCE for FR/RR logic.
I did another stereo phase shift of -17.5° to put everything back to normal parameters.
The last important part of the script is the automatic phase correction which put everything in phase for a better sounding stage.
Now it works on rear.wav file. The only difference it's a -90L +90R° Phasebug prior anything I wrote for front.wav decoding

I'm happy with the results, right now. Obviously nothing is perfect and it could be better as usual.

I hope I answered to your curiosity. Every shared knowledge is food for our brain

I finally got around to running this script against a QS recording, but wonder if I did something wrong. The result was this "phasey / flange" effect on the music.

Looking back at an older QS script, I used, I noticed this difference...

The older script took two input files, one named LF-RB.WAV and the other named LB-RF.WAV. This newer script takes input files named FRONT.WAV and REAR.WAV.

When the script completes, there are two stereo WAV files. For QS, do I still have this diagonal channel arrangement in the new script (where one WAV has left-front and right-back, and the other has left-back and right-front)?

When I did the mono .WAV extraction, I took from the file names being FRONT and REAR that the FRONT had LF and RF, and that REAR has LB and RB.

Hey Colin,

That diagonal part of the "old" script was OD part of his own. I never used that. That said I have to check it out again now that my setup is working once again.

If experience phasey sound coming out my script there's something wrong, and I suppose it's related on my script.
I have to check it out ASAP.

I'll be away for few days in London so I can't do any test since I'll be back Tuesday.

I'll let you know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucanu -

Thanks for the quick response. I'm decoding the same file with another script for comparison. If I notice less "phaseyness," I'll prepare samples of the old vs. your new script and post them here. That may take a couple of days anyway. Enjoy your trip to London.

There may not be a problem with the script after all. I just processed a 50-second excerpt of the same recording (Saint-Saens Symphony #1 in E-flat, Vox Box QSVBX 5144) but did not have the 'phasey/flangey' output this time. Before, it was very noticeable during louder portions of this piece.

I had tried twice before, but saved the script output for front stereo pair and surround stereo pair in Audition. I saved mono .WAVs and ran AudioMuxer twice, but didn't run the full decoding twice as it takes 3.75X the run time of the album side on my computer. Maybe I screwed something up when I saved the decoded stereo channel pairs in Audition, resulting in missing or overwritten channels.

I'm now reprocessing the entire album side to see what happens. It's a 30-minute sound file, so it takes almost two hours to process. I'll post another update later after I've re-decoded and re-muxed the entire album side.

I'm now reprocessing the entire album side to see what happens. It's a 30-minute sound file, so it takes almost two hours to process. I'll post another update later after I've re-decoded and re-muxed the entire album side.

The problem was something that happened during my first decode, and not with the script.

After going back to the original de-clicked .WAV file and reprocessing it with the Lucanu September 2013 script, the problem I had earlier did NOT recur. Something must have gone haywire when I was decoding or saving mono .WAV files the previous time.

I'm hoping I can find some help here.

I purchased an old Copy of AA 3.0 last night, because I couldn't get phase bug to work at all in AA 1.5.
Anytime I scan the plugin folder to add Phase Bug, Audition Crashes.

Now I find, the same thing is happening with Audition 3.

Phase Bug does however work in Sony Vegas—so I'm stumped.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a student at Utah Valley University, I'm part of the Digital Media Program—currently I'm enrolled in Advanced Audio Restoration and Forensics and I'm writing a paper on the History and Preservation of Surround Sound, this Forum has been Immensely Helpful, and I'm dying to try out the new Phase Bug Audition Script on he handful of SQ Albums I've acquired.

In fact I have a Motu 828 MkIII arriving tonight, that I plan to pair with an Electro Voice EVX-44 decoder that I got on eBay.
BUT I REALLY REALLY Want to try this Phase Bug Script.

I tried Putting the Phasebug.dll into the VST folder of Audition, now it crashes while launching when the status bar says it is loading Phasebug.dll—I'm officially flummoxed.

I found a free patch for that updates 3.0 to 3.0.1 but no free software.

I thought that updating to 3.0.1 might help, so I tried that, and It still crashes.
I'm going to try on a different computer tonight and see if I get different results.

I just finished running the script successfully on another computer, so there's something wrong with my main PC.
I probably need a fresh windows install, but I don't have time for that. I may try installing a virtual PC on my main PC just for running Audition, If I can remember how.

Back