Question about saving/converting to .flac files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I have tried this before and it never works so I figured one of you guys/gals would know WTF I'm not doing right.

I have a 6ch .wav file in Sound Forge, 24/96, and when I try to 'Save As' a .flac file, I get an error that says there in NO TEMPLATE for saving the file. I don't know what that is.

Can someone help? Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

FLAC error.jpg

Generally speaking (I don't use SoundForge) I export whatever I'm working on as a multichannel .wav, and then open it in foobar and convert to flac using foobar - I haven't had one issue so far working this way.

I tend to use Foobar too but AudioMuxer also contains an 'Audio Conversion' tool that does a good job.

I've never seen that message in many years of converting mch .wav to flac, so I wonder if it's to do with the particular .wav format that Soundforge is exporting to.

(I've never used Soundforge)

I have never found a suitable template for saving a Soundforge file as FLAC. I always save as a .wav and then convert to FLAC using audiomuxer. If I ever run across such a template, I'll gladly share it for the Soundforge users.

I have tried this before and it never works so I figured one of you guys/gals would know WTF I'm not doing right.

I have a 6ch .wav file in Sound Forge, 24/96, and when I try to 'Save As' a .flac file, I get an error that says there in NO TEMPLATE for saving the file. I don't know what that is.

Thanks!

View attachment 31153

Yeah i don't think that you can link flac frontend directly to SF as a process tool. You have to save your work in wav and then compress to flac outside of SF. Funny thing is that it will open a flac file but when you go to save it auto converts that flac to wav. Your not doing anything wrong. Its just the program.

The input to FLAC has to be a 'wav' file, that is, in a WAV wrapper (the contents can be PCM, or even DTS or AC3) . So I agree, in this case I would save it first to a .wav file, just to make sure, *then* use a flac converter (e.g FLAC frontend, Audiomuxer, foobar, or any number of other possible user-friendly tools) to compress the file.

My issue has been opening 5.1 FLAC files and making a level adjustment (boost the rears, etc.) but SF will only save it as a 2 channel stereo FLAC. Started with MCH FLAC wan to save that MCH FLAC! Have to save as WAV then keep it or convert back to FLAC externally. It should be simple to save a 5.1 FLAC with tweaks.

Thanks!

View attachment 31153
I'm not familiar with Sound Forge these days. Maybe they have an active forum?

If you were to download Reaper DAW (which you can demo for free with no restrictions), you would be able to simply render to multichannel FLAC files all day long. It's a flagship DAW app and the feature set might be intimidating but you only need to learn the bits you actually want to use. (Like any other app of this scope.)
https://www.reaper.fm/download.php
Or, even easier: The conversion app XLD (X Lossless Decoder) It lets you convert anything lossless to anything else lossless. Also includes lossy formats. Includes the lossless decimation conversion for DSD to PCM (@ 88.2k) too. I recommend this one no matter who you are.
https://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html
Or even easier easier: xACT. Convert from WAV to FLAC or FLAC to WAV. And that's it! Nothing else to confuse you or let you set it wrong.
http://xact.scottcbrown.org/

Last edited:
Hey, dredged up an old one, eh?

I actually left a message at the Sound Forge forum, and was told that they would look into this and maybe have a fix "at a later date".

In the meantime, I have been doing what everyone else said above. Save to wav, convert to .flac in foobar!

Thanks to you all for the responses.

Yeah SF can only save stereo FLAC files.
Like you I always export surround to WAV and then convert to FLAC.

I have created mch wav files for all my dts cd's. when I import into foobar2k and right click convert, the output is still wav.

Do I need to install a converter and where do I tell it to output much flac? thanks

Foobar uses the last output format by default. You can change the output to FLAC in the output conversion options.

Right but where are those, checked preferences and only possible reference in in right click quick convert.Nothing yet. Thanks

I installed the encoder pack to foobar program folder, preferences components show converter, I select Edgar Winters wav files and right-click quick convert, only get wav files or I did get m4p all white noise. Where do I select Flac? On quick convert? I did a reboot as instructed.

Attachments

• encoder pack.PNG
    encoder pack.PNG
    344.1 KB · Views: 91
  • component.PNG
    component.PNG
    387 KB · Views: 96
  • output.PNG
    output.PNG
    405 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
But at least it gives me a settings option. The others proceed without prompts.

Back