Queen "A Night At The Opera" original Elliot Scheiner mix on eBay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to this old S&V article, it seems those two didn't quite see eye-to-eye during remix sessions, which would explain why ES was not employed again to remix The Game for DVD-A.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/surround-work-part-1

Thanks for posting this; it's great to get that kind of insight into Scheiner's working methods. I know many people love center-channel lead vocals, but I generally don't. (It bothers me in some recordings more than others--I have a hard time listening to Randy Newman's Little Criminals, for instance.) So I was really glad to hear Scheiner say this:
"I do the same thing with lead vocals in almost all of my mixes," Scheiner says. "Stipe is in every speaker, but he's a little lower in the center and the surrounds. Some other engineers put lead vocals solely in the center. Frank Filipetti - he loves the center. I'm still afraid to do that. You don't know what the speaker configuration is in somebody's house."

ps. one thing sjcorne's screengrabs of the waveform comparisons of the ES & ES + BM 5.1's of Bo Rhap say to me, just without listening to them right now, is ES' mix would more than likely sound more dynamic than the ES + BM tweaked version (just as the track should be i would say, building in intensity).

said it before on QQ, will say it again here now, when Scheiner gets it right he is the unbeatable 5.1 music mix engineer, imho.

Thanks for posting this; it's great to get that kind of insight into Scheiner's working methods. I know many people love center-channel lead vocals, but I generally don't. (It bothers me in some recordings more than others--I have a hard time listening to Randy Newman's Little Criminals, for instance.) So I was really glad to hear Scheiner say this:
Sounds more like a concession than a statement of preference. He says he does it because he doesn't know if all end users will be set up properly.

I know many people love center-channel lead vocals, but I generally don't. (It bothers me in some recordings more than others--I have a hard time listening to Randy Newman's Little Criminals, for instance.)

I generally like them, but I find I'm always adjusting the volume of the center...the vocals always seem either too quiet or too hot. I do enjoy listening to the solo vocal feed though.

I really don't mind whether its true or phantom center as long as the vocals are panned upfront...the mixes with vocals at equal level in all channels just don't work as well for me.

I generally like them, but I find I'm always adjusting the volume of the center...the vocals always seem either too quiet or too hot. I do enjoy listening to the solo vocal feed though.

I really don't mind whether its true or phantom center as long as the vocals are panned upfront...the mixes with vocals at equal level in all channels just don't work as well for me.

I'm with you: multiple channels @ equal levels = unsatisfying. I prefer a "divergent" vocal mix across the fronts, using both real and phantom centers (but mixed lower in LF & RF). Still: lots of ways to skin a cat.

I expect what markshan said above about ES making a concession r/t stating a preference is right--but I'm still glad he made the concession. I'm one of those people whose room just doesn't allow for an ideal or "proper" setup.

If anyone is interested, I have a factory sealed copy of the super rare, true Scheiner mix that I will making available for sale soon in the Swap Meet. :rocks F5752D77-37FB-4C00-AD99-3297F042AF76.jpeg9EFFFB74-4216-4F18-ACC5-1BA5B4C7A23D.jpeg

A lot of QQ posters have complained about the Barclay James Harvest 5.1 remasters indicating that the center vocal channel is WAAAYYYYY too loud and detracts from the remix. Utilizing four full range speakers [NO center] in my main system with two giant subs [6'2 inches w/2000 watt bass amp] they ALL sound absolutely fine!

Readjusting your pre/pro may be judicious on occasion [i.e. when the rears are encoded way too low] but constantly re~adjusting it every time you play a 5.1 disc is kind of ridiculous. Sometimes, LESS is MORE!

Steve Wilson himself surmised that listening in stereo is actually multichannel with the phantom center acting as a third speaker!
He's right!

Last edited:
Back