DVD/DTS Poll Queen - A Night At The Opera (30th Anniversary Collector's Edition) [DTS 96/24 DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Queen - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

• Total voters
FWIW, DVD Audio Extractor (v7.6.0) shows two Titles for this disc, and both are shown to have these:

LPCM (48kHz 24bit 2Ch)
DTS (48kHz 24bit 6ch)
AC3 (48kHz 24bit 2ch) Director's commentary

However, when actually extracted to .wav,
the DTS tracks of Title 1 are 96kHz 24bit
the DTS tracks of Title 2 are 96kHz 24bit

There are two IFO files in the /VIDEO folder of this disc.
Audiomuxer reports both IFO files as encoding 96/24 DTS tracks

so, some sort of metadata error, or something purely to do with DVD AE? No matter.

Next up: comparing mixes of 'Prophet's Song' (DVDA VS DTS)

Last edited:
Apart from the compression and brightening of the 2005 mix, the only real difference in 'Prophet's Song' is that the 'swirling wind' that opens the tracks has actually been *truncated* significantly on the new mix. On the DVDA a there are two rounds of 'swirls' leading into the guitar entrance, the 2005 DTS mix only has the second one! The 2005 track is correspondingly shorter in duration too.

I also checked 'Seaside Rendezvous' in case the missing swirl had been tacked onto the end of that. Nope. It's gone.

Everything else -- including the surround panning of the vocal solo in the middle, and of the band 'hits' that follow it -- has the same placement on both. So I don't think it's been remixed at all (nor sourced from different tapes). Just edited.

Compare that to 'God Save the Queen', which is obviously a remix.

Brian May said 30,th Anniversary disk 1 cannot be bettered??
I wonder what he thought about more recent mixes eg 2011?

Hi people, as I stated before, I have a very standard CD,/DVD Player. I have NO knowledge of the details eg Different mixes, remasters, numbers etc, and I can understand if your thinking what is he doing here?

So before I leave this (very interesting) website, can you please answer my 3 Questions.

On disk 2 (DVD) Freddys vocals drop out on the second verse of Your my Best Friend, and I can only hear the (brilliant) vocal harmonies, he's vocals returns for the remainder on the song.

Sweet Lady: On the (very strong) intro, 1st guitar is very faint before the strong 2nd guitar comes in, and I'm talking FAINT.

Does anyone know what Brian May thinks of the mixes/remasters AFTER this 30th Anniversary set??
Brian said, it cannot be bettered.

I did get replies regarding Brian, but the initial question got sidetracked.

Before i leave, I want to thank you guys for your time answering my (no knowledge) questions.

Cheers
Martin

Back