QS Lucanu 2013 script available

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed Audition on a Virtual PC, and it works flawlessly—so there's definitely something wrong with my windows install.

Hi all,
Im back after playing around trying to decode on this site 13 years ago.
This time wow the scripts are much much better and my gear (preamp) has gone though many rebuilds!

I've been playing with this script for 15 hrs straight against the QS360 and a couple of others and although the seperation with this script is better than the rest unfortantly these all this phasey artifacting going on , not only out of the rears but the front too!. Hopefully im doing something wrong, but after about 30 tracks going though the script the same effects are present.

Now I'm not having a go at Mr Lucanu, He's the genius that got this much separation out of this!

Has there been any development in the QS-SQ scrips of late?

Thank you so much for the "genius" but I'm just an old curious lad

Back to your question, I did manage to do upgrades of the script, it was changed a bit.
I had the chance to buy a NM copy of the Jap press pf Pink Floyd DSOTM, which is RM.
It looks like RM is more close to Dolby Prologic II than QS is. So I did a A/B test converting PF Money from the QS Quadrafile record and from the RM DSOTM.
There were differences, that makes me think the QS script was too much directed to 45° on the L/R separation, which caused most of the phasey effect.
I tried to improve it for a good separation on decoding both RM/QS recordings.

So, long story short, my last script was done in 2015
It contains both SQ/QSRM decoding, but I thought it would be easier to have front.wav and rear.wav files in the same directory which is C:\Quad
You can always change it as usual the old way ;)

Hi all,
Im back after playing around trying to decode on this site 13 years ago.
This time wow the scripts are much much better and my gear (preamp) has gone though many rebuilds!

I've been playing with this script for 15 hrs straight against the QS360 and a couple of others and although the seperation with this script is better than the rest unfortantly these all this phasey artifacting going on , not only out of the rears but the front too!. Hopefully im doing something wrong, but after about 30 tracks going though the script the same effects are present.

Now I'm not having a go at Mr Lucanu, He's the genius that got this much separation out of this!

Has there been any development in the QS-SQ scrips of late?

Attachments

• QS-RM-SQ-2015.scp.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 203

Back to your question, I did manage to do upgrades of the script, it was changed a bit.
I had the chance to buy a NM copy of the Jap press pf Pink Floyd DSOTM, which is RM.
It looks like RM is more close to Dolby Prologic II than QS is. So I did a A/B test converting PF Money from the QS Quadrafile record and from the RM DSOTM.
There were differences, that makes me think the QS script was too much directed to 45° on the L/R separation, which caused most of the phasey effect.

It contains both SQ/QSRM decoding, but I thought it would be easier to have front.wav and rear.wav files in the same directory which is C:\Quad

Scusi, Luca, but I have to agree with ade42..you are a genius!
Especially when you deny it!(that's the giveaway!)

I've been using Lucanu's scripts for years and they have ALWAYS been the best ones (sounds like an ad, doesn't it?)..

Luca is also a killer bass player and a real music PRO...and very 'umble too...great guy!! We should all be thankful we have him in this forum!

Wow thanks for the new scripts!!. In fact I've spent my day off laying down some QS and SQ Lps Via a new kind of preamp I built and was about to come on this forum begging for any new updates!
And only just came off a 2 hr 'A and B' of the OD 'Final' SQ vs your 2013 SQ script. after a good deal of comparing the rear channels though some good Cans (ex audio engineer) your 2013 was the best, OD's SQ*Final suffers some weird atifacting out of the back, plus most of the top end was missing from his and this almost mono like mix with a good deal of separation but yours sounded like the front channels, nice and clean with no 'muddiness'.
Im now running a 'SQ' and 'QS' Test using all the avible scripts from a wav with 30 seconds of about a dozen tracks from various LP's. Be very interesting to compare the results. Might be up for a few hrs yet!.

Hmm interesting about the RM and QS DSOTM pressings, Wonder how it would compare with the SQ pressing?

So just finished some QS tests, with some startling results. is there a way we can upload short 5 second samples of rear channels here? I mean the material Im playing with is all from 'demo' discs 'Enoch Light' and the like, nothing currently commercially available for the last 40 years.

Last edited:

I recently re-tubed my home built "Curcio Daniel" preamp" with new E288CC tubes which someone described these as 6DJ8's on steroids! In any case replacing the tubes brought the noise floor away down and now the channels are almost perfectly balanced, the right was noticeably lower before. I previously tweaked the RIAA network with a bit more capacitance, the high's were too hot, and added more output coupling capacitance to improve the low bass. Anyway I've been ripping up a storm of late both of stereo LP's and matrix encoded ones.
Reading some of my old posts I talk about using OD's SQplus but in most of those posts I think I actually meant SQ-final, SQplus was a bit of a weird script in which he was running the Multiband Compressor. I think that I'll be using the Lucani scripts from now on. I did a comparison and although both produce similar results, it seemed to me that the overall Quad soundfield collapsed in places with the final script but was always there with the Lucani.
It's interesting that while QS is considered to be RM (Regular Matrix), RM is not necessarily QS! Sometimes RM is described as QS without the 90 degree phase shifting which makes it the same as the original system proposed by Peter Scheiber. Dolby PLII is similar as well (although OD insists that it's related to SQ). This QS/RM thing reminds me of the differing encode schemes used for encoding SQ. How can a single script work optimally for everything? Anyway I'll be trying out the QS/RM script as well.

So these are the best scripts for SQ and QS(RM) at the moment? Lucanu SQ better than the OD SQfinal? I wonder what process OD progressed to. I think sometime after SQ-Final his process became a hybrid script/something else process, or maybe he got rid of the scripts altogether. From listening to some of his final transfers he does seem to have very discreet and in phase results. Did he just buy an Involve SQ module? Lol?

So these are the best scripts for SQ and QS(RM) at the moment? Lucanu SQ better than the OD SQfinal? I wonder what process OD progressed to. I think sometime after SQ-Final his process became a hybrid script/something else process, or maybe he got rid of the scripts altogether. From listening to some of his final transfers he does seem to have very discreet and in phase results. Did he just buy an Involve SQ module? Lol?
We are (at least I am) still waiting for his results in the Billy Joel recent test.

I'm very curious about that.

Back