Quality BD-R discs for burning back-up copies

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandrix

Senior Surround Collector
QQ Supporter
Hope this is proper forum...anyway I've been burning a fair amount of BD-R 25GB & 50GB discs lately. The coaster rate with the DL discs has been as high as 50%.
Since I'm on a low budget, I've tried to find a reasonable replacement for Verbatim here in the US, but so far no success. Optical Quantum gets good reviews on Amazon but the DL 50 gig discs
give me about a 50/50 coaster rate with a recently purchased 25 disc spindle. BTW, these discs read as Ritek-DR3-000.
I also just bought some "smartbuy" brand discs on Amazon the seller says are from a prominent label and they also are Ritek-DR3-000. Arrrrgh!, as Pogo used to say.

So if any of you have found recently a brand of BD-R (prefer ink jet printable, but list anything good) that works well with your burner, please do list it.
Thanks!

BTW I'm using an LG WH14NS40 - OEM burner in my pc.

Backups, I've had several HDD's drives die in recent years so I'm trying to keep digital copies as well as physical copies. Also I run across bootleg stuff and use a program to put multiple videos on one ISO.

Backups, I've had several HDD's drives die in recent years so I'm trying to keep digital copies as well as physical copies. Also I run across bootleg stuff and use a program to put multiple videos on one ISO.

I see. I'm not sure of the statistics, but I'd bet your data would be safer if copied to a backup HDD that is used exclusively as a backup device than it is when scattered over hundreds of BD-Rs which, even if not defective now, likely will be unreadable in a few years. Hell, they cant even stop the factory pressed disks from rotting.

The M-Disc BD-Rs are supposed to last for 1000 years. Of course we won't know if that's true for a while and you need an M-Disc capable burner and they cost more.

The M-Disc BD-Rs are supposed to last for 1000 years. Of course we won't know if that's true for a while and you need an M-Disc capable burner and they cost more.
Actually I have an MDisc burner, sukothai, but as my first post says I'm trying to find if there are reliable BD-R blanks cheaper than Verbatim. In the US we all know Verbatim is pretty much the best, but on a
retiree's budget pretty expensive.
Apparently much of the, what I'll call "second tier" blanks are these Ritek-DR3-000 at the moment. Seems that TDK & Maxell don't actually make discs any more, either.

This is a site that reviews DVD quality, not BD-R, but I assume their observations on companies actually manufacturing discs holds true:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

From my experiences with CD-R and DVD-Rs the coaster rate diminishes rapidly with lower burning speed. Especially with double layer media.

If you have used the maximum burning speed all the time try lowering the burning speed.

-Kristian

From my experiences with CD-R and DVD-Rs the coaster rate diminishes rapidly with lower burning speed. Especially with double layer media.

If you have used the maximum burning speed all the time try lowering the burning speed.

-Kristian
I agree. I haven't used max burning speed ever for DVD's and BD-R's. I leave IMGBurn set on 2x....if the minimum is higher, IMGBurn will adjust on the fly.

I haven't used any DL BD-R, but I have an LG M-Disc BD Burner and it works well with TDK 25GB BD-R. I have in the past tried using TDK DVD+R DL (on the LG BD & HP DVD Burners) and the coaster rate is about 1 good for every 2 to 3 bad. I suspect that burning the lower layer is a bit of an issue on all media.

Actually I have an MDisc burner, sukothai, but as my first post says I'm trying to find if there are reliable BD-R blanks cheaper than Verbatim. In the US we all know Verbatim is pretty much the best, but on a
retiree's budget pretty expensive.
Apparently much of the, what I'll call "second tier" blanks are these Ritek-DR3-000 at the moment. Seems that TDK & Maxell don't actually make discs any more, either.

This is a site that reviews DVD quality, not BD-R, but I assume their observations on companies actually manufacturing discs holds true:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

If you are using them for backup, my concern would be less about coaster rate and more about longevity. The DVD-R/BD-R format by its very nature is going to degrade and needs to be replaced every few years.

I haven't used any DL BD-R, but I have an LG M-Disc BD Burner and it works well with TDK 25GB BD-R. I have in the past tried using TDK DVD+R DL (on the LG BD & HP DVD Burners) and the coaster rate is about 1 good for every 2 to 3 bad. I suspect that burning the lower layer is a bit of an issue on all media.
Thanks, DuncanS, I've heard good things about TDK and bought the CD-R's in the past but....
Supposedly TDK is not themselves making discs anymore. Can I ask what is the code on the disc or as given by a software program?
...taking a break to look on Amazon, they have TDK branded discs but the prices are crazy. Where are you buying TDK from?
But yeah, all my coasters are with the DL BD-R discs.(Ritek-DR3-000) I don't believe I've had any coasters from the Optical Quantum 25GB inkjet printable discs (OTCBDR-002-000)

Thanks, DuncanS, I've heard good things about TDK and bought the CD-R's in the past but....
Supposedly TDK is not themselves making discs anymore. Can I ask what is the code on the disc or as given by a software program?
...taking a break to look on Amazon, they have TDK branded discs but the prices are crazy. Where are you buying TDK from?
But yeah, all my coasters are with the DL BD-R discs.(Ritek-DR3-000) I don't believe I've had any coasters from the Optical Quantum 25GB inkjet printable discs (OTCBDR-002-000)

I got mine from amazon.co.uk, not cheap, mine are made by TDK, but I did buy the spindle of 50 in 2015.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002RT85RW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back