Quad Mix Hall Of Shame (A List of Fake and/or Very Conservative Quad mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Is there a quad "Hall of Shame" for those horrid fake quad mixes that failed to go back to multitrack tapes and simply screw around with two-channels adding echo etc. in attempt at a discreet Q8 release? Like theseGH and some A&M titles?

Is there a quad "Hall of Shame" for those horrid fake quad mixes that failed to go back to multitrack tapes and simply screw around with two-channels adding echo etc. in attempt at a discreet Q8 release? Like theseGH and some A&M titles?

afaik no, great idea though!
I'll start one tonight.

No QUAD HALL of SHAME, per se, exists but the Silverline 'MLP DVD~A 5.1s'of their LIVE FROM THE FRONT ROW series obviously synthesized from Sanctuary Records STEREO masters are TOP contenders.

A MOST egregious example: https://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=5846295

Although SILVERLINE did manage to release some fabulous MLP DVD~As in their brief career, their Front Row Series managed to tarnish their reputation and a lot of buyers ended up buying this series for pennies on the dollar for replacement DVD~A cases which are nigh IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND!

Last edited:
A list of Quad mixes which are said to be fake (i.e. not from the multitracks, etc.), I have included the label that issued the Quad and record or tape format information.

Any additions, amendments, comments, contributions of any kind are most welcome and encouraged!

Burt Bacharach : Greatest Hits (A&M) (Q8),

Burt Bacharach : Make It Easy On Yourself (A&M) (Q8),

Burt Bacharach : Reach Out (A&M) (Q8),

Carole King : Tapestry (Ode) (CD-4, Q8),

Cat Stevens : Catch Bull At Four (A&M) (Q8),

Cat Stevens : Tea For The Tillerman (A&M) (Q8),

Cat Stevens : Teaser & The Firecat (A&M) (Q8),

Chi-Lites : Greatest Hits (Q8),

Funkadelic : Cosmic Slop (Westbound) (Q8),

Glen Campbell/Jimmy Webb : Reunion (Capitol) (Q8),

* Grand Funk Railroad : We're An American Band (Capitol) (Q8),

Guess Who : Artifical Paradise (RCA) (Q8),

Guess Who : Flavors (RCA) (CD-4, Q8),

Guess Who : Power In The Music (RCA) (CD-4, Q8),

* Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass : Whipped Cream & Other Delights (A&M) (Q8),

Herbie Hancock : Secrets (Columbia) (Q8, SQ),

Humble Pie : Smokin' (A&M) (Q8),

Joe Cocker : Joe Cocker (A&M) (Q8),

Joe Cocker : With A Little Help From My Friends (A&M) (Q8),

Ohio Players - Ecstasy (Westbound) (Q8),

Santana : Amigos (Columbia) (SQ),

Santana : Festival (Columbia) (Q8, SQ),

Sergio Mendes : Greatest Hits (A&M) (Q8),

* Steely Dan : Pretzel Logic (ABC Command) (Q8, QS),

Wes Montgomery : Greatest Hits (A&M) (Q8).

N.B. (*) denotes mix may actually be very conservative rather than fake.

Last edited:
A list of Quad mixes which are said to be fake (i.e. not from the multitracks, etc.), I have included the label that issued the Quad and record or tape format information.

Any additions, amendments, comments, contributions of any kind are most welcome and encouraged!

Bad Company : Smokin' (A&M) (Q8),

Burt Bacharach : Greatest Hits (A&M) (Q8),

Burt Bacharach : Make It Easy On Yourself (A&M) (Q8),

Burt Bacharach : Reach Out (A&M) (Q8),

Carole King : Tapestry (Ode) (CD-4, Q8),

Cat Stevens : Catch Bull At Four (A&M) (Q8),

Cat Stevens : Greatest Hits - Partial (A&M) (CD-4, Q8),

Cat Stevens : Tea For The Tillerman (A&M) (Q8),

Cat Stevens : Teaser & The Firecat (A&M) (Q8),

Funkadelic : Cosmic Slop (Westbound) (Q8),

Glen Campbell/Jimmy Webb : Reunion (Capitol) (Q8),

Guess Who : Artifical Paradise (RCA) (Q8),

Guess Who : Flavors (RCA) (CD-4, Q8),

Guess Who : Power In The Music (RCA) (CD-4, Q8),

Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass : Whipped Cream & Other Delights (A&M) (Q8),

Herbie Hancock : Secrets (Columbia) (Q8, SQ),

Joe Cocker : Joe Cocker (A&M) (Q8),

Joe Cocker : With A Little Help From My Friends (A&M) (Q8),

Ozark Mountain Daredevils : It'll Shine When It Shines (A&M) (Q8),

Santana : Amigos (Columbia) (SQ),

Santana : Festival (Columbia) (Q8, SQ),

Sergio Mendes : Greatest Hits (A&M) (Q8),

Steely Dan : Pretzel Logic (ABC Command) (Q8, QS),

Tony Orlando & Dawn : Greatest Hits (Arista) (CD-4, Q8),

Wes Montgomery : Greatest Hits (A&M) (Q8).

And then they should rightfully be called Q/FAKES [Q8] and QUAD LITES [SQ/QS vinyl]. Not to mention how many DVD/BD Concert Videos contain only ambience in the rears....probably 90%....or MORE!

BTW, Adam, does this thread come under the heading of FAKE NEWS?

Last edited:
And then they should rightfully be called Q/FAKES [Q8] and QUAD LITES [SQ/QS vinyl]. Not to mention how many DVD/BD Concert Videos contain only ambience in the rears....probably 90%....or MORE!

It certainly IS fake news if he thinks that Bad Company released a quad title.

I hear you, Ralph!
tbh I think the DVD/BD concert video fake/ambience question is best left for another debate/thread/list and it would be better to stick to listing those Quad mixes from the 70's that are reported to be "fake" for now but if the consensus is to lump them all in, I guess we can do that, although I wouldn't know where to start and would have to rely solely on you guys to list concert DVDs and such I don't really keep up with all that.

Quad 'fake mix' "Hall Of Shame" list/thread starts here;

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/quad-mix-hall-of-shame.25164/#post-379303

Please do chip in and help out as and when you can, any contribution towards compiling the list is greatly appreciated.

The problem with concerts is they are supposed to be like that. Discrete concerts, though generally awesome, are the weird ones.

very true!

maybe a list of discrete surround concert DVDs would be shorter and perhaps more appropriate rather than a list of those concert DVDs that aren't?

such a list may well have been done on QQ already?

Back