• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Quality BD-R discs for burning back-up copies

boondocks

300 Club - QQ All Star
Hope this is proper forum...anyway I've been burning a fair amount of BD-R 25GB & 50GB discs lately. The coaster rate with the DL discs has been as high as 50%.
Since I'm on a low budget, I've tried to find a reasonable replacement for Verbatim here in the US, but so far no success. Optical Quantum gets good reviews on Amazon but the DL 50 gig discs
give me about a 50/50 coaster rate with a recently purchased 25 disc spindle. BTW, these discs read as Ritek-DR3-000.
I also just bought some "smartbuy" brand discs on Amazon the seller says are from a prominent label and they also are Ritek-DR3-000. Arrrrgh!, as Pogo used to say.

So if any of you have found recently a brand of BD-R (prefer ink jet printable, but list anything good) that works well with your burner, please do list it.
Thanks!

BTW I'm using an LG WH14NS40 - OEM burner in my pc.

boondocks

300 Club - QQ All Star
Backups, I've had several HDD's drives die in recent years so I'm trying to keep digital copies as well as physical copies. Also I run across bootleg stuff and use a program to put multiple videos on one ISO.

LuvMyQuad

800 Club - QQ All Star
Backups, I've had several HDD's drives die in recent years so I'm trying to keep digital copies as well as physical copies. Also I run across bootleg stuff and use a program to put multiple videos on one ISO.
I see. I'm not sure of the statistics, but I'd bet your data would be safer if copied to a backup HDD that is used exclusively as a backup device than it is when scattered over hundreds of BD-Rs which, even if not defective now, likely will be unreadable in a few years. Hell, they cant even stop the factory pressed disks from rotting.

sukothai

600 Club - QQ All Star
The M-Disc BD-Rs are supposed to last for 1000 years. Of course we won't know if that's true for a while and you need an M-Disc capable burner and they cost more.

boondocks

300 Club - QQ All Star
The M-Disc BD-Rs are supposed to last for 1000 years. Of course we won't know if that's true for a while and you need an M-Disc capable burner and they cost more.
Actually I have an MDisc burner, sukothai, but as my first post says I'm trying to find if there are reliable BD-R blanks cheaper than Verbatim. In the US we all know Verbatim is pretty much the best, but on a
retiree's budget pretty expensive.
Apparently much of the, what I'll call "second tier" blanks are these Ritek-DR3-000 at the moment. Seems that TDK & Maxell don't actually make discs any more, either.

This is a site that reviews DVD quality, not BD-R, but I assume their observations on companies actually manufacturing discs holds true:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

krkier

400 Club - QQ All Star
From my experiences with CD-R and DVD-Rs the coaster rate diminishes rapidly with lower burning speed. Especially with double layer media.

If you have used the maximum burning speed all the time try lowering the burning speed.

-Kristian

boondocks

300 Club - QQ All Star
From my experiences with CD-R and DVD-Rs the coaster rate diminishes rapidly with lower burning speed. Especially with double layer media.

If you have used the maximum burning speed all the time try lowering the burning speed.

-Kristian
I agree. I haven't used max burning speed ever for DVD's and BD-R's. I leave IMGBurn set on 2x....if the minimum is higher, IMGBurn will adjust on the fly.

DuncanS

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I haven't used any DL BD-R, but I have an LG M-Disc BD Burner and it works well with TDK 25GB BD-R. I have in the past tried using TDK DVD+R DL (on the LG BD & HP DVD Burners) and the coaster rate is about 1 good for every 2 to 3 bad. I suspect that burning the lower layer is a bit of an issue on all media.

sukothai

600 Club - QQ All Star
Actually I have an MDisc burner, sukothai, but as my first post says I'm trying to find if there are reliable BD-R blanks cheaper than Verbatim. In the US we all know Verbatim is pretty much the best, but on a
retiree's budget pretty expensive.
Apparently much of the, what I'll call "second tier" blanks are these Ritek-DR3-000 at the moment. Seems that TDK & Maxell don't actually make discs any more, either.

This is a site that reviews DVD quality, not BD-R, but I assume their observations on companies actually manufacturing discs holds true:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
If you are using them for backup, my concern would be less about coaster rate and more about longevity. The DVD-R/BD-R format by its very nature is going to degrade and needs to be replaced every few years.

boondocks

300 Club - QQ All Star
I haven't used any DL BD-R, but I have an LG M-Disc BD Burner and it works well with TDK 25GB BD-R. I have in the past tried using TDK DVD+R DL (on the LG BD & HP DVD Burners) and the coaster rate is about 1 good for every 2 to 3 bad. I suspect that burning the lower layer is a bit of an issue on all media.
Thanks, DuncanS, I've heard good things about TDK and bought the CD-R's in the past but....
Supposedly TDK is not themselves making discs anymore. Can I ask what is the code on the disc or as given by a software program?
...taking a break to look on Amazon, they have TDK branded discs but the prices are crazy. Where are you buying TDK from?
But yeah, all my coasters are with the DL BD-R discs.(Ritek-DR3-000) I don't believe I've had any coasters from the Optical Quantum 25GB inkjet printable discs (OTCBDR-002-000)

DuncanS

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Thanks, DuncanS, I've heard good things about TDK and bought the CD-R's in the past but....
Supposedly TDK is not themselves making discs anymore. Can I ask what is the code on the disc or as given by a software program?
...taking a break to look on Amazon, they have TDK branded discs but the prices are crazy. Where are you buying TDK from?
But yeah, all my coasters are with the DL BD-R discs.(Ritek-DR3-000) I don't believe I've had any coasters from the Optical Quantum 25GB inkjet printable discs (OTCBDR-002-000)
I got mine from amazon.co.uk, not cheap, mine are made by TDK, but I did buy the spindle of 50 in 2015.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002RT85RW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

boondocks

300 Club - QQ All Star