Quad 8-Track to Reel-to-Reel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoty50134

Is it possible to put the tape of a Quad 8-Track onto a 4-channel Reel-to-Reel tape deck and have the 4 channel playback. I mean physically playing the 8-track tpe on the RtR. I may not be explaining it right, but you guys know what I'm sayin', don't you?

You can physically do it, but the track spacing of an actual Q4 tape and a Q8 tape are quite different. Playback issues abound!

Absolutely yes, with a slight problem: Progam1 and Program2 will be mixed togheter.
Doesn't sound ok to me....

Putting a 1/4 inch tape that has 8 tracks of audio spread across it, onto a machine that reads 1/4 inch tape with only 4 tracks spread across it, is a complete waste of time...you will hear both sides at the same time and most likely with shocking azimuth as the spacing between the tracks most likely won't line up...you need to put a Q8 playback head on the Q4 machine...assuming that the Q4 machine has 3 3/4 ips as a speed option.

Even the fostex 8 track reel to reel deck needs to have a Q8 head installed for proper alignment...after it's been modified to run slower.

Is it possible to put the tape of a Quad 8-Track onto a 4-channel Reel-to-Reel tape deck and have the 4 channel playback. I mean physically playing the 8-track tpe on the RtR.

If for some reason you'd prefer to play back your quad recordings on a quad reel instead of a quad 8 track, you might consider dubbing your quad 8 tapes to quad reel. That way you don't have to worry about damaging your original Q8.

As I remember, Akai made a dual reel to reel and 8 track player set-up. I see these units from time to time on EBay, so you might want to consider this option.

MTGC (Michael)

Just as a floater:
Would it be possible to get any old 8 track player, put a q8 head in and somehow alter the cartridge with some tape over a slot and have a home brew 4 ch player?
It would all look a bit heath-robinson but for the odd archiveing project it should be ok.
You would need An old 8 track player which seem readily available on ebay.
Perhaps another player for some more replay electroncs.
or
Find a circuit e.g. http://www.circuithut.com/index.php?/circuit/content/view/full/138 or
http://www.eed.usv.ro/misc/mirrors/cc/circuit.htm/0099.htm
a Q8 head (where would you find one ??, I've recall a site called headcase or something but can't find it again).
Perhaps a 12v power supply (assume USA cars are 12v neg earth?)
and some power for the circuits.
And some time.
I'd like to add I have never owned an 8 track player stereo or otherwise and only have a basic understanding on the physical difference between the 2ch and the 4ch cartridges.
As an alternative on heads.
Does anyone know what the track spacing is on a Q8 head? and how close would it be to a 4 track cassette head (e.g. like a porta studio).
I belive cassette tape is 1/8 inch wide, 8-track tape is 2/8 wide (i.e 1/4 inch) so if the 8-track tapes are not interleaved i.e. programme 1 is tracks 1,2,3,4 and programme 2 is 5,6,7,8 it might be possible to use a cassette head instead.

The best opportunity to get a q8 head is to find a quad 8 track player brand new in box; sometimes they appear on ebay.

Did some quick research, it seems Q8 uses 1,3,5,7 and 2,4,6,8 for its programmes.
I don't know yet what the normal stereo pairs are I would hazard a guess at 1,3 & 2,4 & 5,7 & 6,8.
However I reckon it must be possible to cover the notch and persuade a stereo player that it's a standard 8 track. You could then rip the 4 programes into a PC, so you would end up wth 4 stereo .wav (mp3 or whatever). You would then need to sync the the appropriate files together. Not an easy task but should be possible with some custom software to look for a start pattern in the wav, or a small GUI that would allow the point the wav was playing to be altered with a slider and the sync point stored. Next task merge into a 4 ch .wav.
Not brilliant but may allow Q8 to be a bit more accessable.

Just as a floater:
Would it be possible to get any old 8 track player, put a q8 head in and somehow alter the cartridge with some tape over a slot and have a home brew 4 ch player?

??????????? Why convert a standard 8 track player to a q8 player?
you'd need two 8 track players to begin with just to get the replay electronics for 4 channels (unless you want to build your own) ...and then you'd somehow have to add the extra electronics inside the unit you decided to use...and then assuming all that fitted neatly inside the chasis with no ground loop/hum problems, you'd have to add a q8 head inside...

why waste hours/days of time? just buy a q8 player...(which most likely will be the one you get your Q8 head from anyway)

At the risk of getting flamed , I think sometimes it can be a bit quiet here !.
I sometimes just like to get some debate going and look at the possabilities of what we can do with our hobby rather than be passive.;)

What about modifying a regular 8 track to quad 8 track? I guess you would have to remove two of the channel changer sections and cut out a knotch in the box. Has anybody attempted this?

A modified Fostex 8 track reel deck is the only way to play original Q8 tapes on a reel deck, but good luck with that as you must be an electronics wizard (I believe Tab Patterson did this). The best/easiest option if you want to play Q8's on reel is to dub from Q8 to Q4 .With equalizers hooked into front and rear channels between the decks, you can make a Q4 of the Q8 that beats the original hands down. I have been able to collect 2 Akai Q8 recorders and 6 Q4 decks, as they are out there in thrifts and on ebay. I only use the Q8 decks to dub tapes, so as to conserve them for as long as possible and Q4 decks are easier to find. With many quads available on discs these days, it is much easier and less costly to go that routt. On a side note, you can play Muntz 4 track cartridges on a Q4 deck. First, you take the tape out of the cartridge, undo the splice and put it on a reel. Put the reel on your Q4 deck and the front channels play side one and the rear channels play side 2. After playing side one you have to rewind the tape to play side 2. This is just about the only way to play these rare cartridges these days as players are very rare.

Back