Quadio titles from Rhinohandmade?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Lindgren

It's almost a years since the latest (last?) Quad title from Rhinohandmade. Anyone who think that we can expect more to come...?

Mats

I wouldn't be suprised if that was it now. For a second release it was a pretty poor choice, and obviously didn't sell. Again, discisions made by those who really don't understand the market, proves they didn't make use of the contacts here.

Shame, but i think we saw it coming................

OD

Right, but hasn't the flow of all new titles from Rhino been down a bit? I'm still hopeful something will happen as we were assured it was still game on. Eventually the Aretha Franklin title will sell out and a lot of folks did/are buying.

Best of Aretha Franklin Quadraphonic
http://www.rhino.com/shop/product/aretha-franklin-the-best-of-aretha-franklin-quadraphonic-mix-handmade

Also here's their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/RHINO

EDIT: Can still be had for $29.98 at Rhino. But here's one for $99 at Amazon :eek: http://www.amazon.com/Aretha-Franklin-Quadraphonic-Rhino-Handmade/dp/B0040AJCFU

I guess the release schdule has slowed since they fired half of their staff. The "might have beens" were indeed glorious though...original quad mixes of 'Close to the Edge' and 'Brother and Sisters' had me going. I guess we can still hope, though the fact that the Rhino personnel that used to check in here and have seemingly vaporized means they didn't survive the cut. John

Brothers and Sisters CD-4 LP's were distributed by WEA. Capricorn is now pressed by Universal/Mercury. Yes, Yes is still on WEA, so that title could be a Quadio.

Linda
I guess the release schdule has slowed since they fired half of their staff. The "might have beens" were indeed glorious though...original quad mixes of 'Close to the Edge' and 'Brother and Sisters' had me going. I guess we can still hope, though the fact that the Rhino personnel that used to check in here and have seemingly vaporized means they didn't survive the cut. John

It IS Rhino doing it under the direction of the Warner suits. Same result, different semantics. I find it hard to believe that a $29.95 disc which was sold directly, instead of through middlemen, which didn't need remixing was sold at a loss. I doubt Aretha lost money either. So, what are they up to? Corporate stupidity like Capitol originally passing on the Beatles or NBC recording over videotapes of classic Carson episodes? Or, was Quadio an interim project until they roll out a line of Blu-Ray-A? Time will tell. The record companies bitch about profitability, yet the continue to leave money on the table.

Linda

Ass**** who do not ask before they issue!

If you are selling to quadraphiles and surroundies, ASK what we will shell out for month after month.

Issue two pieces and shove off? BULL****!

That is not a fair statement, it was the suits at Warner who stopped it.

Why would a record company stop a division from something that actually sold and made money, when the whole industry is going down the tubes because people are not buying discs anymore.

It's very hard to understand.............

The record companies bitch about profitability, yet the continue to leave money on the table.

Linda

Right, it's what I've been saying from what we've seen, the record companies don't know what they're doing at all. The music market in the 21st century has matured and fractured into sub-groups or niche markets and they need to understand them in order to grow them into larger franchises. Sorry, but there will be no "Beatles" anymore or "super groups from the 70s" where you can just put out one release and every demographic will buy. That train left the station years ago. The best you can hope for is some sensation act like Lady Gaga to quickly cash in before the public gets tierd of the artists antics, unless they continue to have great songs or are replaced by something else for the time being.

The Record companies IMHO had it right with DVD-Audio / SACD 10 years ago to give the public better audio for the same price as a CD. But like Quad perhaps the timing wasn't right as:

1. Unnecessary format war for one "to rule them all." When in reality they now and forever will live side by side as both are enjoyable products and will continue to be so. SACD also suffered from "it didn't know what it was" until it went "Hybrid" with a CD layer.

2. Which leads to how many SACD's we're returned to the store as it wouldn't play on a regular CD player? You couldn't hear what you we're getting so why buy? Many serious collectors and average music fans also just completed their CD collections by 2000. You want me to now buy what? And without listening stations and to also let folks know of the ease, no hassle to connect, well, your going to have a problem selling a product at first. But the public eventually catches on and did buy and still wants as eBay / Amazon prices will tell you, even in a down economy.

Rhino is/was on the proper path of really growing the Multi-Channel market and getting the all important Quadraphonic material a proper modern re-release to preserve for all time these tapes and recordings. Of course Rhino made money from the "Quadio" project and will continue to do so. Look what TCM (Turner Classic Movies) also a division of Warner has been able to do with vintage material like Movies. They also release CD soundtracks from Movies. They continue to grow an ever increasing market from humble beginnings. The folks here are loyal and as devoted as we are. Here is their store (TCM Vault Collection):
http://shop.tcm.com/vault/default.asp?cat=uni&semref=21365

Not that anyone in the Music Industry will read this post, but if lessons are learned and we get the right team working at the record companies so called "small" markets will grow into much, much larger one's as TCM has proved. This also goes for new music, as we also have small fractured markets and tastes. Don't expect downloading/streaming alone to save the music industry because it won't IMHO. It's a matter of understanding these fractured listening tastes/markets and giving better service with better product as simple as that.

When we did the Allmans Live set, There was no Brothers and Sisters, in fact we asked for Laid Back and B & S as they were rumoured, and they could never locate anything with that title also. Too bad, both are wonderful and would sell.
Brothers and Sisters CD-4 LP's were distributed by WEA. Capricorn is now pressed by Universal/Mercury. Yes, Yes is still on WEA, so that title could be a Quadio.

Linda

I suggest we start an email campaign to [email protected], telling them we've noticed they've stopped the quadio releases, notice the broken link at the end of the Aretha Franklin description, that we feel back stabbed and lied to with the promise of future releases such as Yes, and that we will not be buying any Rhino product until they can resume quadio releases.

Not much of a threat there, can't say there have been any "must have" releases i've seen

OD

I was tempted a year ago to post that Aretha in quad was a mistake...but thought better not to as they appeared to be wanting to do something for us all.....but a successful hard rock/jazz release should be followed with a popular title in a similar vein rather than with somrthing completely different ...I know MFSL wished they'd followed the Beatles box set with the Rolling Stones box set, instead of a Frank Sinatra box set, it killed the continuity of their sales flow and promotion and the frank sinatra set sold slowly taking forever to clear..

But they have worked really hard at trying to stop people from buying their product..for the best part of 10 years they've been brickwall limiting most of their stereo cd's...it was amazing hearing the general decline in sound with every monkees reissue...comparing the same cd title from years before to their latest offering...sonically worse but with more bonus tracks seems to be their favourite thing to do.....I drew the line for remastered reissues in stereo when I heard their reissue of Bee Gees greatest...it was simply abyssmal

and what happened to their Jan and Dean box set... carnival of sound

Last edited:
I'd like to know whether brickwalling is strictly an American phenomenon. I haven't heard complaints of the Japanese or English music companies doing this to their releases.

Back