Queen “Bohemian Rhapsody” Biopic

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a detail on this listing that made me say WHAT?....there is going to be a special clear CASSETTE edition...huh... the last paragraph:eek:
Cassettes are enjoying a bit of a comeback, at this time. I have a buddy who regularly bought super-cheap cassettes, en masse, just to enjoy in his pickup on the way to work. No more, for the time-being. Lately, music shops have jacked-up prices for cassettes, 10x or more, in his area.

Cassettes are enjoying a bit of a comeback, at this time. I have a buddy who regularly bought super-cheap cassettes, en masse, just to enjoy in his pickup on the way to work. No more, for the time-being. Lately, music shops have jacked-up prices for cassettes, 10x or more, in his area.

You know why they are doing it....I can tell you...it's to appeal to the millennials...many of these "retro" products are focused on that group...it's something "new" for them...same with vinyl...

There is a great movie about the band in the last couple years with Freddie that I wish this was. He made more than 2 albums of music (not to mention the several videos he worked on) with the band, when his body was deteriorating from the inside from that dreadful disease. All the while, they were being hounded by the savage UK tabloid press acting as an agent of Western prudishness that kept the band from achieving all it deserved on more than a couple fronts.

This is clearly not it, and it's a shame that both the band and Hollywood would seemingly not be interested in telling that story but rehashing the same rock success story using their rise and fall to fit Hollywood standards.

IMDB says Atmos
That doesn't mean the songs are presented as such though. I think that's what the question was angled toward. Even if a movie is mixed in surround the songs can still just be stereo. That's most typical, actually.
In my experience, discrete songs in movies is pretty rare.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed on new Atmos mixes!, however unlikely.

I lot of music in movies is presented in surround but of course mostly upmixed. I read Pento is often used, but maybe it’s just run through a DTS or Dolby upmixer? But I’m sure most music is in all channels. Even our local TV channels have surround activity for many background songs which I’ve just recently noticed now that I have a 5.1 system in my new living room.

They should include a 5.1 mix of Bohemian Rhapsody from A Night At The Opera DVDA in lossless audio as a bonus on the blu-ray release. Might create some interest in surround audio for some. (And they could follow that with BDA surround releases of ANATO and The Game!)

Looks that way, and Brian May and I think alike as Sacha Cohen is just too big of a name to play a historic character. I would find that distracting as well. You almost need a nobody to play the main lead because anybody with a history is too difficult to ignore.

Kurt Russel playing Elvis in that TV series back in the 70's. I've seen it - I don't find Russel believable in that part.
However, Gary Busey as Buddy Holly was a pretty decent choice for the Buddy Holly story. If I'm not mistaken, Busey had only played secondary characters up to that point - never the lead. That made his portrayal that much more believable. You don't know him, so it's not as big of a leap to believe that he is Buddy.
Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash is still on the fence for me. While I think he captured a lot of Johnny's mannerisms, he didn't look the part.
Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles, well, if the man himself was OK with that casting choice then nothing I can say means anything.

I thought Gary Busey did a nice job as Buddy Holly....Busey was 33 during the filming and Buddy Holly was only 22 when he died...I was surprised to find out the actors actually played the instruments and did their own singing live during the production run....I thought it was more credible than Lou Diamond Phillips as Ritchie Valens in La Bamba….

I am planning on watching it in theater. I love Queen. You can go to Amazon and read the CD reviews, of course all over the place. I am going to purchase the 24/96 stereo from HDTracks.

Love Queen, too but after reading two dismal reviews by well respected reviewers I'll wait until it's on FIOS. It was said Rami Malek did a superb job as Freddie but the movie is not so much about Queen as it is a biography [slowly paced] about Farrokh Bulsara AKA the one and only Freddie Mercury.

I'll wait for your review, Markie!

Another one bites the DUST?

Just seen Bohemian Rhapsody at the flicks and it was excellent. :love: Was a bit sceptical as it's had mixed reviews here too, but I freaking loved it! Man Rami Malek should get an Oscar - how he got his voice to sound like that I don't know?! It was funny, moving and of course sounded epic. Great use of 'Galileo' when they were cutting ANATO in the film. The last 20 mins at wem-ber-lee were so good I was almost joining in with the crowd! Yeah I'm sure a bit of artistic license was used, but I came out of the cinema with a big smile. :)

Just seen Bohemian Rhapsody at the flicks and it was excellent. :love: Was a bit sceptical as it's had mixed reviews here too, but I freaking loved it! Man Rami Malek should get an Oscar - how he got his voice to sound like that I don't know?! It was funny, moving and of course sounded epic. Great use of 'Galileo' when they were cutting ANATO in the film. The last 20 mins at wem-ber-lee were so good I was almost joining in with the crowd! Yeah I'm sure a bit of artistic license was used, but I came out of the cinema with a big smile. :)

So will Master Smithers be Trick or Treating on Halloween dressed as Freddie Mercury?
57f228424b0fd481e7cee7782d0ea5a5.jpg

Glad you enjoyed it, Smithers!

Ha I'm not sure if the tash will get in the way of my pumpkin ale?! Great outfit but to be honest the perms of Brian May and John Deacon looked scarier! :giggle:

What a great band! :rocks

If you wear that outfit, Smithers ... I'm certain ALL eyes will be on you. And if you're worried about drinking Pumpkin Ale while 'sporting' that 'stash' USE A STRAW!

Back