Quad Releases Following Hit Albums (With No Quad Release)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
Some interesting conversation between myself and @fredblue on the "Suggestions for DV" thread yielded the observation that many of Columbia's quad titles seem to be albums following a hit album, rather than the hit album itself.

Here's a few to start:
Wild Cherry's Electrified Funk- preceded by Wild Cherry which contained the hit "Play That Funky Music"
Redbone's Beaded Dreams- preceded by Wovoka which contained the hit "Come And Get Your Love"
Return To Forever's Musicmagic- preceded by Romantic Warrior
O'Jays' Ship Ahoy- preceded by Back Stabbers which contained the hits "Back Stabbers" and "Love Train" (though in all fairness Ship Ahoy does have "For The Love Of Money)
B.T. Express' Energy To Burn- preceded by Non-Stop

Some interesting conversation between myself and @fredblue on the "Suggestions for DV" thread yielded the observation that many of Columbia's quad titles seem to be albums following a hit album, rather than the hit album itself.

Here's a few to start:
Wild Cherry's Electrified Funk- preceded by Wild Cherry which contained the hit "Play That Funky Music"
Redbone's Beaded Dreams- preceded by Wovoka which contained the hit "Come And Get Your Love"
Return To Forever's Musicmagic- preceded by Romantic Warrior
O'Jays' Ship Ahoy- preceded by Back Stabbers which contained the hits "Back Stabbers" and "Love Train" (though in all fairness Ship Ahoy does have "For The Love Of Money)
B.T. Express' Energy To Burn- preceded by Non-Stop

Which points to the sad reality that artists had to prove themselves to be accorded a QUAD release....IPSO FACTO!

We can ruminate for eons over the Major Record Comglomerate's varying philosophies.......but what it all comes down to....they were doing way too much COCAINE back in the day [even going so far as to pay some artists IN COCAINE] and well, what do you expect?

As if things have changed today ........ they're just doing BETTER and MORE potent designer drugs....and we pay the price!

Johnny Nash's "I can see clearly, now" had no Quad, but "My Merry-go-round" did.
Sly Stone's "There's a Riot Goin' On" was announced, but unreleased. Followed by "Fresh", another great album with no Quad release and then we get "Small Talk" which barely had it's single "Time for Livin' " crack the Top-40.

Thanks for the contributions everyone! So here's what we've got so far:
  • Wild Cherry- Electrified Funk after Wild Cherry
  • Redbone- Beaded Dreams after Wovoka
  • Return To Forever- Musicmagic after Romantic Warrior
  • O'Jays- Ship Ahoy after Back Stabbers
  • BT Express- Energy To Burn after Non-Stop
  • Johnny Nash- My Merry-Go-Round after I Can See Clearly Now
  • Sly & The Family Stone- Small Talk after There's A Riot Goin' On and Fresh
  • Arlo Guthrie- Last Of The Brooklyn Cowboys after Hobo's Lullabye

I covered this phenomenon in a previous thread, “Why They Weren’t Quad.”

It’s due to the nature of the beast, the record company. When an album unexpectedly hits big, it’s too late to invest in a quad mix. By the time it’s finished and released, the public will have moved on. Unless the album has “legs,” meaning a long sales life, they prefer to pin their hopes on the follow-up, though reality usually disappoints.

You missed a few:

Michael Murphey - Swans Against the Sun after Blue Sky Night Thunder
The Manhattans - It Feels So Good after The Manhattans
The Miracles Love Crazy after City of Angels

CBS sure had a bunch of these.
Lou Rawls - Unmistakably Lou after All Things in Time would also count, except it was never released.

I covered this phenomenon in a previous thread, “Why They Weren’t Quad.”

It’s due to the nature of the beast, the record company. When an album unexpectedly hits big, it’s too late to invest in a quad mix. By the time it’s finished and released, the public will have moved on. Unless the album has “legs,” meaning a long sales life, they prefer to pin their hopes on the follow-up, though reality usually disappoints.

You forgot:

Michael Murphey - Swans Against the Sun after Blue Sky Night Thunder
The Manhattans - It Feels So Good after The Manhattans
The Miracles Love Crazy after City of Angels

CBS sure had a bunch of these.
Lou Rawls - Unmistakably Lou after All Things in Time would also count, except it was never released.

Does Aerosmith's first with "Dream On " count ? It was followed by Get Your Wings.

Does Aerosmith's first with "Dream On " count ? It was followed by Get Your Wings.

I'll add it. Love that album, would've been so cool to hear uber-discrete quad mixes of tracks like "Dream On" and "Mama Kin".

Updated List:
  • Michael Murphey - Swans Against the Sun after Blue Sky Night Thunder
  • The Manhattans - It Feels So Good after The Manhattans
  • The Miracles Love Crazy after City of Angels
  • Aerosmith- Get Your Wings after Aerosmith
And Eggplant, did not know there was already a thread covering this, my apologies. Consider this a bump I guess.

“Get Your Wings” had three singles:

“Same Old Song and Dance”
“Train Kept A-Rollin’”
“S.O.S. (Too Bad)”

None of them cracked the charts at all, but nonetheless got played enough on AOR stations for the album to sell. A clip from “Song and Dance” was the theme song for KOLA FM Los Angeles in 1975.

As for my “Why They Weren’t Quad” thread, I can’t make it come up in Search.
Certainly understand why you didn’t find it if the author can’t.

How about "One Man Dog" after "Mudslide Slim and the Blue Horizon"?

Yep — that’s another, although in this case it took TWO hit albums for the Warner boys to finally issue a quad, probably due to being a little too close to that format’s inauguration. Mudslide’s predecessor Sweet Baby James sold almost as well (and was even picked to be what would have been Taylor’s first catalog DVD-A release).

And here’s another:

Phoebe Snow Second Childhood after Phoebe Snow.

Updated List:
  • Michael Murphey - Swans Against the Sunafter Blue Sky Night Thunder
  • The Miracles- Love Crazy after City of Angels
  • Aerosmith- Get Your Wings after Aerosmith
  • Maria Muldaur - Waitress in a Donut Shop after Maria Muldaur
  • James Taylor- One Man Dog after Mud Slide Slim and Sweet Baby James
  • Phoebe Snow - Second Childhood after Phoebe Snow
How about Pure Prairie League’s Two Lane Highway after Bustin’ Out and Alice Cooper’s Billion Dollar Babies after School’s Out?

Last edited:
How about Pure Prairie League’s Two Lane Highway after Bustin’ Out and Alice Cooper’s Billion Dollar Babies after School’s Out?

Two more right there.

In the Cooper case, the follow-up (BDB) was a bigger smash than its predecessor (#1).
But still, SO was huge (#2).

So disappointed I was to discover that neither quad PPL album had their big single Amie. Although that track appeared on 1972’s Bustin’ Out (the non-quad predecessor), it did not make the Top 40 chart until 1975, the year TLH was released.

As to Deep Purple and why Stormbringer yet neither album between that and Machine Head, I have no explanation. All four sold well, charting in the US at #1, 4, 3, and 6 respectively. Whatever the reason, it doesn’t fit the pattern of this thread. I see no reason why Warner wouldn’t have made a quad release for all four. Truly unexplainable omissions like these were the main subject of my original thread. Given “the rules,” they should have been released.

Update:
  • Wild Cherry - Electrified Funk after Wild Cherry
  • Redbone - Beaded Dreams after Wovoka
  • Return To Forever - Musicmagic after Romantic Warrior
  • O'Jays - Ship Ahoy after Back Stabbers
  • BT Express - Energy To Burn after Non-Stop
  • Johnny Nash - My Merry-Go-Round after I Can See Clearly Now
  • Sly & The Family Stone - Small Talk after There's A Riot Goin' On and Fresh
  • Arlo Guthrie - Last Of The Brooklyn Cowboys after Hobo's Lullabye
  • Michael Murphey - Swans Against the Sunafter Blue Sky Night Thunder
  • The Miracles - Love Crazy after City of Angels
  • Aerosmith - Get Your Wings after Aerosmith
  • Maria Muldaur - Waitress in a Donut Shop after Maria Muldaur
  • James Taylor - One Man Dog after Mud Slide Slim and Sweet Baby James
  • Phoebe Snow - Second Childhood after Phoebe Snow
  • Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies after School's Out
  • Pure Prairie League - Two Lane Highway after Bustin' Out

As to Deep Purple and why Stormbringer yet neither album between that and Machine Head, I have no explanation. All four sold well, charting in the US at #1, 4, and 6 respectably. Whatever the reason, it doesn’t fit the pattern of this thread. I see no reason why Warner wouldn’t have made a quad release for all four. Truly unexplainable omissions like these were the main subject of my original thread. Given “the rules,” they should have been released.

Burn may have actually been done- it was listed in the Harrison tape catalog along with several other unreleased quads.

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 2.44.50 PM.png

Who Do We Think We Are seems like such an obvious follow-up to Machine Head (which got two different quad mixes!). Who knows what happened there. We also didn't get any other quad Black Sabbath albums to follow Paranoid for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Back